Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Immortal Friends  by jenolas

Chapter 23. Gollum

Mithrandir had ever been endeared by the ability of the Woodelves to put aside their fears and despair, even if only for a night’s merrymaking at the time of one of the elvish celebrations. Over the years since he first appeared unexpectedly in Mirkwood, his visits had been sporadic at best, but the wizard had always made an effort to ensure they coincided with one of these nights. This time was no different for he had come to honour the King’s conception day. Thranduil had no doubt that he had other reasons on his agenda, but the certainty in no way diminished the enigmatic Istar’s reception by the King and his people. The fact that the wizard always greeted the elder Elf with an affectionate embrace regardless of in whose company they were, and that Thranduil allowed it, warmed the hearts of all especially Legolas.

Naturally a feast had been prepared for the occasion, and everyone eagerly anticipated the delicacies Tariel and her helpers had prepared, as well as the opportunity to savour some of the finest wines from the King’s cellar.

“I wonder what news Mithrandir brings this time,” Tathar whispered to his friend as they took their places at the banquet table.

“I know not, but I can tell you he brought Adar a gift from Lord Elrond,” replied Legolas also in a whisper. Tathar’s eyes widened with curiosity and anticipation. “It is just a book, nothing of interest to you,” Legolas teased fondly. Tathar was not one to enjoy reading, whereas Legolas did so whenever possible. He had only caught a brief glimpse of the tome, but it was long enough to see that it had a deep brown leather cover, with a gold embossed leaf border.

Both Adar and son had been unable to stifle their gasp of astonishment when it was realised that, by some means not apparent to either, the colour of the cover, and the golden border design matched exactly with that of the thin leather book mark Legolas had made as his gift. It was a simple, yet elegant piece of craftwork, all the more precious because it was made with loving hands. When questioned as to how such a coincidence could be, Mithrandir had shrugged and claimed ignorance of the ways of the Valar.

“A pity. I had hoped it was something more enjoyable, perhaps a flask of the cordial of Imladris, like last year. I suppose I will have to wait until our next trip there, whenever that may be, before I can once again sample that delicious nectar,” sighed a disappointed Tathar.

“Such a journey may be just around the corner, but such serious matters have no place at a party,” suggested Mithrandir with a knowing wink as he took his place beside Thranduil. Tathar and Legolas exchanged a questioning glance at this hint, but knew their friend well enough to realise he would say no more on the subject until he was ready. They decided to forgo the, mysterious wizard’s company in favour of joining in the dancing. Legolas had long decided that there was indeed some pleasure in being permitted to hold a fair maiden close, and Tathar had appointed himself chaperone to protect the honour of either the maiden or his friend, depending on who may have been attempting unseemly behaviour, at least in public.

Despite his apparent age, Mithrandir danced and sang with the Elves until the first rays of morning sunlight fought their way through the thick canopy, and no one guessed that he had taken only a few hours sleep before he met with the King, Legolas and the various captains to discuss the latest developments in the south. Thranduil paled when he heard that the creature, Gollum, was thought to know the whereabouts of the One Ring, and he readily agreed to allow the strange being to be brought to Mirkwood once he had been captured. Not only did he fear for the safety of the old Hobbit Bilbo who Mithrandir suspected to be in possession of the dark object, and of whom Thranduil was quite fond, but he feared for all of Arda.

“I have enlisted Aragorn’s aid in this matter, and I trust it will not be long before he succeeds in capturing the wretched Gollum,” Mithrandir said, noting the warm smile that lit Legolas’s eyes at the mention of his friend’s name. He was obviously delighted to hear that he was likely to see his friend soon.

Aragorn and he had not met often in the intervening years since the young Man had learned of his heritage, for the Ranger had spent many decades away in the south on errantry, but on the rare occasions their paths had crossed, it was as if they had never been parted so strong was their friendship. The last time they had done so was shortly after Aragorn had paid Lothlórien a visit. Legolas had never seen him so happy and sad at the same time… the future King and his love, Arwen had promised themselves to each other, but they did not yet have Elrond’s blessing. Thoughts of  Elrond reminded him he had not yet found out the title of  his Adar’s gift and so it was later that evening that Legolas’s curiosity  found him seeking a few moments with Thranduil in his private study.

“This book has no title, but judging by its weight it contains many words of wisdom,” joked Legolas as he picked up the thick volume that was quite heavy to hold an inspected both the cover and the spine.

“Open to the first page,” suggested Thranduil, smiling at the jest as he relaxed in his armchair and closely watched his son’s reactions as he read both the title page.

