Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Roses of Ilúvatar  by Orophins Dottir

Author’s Note:

Mîr-Gilúviel:  Jewel of Giluv’s Daughter
Haldir:  Tall Watcher
Legolas:  Green Leaf
Thranduilion:  Son of Thranduil
Tingalen:  Maiden of Green
Fuin:  Deep Shadow, Darkness
 ______________

 

Chapter 5 - Ithilien Rides

Rosie sat in the forecourt of the castle with her daughter. Elanor missed Orophin desperately, and Rosie hoped that the new sights that they could see here would distract her from wanting his presence. Elanor did seem interested in the comings and goings of the City before her, but her face was still sad.

You were so good when Haldir asked if you would give Orophin to Legolas for a little while. He explained to you how sick Legolas was and how he needed your blood friend with him always for a time. You were generous, my little one, and I am proud of you. My heart all but burst with joy in you when you took Orophin’s hand and led him over to the prince. Legolas cried when you gave him Orophin, and so did I. That was the last that he spoke to us, for ever since has the prince lain in pain and darkness and known none who love him. Orophin and I have shielded you from him since, my daughter, for we love you. We would not have you see the gentle one who told you stories battle against his death.

And, Legolas, who loves you, also must remain in your mind as a gentle presence and not the dying terror of your dreams. Oh, Elanor, how shall I tell you if he dies? Where will I find the words if this golden light departs, and your Orophin follows it? They are bound so tightly together, my daughter. Where shall you find your comfort if both depart? Will you follow them and be lost to me and your father? Elanor, who best holds your heart?

"Look, Elanor! In the distance there is dust rising and look now you can now see horses approaching. A lot of horses, Elanor! Look how swiftly they run towards the City’s gates!"

She had climbed up with Elanor to a vantage point that Gimli had made for them, so that they could observe the roads beyond the City and all of the forecourt. Gimli had laughed as he built it and told them how men and elves oft forgot the stature of their most honored guests, the dwarves and the hobbits. Here was even a special perch just for Elanor, which Gimli had named the Throne of Elanor, Princess of Ithilien. "Gimli’s Aerie" had Legolas dubbed the retreat when they carried him to inspect it, and the name had stuck even as Legolas had so loved it.

Here had ever Gimli borne Legolas, so that the air might caress his body and that he might feel the warmth of Anar upon his face. Here the two oft sat alone in the twilight or with only Elanor to join them. Here sought Legolas ever the light of Eärendil. Here he found the strength of Gimli and could surrender his own fight and rest in the strong arms of the dwarf.

From this safe haven that friendship built, Rosie watched now with Elanor the approaching horses.

*****

Ithilien’s warriors rode through the poorest sections of the City in their approach to the forecourt of Elessar. They gave no sign that a mortal could read, but their vigilence had increased. No mortal escaped their observation. Their ranks moved closer together behind their prince, and their bows were no longer upon their backs. They held them ready in their hands.

Elves. So many of them. The mortals drew back against the walls in fear and wonder. The mothers hid their children behind their skirts, and the men muttered among themselves.

Yet not even the bravest dared accost the riders. Their eyes saw that these were not the gentle traders and artisans of the hated colony of Ithilien. Those elves they saw no longer in their streets, and they wondered at it.

These elves were different. These were warriors and such as these they had never seen in this part of the City. Ithilien had ever before sought peace with the City of Aragorn. For the first time, these men of Gondor watched the fierce riders of the elves as they passed, and they held their tongues and were afraid of the evil words that had brought these warriors.

Each rider was dressed in elven armor, and such also had the men in this part of the city never seen. It was strange to them and made them think of the magic of the people that could curse them and their children. Upon the backs of the elves they saw quivers of arrows and knives of war, not of hunting. These faces laughed not, and the eyes of the elves were grim. The elves of Ithilien thought now only of Legolas, and there was no mercy in them for aught that was Gondor.

At the head of the great company, rode a tall elf upon a black stallion. His hair was as black as the stallion and upon his head he wore a circlet of beaten gold and mithril entwined as vines and adorned with leaves of gold, bronze and mithril and set with small red stones, like berries that flashed in the sunlight. A long cloak of greyed-green velvet streamed behind him and was held at his neck with a simple leaf-shaped brooch, and his tunic was brown. He looked not at the men of Gondor as he rode past and yet he saw them all, and they were afraid.

