Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Roses of Ilúvatar  by Orophins Dottir

 

Chapter 4 - The Lion of Lórien

Sam, my boy, I don’t think you’re supposed to be hearing this. Only, how am I going to get out of the room without it being worse for the situation than my staying right where I am? You are in a fine mess as usual.

Sam had eaten a proper lunch even by hobbit standards and taken himself off to the library afterwards. It wasn’t that he was much of a reader really. Sam had discovered that the library chairs were deep and comfortable, and that it was quiet there in the afternoons. He had found a shadowed corner behind a screen that was just perfect for a hobbit’s afternoon nap, and there he had been sleeping.

If Sam had not heard Haldir enter the library, he certainly was hearing him now. Sam woke from a pleasant dream to the loudest scream of rage he had ever heard. It almost knocked him to the floor, and his heart was still pounding. He could not believe that powerful a sound could possibly have issued from Haldir’s throat, but there seemed to be no other explanation.

For the scream had been followed by a steady stream of Sindarin, and that was certainly coming out of Haldir’s mouth now. Sam couldn’t follow it clearly, because it was very rapid, and most of the words were new to him. Still, he was sure it was cursing. He had not even known that the courteous elves had a vocabulary for cursing! It appeared that perhaps they did and quite an impressive one at that.

Sam moved slowly and carefully on his screened couch and found that he could now see the others in the room without being seen by them.

Haldir was standing by the window. His hand was on one of his knives, and he was still cursing. But, a coldness was now creeping into his voice that was even more frightening than the scream had been.

Rúmil sat on the couch nearest the desk where Haldir had apparently been working. He had both arms around Orophin and seemed to be rocking him almost as Sam did with Elanor when she was frightened.

Is Orophin afraid of his brother? I can’t believe that. Rúmil doesn’t seem to be. He’s not even flinching. Just sitting there as if waiting for Haldir to regain control.

"Are you finished now, brother?" Rúmil stared up at his oldest brother without any fear in his eyes. "I think Orophin has probably been through enough today listening to such vileness. Now you have turned into a berserk orc right in front of him. Although, it was quite impressive, Haldir. I’d forgotten just how impressive you can be when you are in a towering rage. I’m sure you curse better than any healer that ever lived, in fact almost as well as a captain of the Northern Border."

"This is not funny, Rúmil."

"I know that. My way is to laugh. I shall probably laugh at my own death in battle. Yours is usually to grow too quiet. Orophin is the only sane one among us, as well you know." Rúmil smiled at his younger brother. "Now that you are done sceaming, what would you have us do?"

"We are leaving this place in the morning. We will take Legolas with us."

"Bringing Legolas here from the caves almost killed him, Haldir. Only his own desperation to be away from them made you risk that much. Moving him again would kill him. Are you going to let the words of ignorant mortals kill our friend? Are you going to let them succeed after you have fought so hard to save Legolas’ life? Their words are not worth that great a price."

"When did you grow so wise, little brother? No, we cannot leave." Haldir sat down next to them and wearily rubbed his face. "Perhaps Legolas has more need of a March Captain than even a healer at this moment."

Haldir shook his head and thought again of the secret letter he had received from Radagast. "I fear more than the ignorant words of children. This place is safe for none of us, and we will act accordingly. Is Gimli with Legolas now?"

Rúmil nodded. "He seldom leaves him in the afternoon, and today Legolas has been in much pain. Gimli will not leave him."

Haldir thought silently for a few more moments before speaking.

"Rúmil, I fear to put you in great danger. I wish I could go myself, but I must stay with Legolas. You must ride to Ithilien and bring back enough of our people to protect Legolas. I will no longer trust to the soldiers of Gondor or any mortal save Gimli. I know neither their hearts, nor their minds. We will trust only our own."

"What would you have me say to them?"

"Go to Gilúviel and say that he must come himself with his warriors. Aragorn cannot refuse him entrance to his brother or refuse him the right to post a guard. Imrahil still abides with us and for this I am glad. He will stand guard for us in Ithilien. Imrahil we can still trust and must do so. He must be made aware of everything, Rúmil, but no other mortal."

