Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Brandybuck Turns Baggins  by Iorhael

Chapter 15 – Halting Disclosure

“Merry!”

Vaguely the lad heard his name called. Yet, instead of answering the summons, Merry buried himself deeper beneath thick blankets piled up at the back of a wagon that waited in front of the gate of Brandy Hall.

“Merry! Now where is that naughty child again? He hasn’t finished his breakfast.”

It was Esmeralda, grumbling. Merry could imagine his mother tramping back and forth from the dining room to the living room and back to the dining room again to go check his bedroom. And probably to the library, too. Merry hated the idea of making his mother worry but he did not intend to return inside the house, either. It would cost him greater effort to return to this wagon again afterwards.

Merry had been taking a bite of his first toast for breakfast a couple of moments ago when he heard his father talking to some of their relatives. Apparently those hobbits were leaving shortly to trace where Frodo and the ranger were heading. Merry had frozen and looking down at his plate, he realized he had no time to finish the food on it.

Absently the young hobbit rose from his chair so as not to arouse suspicion from the other hobbits at the dining table, especially from Esmeralda, his mother. Mumbling something that sounded like asking permission to go to the privy, Merry slipped smoothly out of the room.

He met no one on his way out and found a wagon outside the fence. Praying it was the very one his relatives were going to ride on for their journey to search for Frodo, Merry tiptoed to the back of it, flipped up the coverlet and slid in. He was grateful to see some blankets there that would make a great hiding place for him.

Merry heard his mother call him again but even if he wanted to change his mind, it would be too late now. He heard people talking and steps coming to the wagon and a moment later it stirred and jumped forward. Shaking, Merry held the blanket tightly. The young lad could only wish he had not made another mistake and that he would find Frodo this time.

* * *

“Who are you!”

Now Finbar stood erect, his tall figure looming protectively over Frodo behind his back. The hobbit was awakened by his thundering voice and rubbing the sleep from his eyes, Frodo for the first time saw Finbar’s long, glimmering, elegantly carved sword, unsheathed and thrust high in the air. Frodo had always regarded the man as trustworthy and reliable but seeing this, a new respect grew in his heart. Frodo had yet to see the intruder, but he was certain the ranger would be able to manage him.

Frodo sat up, still clutching his cover tightly up to his neck and staring at the back of Finbar’s neck and head. The hobbit saw that the man was determined to not simply send the stranger away. He wanted to know his identity and intentions first.

“Very well!” Shouted Finbar. “You can keep your mouth shut but I demand that you come forth. Release all your weapons and raise your hands!”

The sternness in Finbar’s voice made Frodo shiver involuntarily and made him realize that great danger might lurk in the bushes. Frodo rose and slowly crept toward Finbar’s direction to hide behind the man. The hobbit grabbed the back of the ranger’s cloak without realizing it and held on to it tightly.

Soft rustles came from behind the shrubs and Frodo saw a tall figure – easily as tall as Finbar – coming out of the shadow with arms raised high as he was told. Frodo could see his grayish attire and robe in the dim light of the early morning and since their distance was not too great, could almost feel certain who he was squinting at.

“Gandalf?” Frodo whispered in disbelief. He did not dare to dash forward, however, because he was afraid he would startle Finbar. Frodo stayed in his place but he no longer clutched at Finbar’s cape.

Gandalf approached them, cautiously but calmly.

“I mean you no harm,” he said when he was just several feet away. He let his sword hang passively in its scabbard, never intending to take it or use it. Finbar grew calmer watching this and he slowly let his hoisted arm drop. His eyes never wavered a bit, though.

“Then why are you here?” He queried.

Gandalf hesitated. But when he glanced down a bit to the left of Finbar, his eyes flickered with mirth.

“Frodo?” His voice echoed throughout the clearing, relief flooding through him. Frodo was alive and he looked all right! Well, he might be a bit pale but he seemed fine. Bilbo would be very happy to hear about his cousin.

Hearing the mention of Frodo’s name, Finbar set his guard one notch lower. If the stranger knew Frodo, chances were the hobbit was familiar with the old man, too. And had his ears not deceived him when he thought he heard Frodo mutter something – the stranger’s name?