The Last Alliance, by Elrond Peredhel and Thranduil Oropherion.”  Legolas’s voice was filled with wonder and he looked to his Adar for an explanation.

“I see you wish to hear about the book, but first perhaps a glass of wine to overcome your shock?” suggested Thranduil with thinly veiled amusement. Legolas nodded sipped the wine whilst his Adar spoke.

“As you have often heard, your grandsire and Gil-galad shared a certain animosity for one another, and many versions of the events of that battle were spread, some based loosely on fact, but others on total nonsense. These rumours gained wide acceptance as fact when both Elrond and I did not speak more than a few words after the battle. We had both suffered grievous losses and we were not even inclined to march home together. This lead most to believe that the feud between Adar and the King was being perpetuated, and after about one hundred years, Elrond and I both tired of hearing such stories and so decided to write an account that no one could dispute. It has taken millennia, but the work is finally completed to our satisfaction. This is my copy, written in Elrond’s own hand,” he said proudly.

“May I read it?” asked Legolas, his eyes bright with anticipation as he held the book with new found reverence.

“Of course. You will note that there are several chapters about Elendil and his Men that you might find to be of great interest, he is after all, Aragorn’s forefather,” said Thranduil, his suggestion telling Legolas that his friendship with the Man at last met with his Adar’s approval.

                                                        ******

“We hatesess pretty Elvesess…do not leave usss here...” pleaded Gollum in his grating voice.

“I do not understand how you could bear that intolerable noise,” Tathar said to Aragorn as he and Legolas lead the Ranger and his captive to the dungeon that was to be the creature’s home.

“I have learned to ignore it, and considering how far from the Hall this dungeon is, I doubt it will bother even elvish ears,” he replied as he pushed the unwilling Gollum into the cell and locked the door.

“We hatess the dark, preciousss... yesss we do...” Aragorn ignored the mournful plea and advised his friends to go likewise.

“The creature can not be trusted, he is a servant of Sauron,” he said with disgust. “He spent the last five hundred years in the bowels of Moria, so I would not heed his claim that he fears the dark.” Legolas felt a measure of pity for the creature that had been so poorly used by the Dark Lord, and he found it difficult to believe Aragorn’s claim about the darkness, he knew he certainly would die if kept away from sunlight and starlight for too long. Tathar easily read his thoughts and spoke firmly.

“He is not an Elf, and will remain confined. We will provide him with food and water,” Tathar assured Aragorn. “Is that not so, Legolas?” he asked pointedly directing his words to his friend.

“Ai, as the King has decreed,” replied Legolas sadly.

Aragorn stayed a few days, and was pleased with the dedication of the Elves to the task most found distasteful. He had expected nothing less and left feeling reassured that at least one problem was well solved.

Unfortunately, the compassionate nature of the Elves won the battle with their common sense, and Legolas was asked to approach Thranduil with a petition to allow Gollum the limited freedom of a day in one of the more isolated trees. The King had faith in his people, and agreed to the request. For several weeks nothing untoward happened, and aside from his constant whining, and insults to all things Elvish, Gollum proved to be no more than a burden to be borne.

Thranduil rued the day he had allowed the creature into his forest when, after a fierce and totally unexpected Orc attack, the creature escaped. The cost to the Elves was high and several of their numbers were lost to Mandos’ Halls. Legolas blamed himself totally for the incident, and whilst Thranduil could not deny some fault on his son’s part, it was mainly an overabundance of compassion that was his downfall. Most of the blame lay squarely on the King’s shoulders for it was his decisions that lead to the creature being there in the first place, but even more disturbing was the recognition that some outside force had assisted on Gollum’s escape. Thranduil labelled himself a fool for being blind to the likelihood that Sauron would send spies into Mirkwood, sparing no effort in his attempt to retrieving the One Ring. Extra guards were set accordingly, and patrols moved closer to the inhabited areas in case of further attacks.

“You sent for me, Adar?’ asked a distraught Legolas. Thranduil drew his son into a comforting embrace.

“Do not feel guilty, Legolas. As you have learned over the years, the ultimate responsibility for all that occurs under my rule lies with me,” he whispered, kissing his son’s brow. “Now I need you to go to Imladris and inform the wizard and Elrond of this incident. Take Tathar and your patrol, and ride swiftly. The sooner Mithrandir hears our ill news, the sooner amends can be made,” he said his eyes filled with concern for their safety. “And Legolas, while you are there, you may like to ask Elrond to show you the copy of the book I made for him… “

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List