Haldir’s face grew sad for a moment, but he hardened it with his will. "Do not tell the queen what we do, and say nothing to any other mortal save Gimli, brother. This includes Aragorn if you encounter him before you leave. Avoid him if you can."

Rúmil nodded. Long had he fought under his brother’s command. He trusted the instincts of his brother that had kept him alive even when he did not understand them. He would obey Haldir in all.

"Rúmil, say to Gilúviel to make it clear to our people that the danger is real and very near. Contact with Gondor is to cease as much as we can. None must travel here alone or in too small a group. Ithilien is to be closed to them if Gilúviel agrees."

"He will agree, Haldir. You know he wanted to bring elves to guard his brother from the start. Arwen feared that her King would take offense and dissuaded him. She said Tingalen was with child and needed him more than his brother. She would care for Legolas." Rúmil almost spat out the last words, and his face was hard.

"Aye, but that is the past. Legolas also urged his brother to stay with Tingalen. We must not judge her heart for it is still dark to me. Let it go, brother." Haldir touched the face of Rúmil. His brothers had never had the chance to be young as he had once so long ago. The shadows had come too soon for that.

"Ride now and ride hard. Take Arod for he is still swift, and his wisdom is great. Tell Legolas’ brave horse that you ride for his master’s life. He will carry you safely for me as he carried Legolas through the Paths of the Dead."

Rúmil rose to go and make his preparations.

"Brother, have care that no men approach close enough to harm you on this journey. Be wary ever of men and even their wives and their children. From Ithilien, send word to Celeborn of what is happening. Radagast has also written to him. I will not risk it from here where my letter may too easily go astray. Let Celeborn judge what to do with Thranduil. Now, go!"

Rúmil embraced both of his brothers and swiftly ran from the room.

*****

"Orophin, we are few and they are many. Until Rúmil returns with Gilúviel, you and I with Gimli alone must guard Legolas and each other."

"Gimli will wish to include Aragorn."

"Not after I speak to him. I think no ill of Aragorn until I have proof, but this is his kingdom. He should know better the minds of all his folk, even the lowest. One of them threw that torch in the caves. His own kitchen staff teach their children that we are evil. Orophin, Aragorn has not control of this kingdom. Poisoning minds is but a short step to poisoning bodies."

Haldir began to gather his papers from the desk and Orophin rose to help him.

"I would trust Samwise, but he also is loyal to Aragorn. I have not the right to ask him to view his own friend with suspicion until we know better."

"You would ask Gimli to do so."

"Gimli’s greatest love will always be to Legolas. He will choose him above any of us if he has to do so. The hobbit they speak of who sailed with the Last Riding was that to Sam, not Legolas. It is enough that Mistress Rose will prepare our food for us."

Haldir felt anger rise in him again and willed it back into coldness. "Even were it palatable, I would no longer eat anything that came from that kitchen and its foulness."

He laughed bitterly. "They might decide to serve us a baby, nicely stewed for our pleasure. Isn’t that what we relish best, little brother?" Haldir’s face was as hard and cold as Caradhras, and he hugged his brother to him fiercely. Orophin felt some of that cold ferocity enter his own gentle soul. The war had been leaving his face, but now it returned. Orophin’s face was once again old.

"Legolas will eat nothing prepared by anyone other than ourselves or Mistress Rose. We shall draw his water and bring it to him ourselves. Nothing he eats or drinks must be out of our sight. We shall take the same precaution for ourselves. Gimli must decide for himself. Legolas is so weak that the smallest amount of poison would quickly take him."

"We will keep him safe, Haldir. We love him. Love is still stronger than hate."

Haldir wished he could believe as his brother. "I hope so, little one. If we are fools to be so cautious, it is better to be living fools. It will be a big job for the three of us, Orophin, but we have no right to involve Sam."

Something entered into Sam’s heart at that moment, and he could not resist it. He rose from the couch and came from behind the screen. Then, he took a deep breath and said simply.

"Maybe if you told him what was going on, you wouldn’t have to ask Sam?"





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List