Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Roses of Ilúvatar  by Orophins Dottir

Chapter 12 - Sulka

"Get me something to eat, Sulka. I am starving, and you are sitting there like some lady of quality. You are home now, not with those accursed nobles and elves. I am your husband and demand my rights. Where is that boy and his sister?"

Sulka moved quickly to stir the fire under the stew she had been cooking. She did not wish Adros to dwell on the absence of his children.

"Queen Arwen said she required that they be there for the early morning. Some nonsense that she had planned for her own spoiled child that required their attendance. I did not wish to antagonize her and risk the wealth that our service brings to you, Adros. It is good that you have managed to secure lucrative employment for all of us. Have you thought more of that position that the steward’s man has offered you?"

Sulka knew that Adros had wished more than anything to leave the area of Aglarond where they had lived. She had needed to choose her words carefully to tempt him without raising his suspicions, but she had been successful. And, the steward’s man had been carefully chosen by Faramir and Aragorn. He was known to none as one of the most loyal subjects of the king. Instead, he had skillfully cultivated the reputation of a traitor, one who thought the new king a usurper of the steward’s rightful place. It served his king well when information was needed.

Adros had made many enemies in Aglarond and would be glad to avoid them. Sulka had known this and told Prince Legolas. Besides, she had also told him, Minas Tirith was a siren that called Adros. The prince had thanked her and taken her information to his father and King Elessar.

Careful tendrils of plans had crept towards Adros, and he never saw them. Dalthor had been released finally and met Adros one night at the tavern. Full of bitterness at losing his commission and new hatred of the elves, Adros had been able to foster acquaintance with Dalthor by the purchase of only a few ales and his sympathetic ear.

Adros now saw himself achieving a station here that would never be his in Aglarond. He blessed the day that Gurth and that elf had been injured. That fool son of his had finally done something right that day, and that he almost died was nothing to Adros. Gurth’s injuries had opened a path for his father, and Adros was determined to seize his one opportunity.

Too bad that foul elf survived his injuries. Like to see that one dead. Disgusting that week of thanksgiving and festival that the damn fool king has declared for next month. The king and queen of Rohan and Imrahil of Dol Amroth were bringing delegations! You would expect it from Imrahil. We all know the rumors about him. And, that fool of a steward Faramir and that elf colony he allows in Ithilien, but Gondor and Rohan? Thanksgiving that an elf did not die?  Better mourning.

Adros looked at Sulka and contemplated again her increased worth to him. That fool boy’s injuries had gotten her into the palace. She served Queen Arwen herself. "You speak with the queen in your work, Sulka?"

"I care for her son among other things. She cares much for Prince Eldarion and concerns herself with all that touches him. We speak. She is a great lady, but a mother as well."

"The child is a halfbreed. She thinks he will rule Gondor someday?" Adros laughed harshly as he took the ale his wife brought him and drained most of the glass. "No matter. The future will care for itself. It is the present that concerns me. You hear things, Sulka, in the palace? There is gossip among the servants?"

"There is always gossip, Adros. I ignore it." She knew his mind better than he did. This would draw him. This would make him ripe for their plans.

"No longer, Sulka. You will listen to gossip and tales, and you will bring them to me. I know you said that you did not wish to live at night in the palace, but you will do this. I need you there more than to warm my bed. There are plenty of whores for that. In my new position, I will be able to meet you, and you will tell me what you hear. Understand? If you do not, I will bring Gurth home and put him to work as he should be by now." She made appropriate protest to his words, just enough to keep him from suspicion. Adros grunted and ate the stew that she placed before him. King Elessar would now be able to feed Adros more than stew.

Sulka smiled within herself and watched him and wondered yet again how this could be the father of her beautiful daughter and Gurth. Adros had once been the son of a minor noble. He never let his wife forget this. The father had disowned his son for reasons Sulka had never been able to determine. Adros did not wish to talk about that. For no reason that she knew, she suddenly remembered Haldir and how he ate when they were together, as if listening to what she said was more important than the food.

"If you wish this, husband, I cannot refuse. I thought only of your comfort at being here. Queen Arwen will be pleased for she has many duties in the evening, and Prince Eldarion is often alone. I shall tell her of your generosity."

