Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Immortal Friends  by jenolas

Chapter 24  Imladris

“Your brow is creased with worry, mellon nin. Did your news of Gollum’s disappearance not sit well with the Council?” asked Tathar as Legolas joined his Mirkwood friends for the meal.

“Surely you jest Tathar! How could it be anything but poorly received?” Legolas stared incredulously at his friend who simply shrugged his shoulders.

“A vain hope, I suppose. Is that why you are so disturbed?”

“Nay, my tale was difficult in the telling, but I admit to being somewhat relieved that Mithrandir had already heard of it from Gwaihir. Whilst he and Aragorn were none too pleased, the Istar merely suggested that perhaps the creature had some part to play in the future that has not yet been foreseen. I am afraid that my ill news was of little import compared to that of the others and it is that which worries me. There is treachery in Isengard, the One Ring has been found and Sauron is making ready to wage war. He has threatened the Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain, and will likely look to Mirkwood next,” he said as he idly picked at the plate of food before him.

“So when do we return?” asked Tathar not needing to be told of his friend’s intentions. Legolas was not the only Wood Elf fiercely loyal to his forest home.

“As soon as possible for I have much to report to Adar and we need to prepare for the dark times ahead,” Legolas said, unable to prevent the shiver in his blood at the mention of the evil that was slowly engulfing their world. “I will speak to Lord Elrond as soon as possible and inform him that we will be gone with the first light of dawn.”

                                                      ******

“Lord Elrond, may I have a word?” asked Legolas. The Lord of Imladris nodded and indicated for the younger Elf to sit beside him on the stone bench. They were in one of the more secluded gardens of Imladris, Legolas having enquired of Aragorn where he might find the Lore master.

“It is very beautiful here, and the music of the waterfalls is very soothing,” said Legolas suddenly unsure as to how Elrond would react to his leaving so soon. He did not know the elder Elf well but he sensed that Elrond had plans for him, although he had no idea what they may be.

“So it is, but you did not seek me out to speak of the beauty of nature. You wish to take your leave and return to Mirkwood.” It was a statement, not a question and Legolas wondered how his thoughts were so easily read. “I know you better than you think, young Thranduilion, you are very much like your sire,” replied Elrond, with an amused twinkle in his eye as he answered the unvoiced question.

“So it would seem, and I assume you must also know that I need to take word to Adar of the threat we now face,” he explained with a smile and a resigned shake of his head.

“Of course, but I have a request to make of you… several, in fact. I have written a full report for Thranduil for you deliver, and I ask that you use the journey home to scout the mountain pass and the land beyond for any sign of Orc activity or any creatures that may be acting as spies for the dark Lord.”

“You need to find the safest path for the Ring bearer,” surmised Legolas.

“Indeed and to that end I am sending scouting parties in all directions. Aragorn is preparing to leave with my sons as we speak,” Elrond informed the young archer, well aware of the friendship between the two.

“My patrol will make a thorough search, and I will bring word of what we do or do not find,” promised Legolas.

“Good, I would prefer to hear your report in person, if possible,” Elrond told him.

“What other errand would you have me do?”

“It is not an errand, but a decision you need to make. I intend to send representatives of all the Free People on this quest to destroy the Ring, and for the Elves I would send you, if you are willing,” Elrond replied. Legolas was momentarily stunned into silence.

“I do not think I can do as you ask, I am needed in Mirkwood,” protested Legolas.

“I realise such a decision is difficult, for there is no denying the danger and uncertainty of such a task and I do not expect an immediate reply. I think it best you discuss this with Thranduil before you give your final answer,” Elrond suggested.

“But why choose me?” asked Legolas, his thoughts and feelings in turmoil.

“The reasons are many and I have explained them in full in my letter to your Adar. Suffice it to say that you are a skilled archer, an experienced warrior and have fought a never ending battle with the dark creatures of your forest. Although you have learned to keep the darkness at bay, you are one of the few who can sense it easily, and combined with your elven senses, this will be an enormous asset to the group. Aside from that you have such a gentle and compassionate heart that I believe the Hobbits will be at ease in your presence.”

“I am honoured that you have so much faith in my abilities, my lord. I will speak to my adar then I will return to bring you the report of the scouting mission, as well as my answer.”

“Take time to consider your choice Legolas but do not forget the urgency,” Elrond advised him.

“Is Aragorn to be part of the Fellowship?” asked Legolas, suddenly curious.

“Ai, he already has the trust of the Hobbits, and whether he accepts it or not, it is ultimately his responsibility to ensure the safety of his Kingdom,” replied Elrond.

“It is only fitting that Isildur’s heir attempt to undo the damage wrought by his forefather,” agreed the Mirkwood prince.

“Just so. Please come to my study before the evening meal to collect the letter for Thranduil,” said Elrond as he saw Glorfindel standing at a distance, signalling that his presence was required elsewhere.