Finbar shoved Frodo back behind him with his left hand. He could not risk it yet. The hobbit was under his keeping and his well being was his responsibility until the ranger made sure everything was safe to let the hobbit go.

Frodo complied but a frown appeared across his brow. The man’s protectiveness over him started to annoy him. Did he not see that Gandalf knew him? Frodo was about to protest and push against the man’s meaty hand that was curled around his cloak-covered frail arm when a small voice screamed in his head.

“Don’t! What are you thinking? Are you going to let the wizard find out about your wretched life and foolish attitude, too?”

That thought struck Frodo numb. Gandalf had known Frodo’s loneliness after the passing of his parents but the wizard had never realized so far the hobbit’s deepest feelings. And Frodo was sure Gandalf had no idea what happened with Frodo in the past few days.

But Frodo never wanted the wizard to find out. No. Not at all.

And that was not the only thing that concerned Frodo. Gandalf needed not know about how he left Brandy Hall without notice. That would be the most embarrassing for the hobbit if he ever found out. For the first time Frodo felt a pang in his heart as he was reminded by his own conscience about how irresponsible he had been. Running away. That seemed so childish, so cowardly, and self-absorbed right now.

Then Frodo noted in dismay that he had been too open to Finbar, that he had told the man almost everything about his life. Not again would he do such things. Not again would he let someone else peep into his heart and capture his weakness. His predicament. His misery. His feelings. Let them be his and his alone.

So Frodo reached out to Finbar and tugged at the man’s long fingers to attract his attention. Finbar turned around, his left eyebrow arching upward.

“Yes, Frodo? Do you know this man?”

The hobbit looked up with a smile on his lips, nodding a little.

“Can I go to him? Please?”

Finbar’s face was clouded by doubt.

“Wait a moment, Frodo. Your knowing him doesn’t mean that he’s…”

“Oh, Finbar. This is Gandalf the Grey Wizard. He has long been a friend of my uncle Bilbo.”

Gandalf the Wiz –

Something came across Finbar’s mind and he suddenly remembered. This must be the one a fellow ranger had been talking about. The Grey Wizard. Mith – mithrandir? Was that how Strider called him? Finbar blushed and putting back his sword into its place, he was stumbling in his effort to apologize.

“I – I am sorry for … I didn’t realize that …” Finbar bowed his head while searching for words in desperation. Frodo ran to Gandalf and circled the stooping wizard with his diminutive arms.

“I’m so glad to see you, Gandalf!”

The wizard failed to recognize Finbar’s gesture now that his attention was completely focused upon Frodo.

“Frodo! How are you feeling, my lad?” He asked warily.

Frodo opened his mouth, ready to pour out everything when he suddenly remembered his promise to himself. He pulled back, stretching his lips instead into a smile and turned around, waving toward Finbar.

“I’m just fine! I was just strolling by myself when I met this – this gentle man. He offered me dinner and since I was so hungry, I accepted his offer with all my heart!”

Gandalf creased his brow and he looked up toward Finbar.

“Strolling? But my dear Frodo, this place is a bit too far from Brandy Hall. What were you doing walking around by yourself so far from your house?”

Frodo bit his lips to stop himself from saying ‘Brandy Hall is not my house’ and said, “I just felt like it.”

Knowing what had really happened, both men stared at Frodo in confusion. Frodo had just lied to them. Why? The hobbit did not know Gandalf had met Bilbo prior to seeing him and had gotten to know the real facts. Therefore Frodo might think it was fine not to tell him the truth. But what about Finbar? Would Frodo think the man could agree with him and even play along?

Frodo stiffened as he felt his back warm with Finbar’s boring gaze upon him. Pressing his lips together, he forced himself not to waver.

Gandalf recognized the sign of stubbornness of a Baggins. He slowly rose and wrapping his arm around Frodo’s shoulders, started toward Finbar. Gandalf lifted his eyebrows in a silent question and after several moments the ranger nodded, answering the in similar fashion. Yes, he did know the real story. And yes, he agreed to play along whatever games Frodo was playing. Pushing the hobbit right now was not going to get him anywhere, and while Gandalf could get the real story from Finbar anyway, the wizard still needed Frodo to tell him himself what had bothered him so.

TBC





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List