*****

Aragorn stood upon the threshhold of his castle. Word had been brought to him at the first sighting of the riding of the elves. He was angry, and yet he knew he could not show it. Before him astride the great black horse was a prince of the Woodland Realm, a son of its king and brother to Legolas. That Legolas lay near death gave this elf rights Aragorn could not forbid. He was the brother of the one for whose life Aragorn was held accountable, and he represented their father. Thranduil, Aragorn knew, could yet command alliances that could lay waste to the still struggling kingdoms of Gondor and Rohan combined. If Thranduil claimed his rights through this prince, Gondor must give him its hospitality and allow him what he willed. The wise serpent Haldir had known this.

"I, Mîr-Gilúviel Thranduilion, give you greeting, Elessar Telcontar." Aragorn heard that the elf deliberately gave the most simple of his titles. The title that bound him to Thranduil as his child with the name that bound his birth mother’s child to her. Never before had Aragorn heard it, but Arwen’s heart ached at the memory of the elven mother it brought. The one who had held her babe once before she surrendered to her grief and left him then to abide alone in Arda.

Gilúviel had dismounted and approached Aragorn. Fuin wore no bridle or saddle and stood with no one holding him. Never did the proud animal take his eyes from his master and ever was he still and watchful. His sharp hooves would be the first to strike the one who touched his prince. The dark elf bowed low to the king of Gondor, who returned his greeting.

"You bring honor to us as your presence graces our home, Gilúviel, Prince of Eryn Lasgalen and Steward of Ithilien. Your journey’s end brings us joy at the sight of you. Too long have we been apart. Your lady fares well?"

"She is well and sends her greetings to you and the Lady Arwen, her friend. She bid me say to you that her prayers are for the lifting of the shadow yet again. Also she bade me to deliver this letter into Queen Arwen’s hands alone."

The prince’s eyes sought for the queen, and Arwen came forward to greet him. He ached in his heart for the pain in her eyes, but Gilúviel did not weaken in his resolve.

"Tingalen sends thanks to you, lady, for your kindness in sending gifts for our unborn child. You have honored us and the coming child."

"She is well? There is no trouble that comes upon her in these last months?"

For one brief moment, Gilúviel’s face softened as he thought of his lady and their child that she carried. Arwen saw again the gentle face of the dark elf she had so long known.

Then, Arwen saw that loved face harden again, and her heart ached. Gilúviel was ever gentle, yet her guilty eyes thought she saw him turn his face from her, and she saw not his pity or his sorrow. She was alone now among men she thought. She took the letter he handed her and returned his bow as Elrond had taught her. In other times, they would have embraced.

"She is well still, lady, and her joy at the child is great. I thank you for your concern." Gilúviel’s aching heart turned from Arwen and her sorrow. He must care for his brother.

"Where is Haldir? I would see him, King Elessar."

Before Aragorn could reply, the Captain of the Galadhrim appeared from the shadows of the doorway and made his way to the prince. His grey eyes sought for a moment the eyes of his own brother still mounted upon Arod and standing beside Fuin. His heart let go of its fear as he beheld Rúmil’s quick smile and nod to him. Still Haldir saw that, as ever, Rúmil did behold Arwen alone and with anger cutting his heart, and for that the healer knew there was no cure apart from themselves.

"Gilúviel, thy coming I have too long awaited. Be welcome, my friend." The two embraced and for a moment were silent in each other’s arms.

"Legolas?"

"He lies in a drugged sleep against his pain, but he still lives. Now you are here, I have more hope. Ever were you half of his strength, Gilúviel." Haldir kissed the forehead of the prince as he did oft with his own brothers. "He bade me give that to you for him when you arrived, Gilúviel, if he could not."

Son of Thranduil, ever trained in guarding his actions, Gilúviel pulled back from Haldir, and turned to Aragorn. His face betrayed none of the turmoil within him.

"King Elessar, I would be taken to my brother. Elves shall I bring to guard him as bids his father and my liege. This you will permit?"

Aragorn had no choice. It mattered not whether Thranduil really knew or not. If Gilúviel his son but said he did, then must Aragorn treat it as the king’s own will.

"The men of Gondor would willingly die for your prince."

"One of Gondor has brought him to this pass. Thranduil would have elves."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List