                                                  *******

Legolas knocked on the thick wooden door, but received no reply so he knocked a little harder, and was startled when he heard a voice from behind bid him enter.

“Am I too early?” Legolas asked Elrond as the elder Elf ushered him inside.

“Nay, there was a slight mishap that needed my attention,” Elrond said, the smile in his eyes inconsistent with the compassionate healer he was known to be. “Someone with blonde hair, and who should have far more sense for one as ancient as he, carelessly left a bucket of water above Erestor’s door, and my dear advisor received a nasty cut on his forehead when it landed on him,” he explained.

“I see,” replied Legolas unable to stifle a laugh at Glorfindel’s latest ‘attack’ on Erestor.

“Here is the letter,” said Elrond as he handed Legolas a large leather pouch.

“Are you sure it is not a book?” the younger Elf asked facetiously as he felt the weight in his hands.

“There was much news to impart, and I did so in great detail,” replied Elrond with mock indignation. “However, speaking of books, I have one here that may interest you.”

Legolas saw that it was of the same size and bound with the same coloured leather as the one his Adar had received from Elrond. The only difference was that a single line of mithril stars formed the border rather than golden leaves. He opened to the title page, and saw that it was written in Thranduil’s’ elegant hand. He traced his Adar’s name and smiled affectionately.

“This is just as beautiful as the one Adar has,” he said as he handed the book back to Elrond. “I had no idea he was working on such a project, and Elladan and Elrohir made no mention of you doing likewise.”

“That is because we preferred to keep it between ourselves until it was complete,” said Elrond. “Have you read any of it yet?”

“I have already heard much of the role of the Greenwood Elves during the war, so I began reading about Elendil,” Legolas replied, the mention of Men reminding him he had a question he wanted to ask of Elrond. “May I ask a personal question, Lord Elrond?”

“By all means, what do you wish to know?” replied the Lore Master, his curiosity piqued by the formality.

“You have allowed many of Aragorn’s forefathers to seek sanctuary here, and I assume you befriended some of them, so how did you deal with the knowledge that they would grow old and die before your eyes?” He hoped the question was not too bold, and was relieved to see the Elf lord nodding knowingly.

“Ai, I have had mortal friends over the years, and although their eventual passing comes as no surprise, the grief ever remains. You are concerned about befriending Aragorn, are you not?” Elrond surmised.

“It is too late to tell me not to,” replied Legolas.

“I know. All I can advise is that you do not allow what you know will come to pass to cast a shadow over what you have now. Do not hide your heart away behind a fear of grief.”

“Thank you for your words, and your honesty, my lord,” Legolas said with a respectful bow.

“We are kindred spirits, Legolas. One day I will lose him too.”

                                                           ******

The separate guest chambers that had been assigned to Legolas and Tathar shared a large terrace from which they could almost reach out and touch one of the smaller waterfalls that cascaded into the valley below, and it was here later that evening that they and the other members of the patrol met to discuss the task they had been set.  All were well aware of the important nature of their mission, but as was their usual habit, there was much merriment and jesting as well as serious conversation. A casual observer would simply have assumed the elven warriors sitting in a circle on the floor with their map spread out in the centre merely were enjoying each other’s company, and the excellent wine their Prince had provided rather than planning the shortest path they could safely take back to Mirkwood, whilst still allowing them to make short scouting trips into suspected danger areas.

Legolas only half listened to the playful banter yet none other than Tathar seemed to notice his preoccupation.

“What is it, mellon nin?’ he asked, placing an affectionate hand on Legolas’s shoulder after the others had bid them goodnight.

“‘Tis nothing,” Legolas replied unconvincingly.

“Has Elrond told you more than you have passed onto us?” asked Tathar. Legolas groaned inwardly at his friend’s astute observation and did not want to lie to him, but he felt it only fair that his Adar be the first to hear of the possibility of his son joining the Fellowship.

“I see I can hide nothing from you, mellon nin yet as much as I wish to, I can not share this problem with you at the moment,” he said apologetically, his heart aching at the hurt in his friend’s eyes.

“We have never kept secrets from each other… ever,” stated Tathar irritably.

“Nor do I wish to start doing so. Once I have discussed the issue with Adar, I promise to tell you all about it,” Legolas vowed, holding his arms out to offer his friend a brotherly embrace, which after a moment’s hesitation Tathar accepted.

                                                        *********

The Mirkwood Elves rode swiftly through the forest, eager to be reunited with their loved ones. They had not encountered any Orcs, wolves or other fell creatures on the journey home, and all had begun to wonder if Mirkwood was already under attack. Legolas tried to reassure them that all was well, for he sensed it to be so, but the fear of the possibility clouded their judgment and it was not until they rode across the bridge that they allowed themselves to breath easy.