Adros grunted again. She still has a brain or two, this one. It will not hurt to have the queen consider me as generous with my wife’s time. Well, may as well make use of her this night in bed. Whores are expensive. Adros wiped his mouth on his sleeve and started to reach for his wife. As he did so, a loud knocking began on the door.

"Open, for the queen’s messenger!" With a curse, Adros went to the door and opened it. Sulka hid her smile as she saw Arngrein and Ohtar standing together with impassive faces.

Arngrein’s eyes smiled at her as he began to speak, "The queen has urgent need of you at the palace, Mistress Sulka. Prince Eldarion is ill, and she must attend to visiting dignitaries herself. She would not leave him alone and bid us bring you at once. She tenders her apologies, but the need is great."

"Of course, I shall come at once if the queen needs me. Husband, pray excuse me while I get my cloak."

Ohtar neither spoke nor made any sign of noticing Sulka as she gathered her things. Instead, he came and stood before Adros and watched him closely as a cat might watch a mouse destined to be its next meal. Sulka smiled again within her as she saw her husband grow fearful under the elf’s silent watching. She had never before realized just how large and frightening Ohtar could seem if he wished to do so.

  *****

Sulka took the package with almost a feeling of fear. She had never had a present before in her life. It was too beautiful to be for her. She looked at the flat box wrapped in silk of the softest blue she had ever seen and tied with velvet ribbons of a grey color that almost matched Haldir’s eyes. She blushed at that thought and pushed it hastily away. Her finger touched the small yellow blossoms tucked beneath the bow. Elanor. She could smell their sweet fragrance and remembered how she had seen Haldir helping Sam, Legolas and his own brothers plant massed beds of it in the gardens. Rosie had told her that it grew in Haldir’s home in Lórien and was very special to the elves there. Her Sam, she had said, had never forgotten seeing it grow there, and they had named their child after the flower.

"Why would you give me a present?" She looked up at Haldir and was surprised to see an almost anxious look on his face.

"Arwen said that this day is your birthday. She says it is a custom of humans to mark this date rather than the begetting day we celebrate. Is this not true? I meant no offense, Sulka. I know little of humans."

Again, she thought she heard an anxious note in his voice. That was not like Haldir. "On this, I know almost as little as you, Haldir. I know it is done, but never for me. I have never had a present before."

"If I had known that, I would have chosen something better. This is not fair enough to be a first present." He found his throat had tightened at the idea of his being her first gift. Or, perhaps it was the way her dark hair looked in the sunlight. Haldir had thought this would be easier than it was proving. She had a way of looking at him that made his thoughts become unsettled. He told himself again that it was just a present from one friend to another, nothing significant. Still, it was her first.

"Did you wrap this yourself?"

"Yes, I am not so good at it as Orophin, but I. . ." He could not admit to her that he did not want his brother to be aware that he was giving a human a present and to ask for his help as he usually did with wrapping. That would be something Orophin would not understand. Haldir had found the silk and ribbons and wrapped the present himself. He had found it more difficult than fighting an orc and, listening to him, Eldarion had learned several words in Sindarin that he should not really know. The elanor Haldir had added as he entered Arwen’s garden this morning to look for Sulka.

"It is too beautiful to unwrap. May I keep it so?"

He shook his head and the silver hair moved forward from his back. "A present must be opened. I think it is a law somewhere."

She laughed. It was the first time Haldir had ever heard her laugh, and he found he liked the sound of it, deep and throaty and warm. "Well, I would not like to be a lawbreaker, but I am keeping the wrappings forever. It is my first present, after all!"

Gently, her fingers extracted the flowers and, on an impulse, she wove them into her braid. Haldir found his throat tightened again at the sight of the yellow elanor against the dark braided coronet that topped her head. He fixed his concentration on her fingers as they delicately untied the bow and folded the ribbon. Then, she took the silk from his present and looked down at the three slender books in her hands. Her face burned red at the sight, and she wanted to run away, but she felt him watching her and looked up instead.

Grey eyes as serious as any she had seen looked at her and risked all. Haldir spoke softly, "They are books of children’s stories. I thought perhaps you would like to learn to read them. I could teach you. No one else need know."