Legolas knew that Thranduil would be waiting for him in his chambers, for he had sent word of his return with one of the sentries the travellers had encountered along the Elf Path. Greeting his son with his usual strong embrace and affectionate kiss to the brow, Thranduil immediately sensed the disquiet in Legolas’s thoughts.

“I take it that Mithrandir was not pleased with your news?” he asked, assuming that to be the cause.

“He already knew,” Legolas answered smiling at the surprise that registered on Thranduil’s brow. “I believe this letter from Lord Elrond will explain it all,” he added as he handed the King the thick leather pouch. Legolas watched the changing emotions that danced across his Adar’s face as he carefully read each page of the long missive, and when he saw his countenance darken and his eyes flash with anger, he knew he had reached the part about the Fellowship.

“I will not allow my son to take part in this folly, Elrond!” Thranduil thundered in a voice so loud Legolas almost believed Elrond could hear it in Imladris. “I trust you declined this… this… invitation to travel to your death!” he said with sarcasm dripping off the last words.

“I made no answer, for I wished to discuss the matter with you first,” replied Legolas quietly, deeming it best to ignore his Adar’s initial anger.

“There is nothing to discuss. You are needed here,” said Thranduil in the tone of voice that brooked no challenge, or had not done so until now. Legolas realised he could rightly point out that he faced death every time he went on patrol, but saw no need to remind the King of that which he knew so well. He donned his rarely displayed royal persona and spoke from his heart instead.

“That is my beloved Adar speaking. What does the warrior King, who knows full well that no one is safe until the One Ring is destroyed, say?” he asked, reaching up to gently stroke Thranduil’s cheek. Thranduil was shocked into silence by the sudden appearance of one who had ruled in his stead on several occasions and by the tender wisdom in his son’s words. Legolas could see the inner turmoil in the depths of the eyes that were locked with his, and he remained unmoving and silent as Adar and King fought their wordless battle. Finally Thranduil released a long, sad sigh and gathered Legolas into his arms.

“The King can not deny the wisdom of the Prince’s words, nor the advice of his friend of old who was once the Herald to the High King. I am proud to admit that the Fellowship needs you, and although it breaks my heart to say this, more than does Mirkwood.  Go with the blessing of the King, and the love of your Adar,” said Thranduil as he buried his head into the silky golden tresses resting on his shoulder and wept.

                                                  ********

Tathar listened as Legolas finally told him of the quest, and his reaction was pure anger of a depth that Legolas had rarely seen before, and directed not at Elrond or him, but at Thranduil.

“How can an adar risk his son’s life by sending him into such danger?” he shouted angrily, glaring at Legolas with tear filled eyes. Legolas felt as if he had been stabbed in the heart as realisation suddenly dawned… it was his pain and grief over the loss of Faelas that was fuelling Tathar’s anger.

“I know it is a dangerous road to take, but do you really think my life is at any more risk should I follow that course than it is when I defend Mirkwood?” Legolas asked.

“Perhaps not, although you will be travelling through places where the dangers are unfamiliar and that is a disadvantage,” Tathar said, his disapproval still evident in his tone of voice.

“Aragorn has spent many years in the south, and Mithrandir’s visits there are too numerous to count, as I am informed,” explained Legolas.

“That eases my fears a little. I am sorry if I am reacting badly Legolas, it is just that I can not bear the thought of losing someone I love as a brother… I have lost too many dear ones already,” replied Tathar his shoulders slumping as his melancholy welled in his heart.

“So has Adar,” Legolas sadly reminded his friend as he placed his arm affectionately around his shoulders and softly kissed his hair. “Anyway, I believe I am a becoming offended by your lack of confidence in my skills and my ability to defend myself,” he added lightly in an attempt to ease the tension.

“Well they have never been as good as mine,” declared Tathar, forcing a smile.

“Would you care to meet me in the exercise yard where we can resolve the question in the proper manner?” challenged Legolas.

“It would be my pleasure to have a chance to beat some sense into your beautiful, if not thick head,” replied Tathar laughing heartily as he linked arms with his friend and lead him to his doom.

On their way to the clearing where the warriors trained, they stopped by the kitchens to collect a couple of water skins and watched with amusement as Tariel issued orders as if she was the Captain of the Guard.

“What is all the fuss?” asked Tathar as he helped himself to a freshly baked roll. Tariel’s scowl at the minor theft turned into a warm smile when Tathar kissed her cheek.

“The King has ordered a farewell feast for our brave young warrior prince,” she told them. “He wants you to leave the darkness behind and take with you only the memory of the sounds of laughter and music as your people make merry under the stars. A most sensible plan, if I do say so myself,” she added with a wink.

                                                   *******

Some time the next day, Legolas left Mirkwood to return to Imladris and an unknown future with many pleasant memories to comfort him on his journey.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List