Her eyes were filled with tears as she looked at him, and he was sure he had offended her deeply. "I am sorry, Sulka. I truly meant no offense." His voice was heavy and lifeless. He had been wrong to do this. He knew too little about humans. It was clumsy.

"I am not offended, Haldir." She looked up at him, and there was something like awe in her face. "You offer me knowledge and say it is not good enough for my first present? Haldir, all my life I have longed to know what was in the books and the parchments and even the signs that I saw. You would teach me? What language?"

He laughed at the eagerness of her voice. "Common to start with. It will be most useful to you. Then, Sindarin if you wish. That is my language. It is very beautiful and there are many poets who write in it. I think you would like their words. My brother Rúmil is named after one of my favorites. Naneth let me choose his name, and I fear he has never forgiven me for it."

She laughed again. "Naneth means?"

"Mother in your tongue. Adar and Naneth. Father and Mother. I am Muindor or Gwanur. Brother."

" Two words for brother?"

"One means simply "brother" and the other "brother of my heart".

"Brother of their hearts. That is you with those young ones of yours. It is a beautiful language. When I know my own, I would gladly learn it. Haldir, I would not appear ignorant before my son."

"Nay, you shall study privately, and I will tell no one if you do not wish it, not even my brothers. I waken early, and I think this is true of you." He suddenly realized that he should not know that she wakened early. "I see you sometimes from our window as you walk in Arwen’s garden. The earliest morning is a quiet time that I like."

"I also find my own time then. Shall we meet in the garden tomorrow at daybreak? I could bring my wonderful books, and no one could see or hear how little I know. For a time at least, I would wish that, Haldir. I am an old married woman, and some would think it beyond me to learn to read. Perhaps it is. Perhaps I will fail miserably, and you will grow impatient and regret your offer?"

"I will regret only that you have been so long denied words in your life. I will give them to you, Sulka. They wait for you. They will take you beyond any ugly place where you are imprisoned and put you in Valinor. Words have power mightier than any sword or arrow. They can slay evil and bring tyrants low, and they can heal and bind hearts together. You shall have words. I will be in the garden tomorrow at daybreak. Now, I must go to my duties. "

He bent his tall body suddenly and kissed her. Chastely. A kiss on the forehead. The kiss of a friend. She did not know that within him a deep hunger grew and was fought into submission once more. Haldir did not like humans he told himself yet again as he walked swiftly towards the barrack.

*****

"It is cold in that bed with no brothers to warm it." Orophin came and stood behind his brother at the window. "What are you watching so early, Rúmil?"

"Haldir." Rúmil nodded towards the garden below. Leaning against him, Orophin saw his oldest brother sitting with the mother of Gurth as he thought of Sulka. She was holding a book, and Haldir was laughing as he pointed at a page. The brothers could hear the laugh echo in the still morning air. Orophin dimly remembered hearing joyous laughter like that when he was a very small child, and he had toddled after his brother while he walked through the gardens of Lórien with Nimloth. The laughter had died so many years ago. It had died with Nimloth.

Orophin rested his hands on Rúmil’s shoulders and watched the one they both loved so much below them.

"That is Gurth’s mother with him."

"Very good, Spider! You are an observent elf after all." Orophin punched his brother’s arm and pushed him over to make room for himself at the window. The two brothers watched the third in silence for a few moments.

"This is where he goes in the mornings, Rúmil?"

"All this week. He is teaching her to read. We are not supposed to know about this, Orophin. Remember that."

"What is wrong with teaching someone to read? Why should he want to hide it from us? It is praiseworthy."

"Orophin, some days I wonder if you are truly my brother. Look at his face!"

"He seems happy. That is good."

"Yes, and I plan that he is going to stay that way as long as possible. Knowing that we knew would make him very unhappy. I expect you to hold your tongue, little brother."

"You are up to something, Rúmil. I know you."

"You do. I am up to something. Do I have your promise of silence?" Orophin looked at his brother’s crooked grin and nodded. It was no good arguing with Rúmil once his mind was set on its course.

Orophin looked down at Haldir and hoped for the best. Rúmil’s plans were always good if they did not first almost get the two of them killed by Haldir.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List