Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Brandybuck Turns Baggins  by Iorhael

From last chapter:

Frodo bit his lips to stop himself from saying ‘Brandy Hall is not my house’ and said, “I just felt like it.”

Knowing what had really happened, both men stared at Frodo in confusion. Frodo had just lied to them. Why? The hobbit did not know Gandalf had met Bilbo prior to seeing him and had gotten to know the real facts. Therefore Frodo might think it was fine not to tell him the truth. But what about Finbar? Would Frodo think the man could agree with him and even play along?

Frodo stiffened as he felt his back warm with Finbar’s boring gaze upon him. Pressing his lips together, he forced himself not to waver.

Gandalf recognized the sign of stubbornness of a Baggins. He slowly rose and wrapping his arm around Frodo’s shoulders, started toward Finbar. Gandalf lifted his eyebrows in a silent question and after several moments the ranger nodded, answering the in similar fashion. Yes, he did know the real story. And yes, he agreed to play along whatever games Frodo was playing. Pushing the hobbit right now was not going to get him anywhere, and while Gandalf could get the real story from Finbar anyway, the wizard still needed Frodo to tell him himself what had bothered him so.

Chapter 16 – Almost There

Puffs of clouds drifted slowly across the sky, adorning it softly and breaking up the uniform expanse of blue. The breeze was more than mild but less than truly strong, lulling the party of travelers into an after – luncheon slumber. Finbar forced himself awake, rising immediately upright. He had much to accomplish yet before the darkness came. The man turned toward the wizard and the hobbit, who were both leaning back against a tree, they eyelids drooping heavily.

“Gandalf? Frodo?” Called Finbar softly. “I must depart now.”

“Oh.” Gandalf was absently patting the ground around him, seeking his staff. He found it still locked in the grip of his other hand, and composed himself as best he could, embarrassed by his somnolence.

“You’re going now?” He echoed Finbar’s words, slightly taken aback by the ranger’s rush. They had discussed this earlier but Finbar did not tell Gandalf when exactly he would leave.

Frodo was more obvious in his response.

The tween hobbit leapt up in shock, looking as if he had just been slapped awake. He did not run to the man or hug him as he had intended to do. He had promised himself that he would keep his feelings to himself and he meant to do so.

In the end Frodo merely stood and stared at Finbar in disbelief. He jammed his hands deep into his pockets to hide the fact that they were suddenly shaking.

“Why must you leave now, Finbar?” His voice now trembled too, betraying his sudden dismay.

For a brief moment the man nearly gave up the notion of leaving as he saw the crushing dejection in Frodo’s eyes and heard the sorrow in his voice. He forced a smile to stave off his uneasiness and to ensure himself that this was the best course of action.

“Frodo.” Finbar saw that Frodo would not approach him so he decided the first move must be his. “You know Gandalf, do you not? And as you said, he is a close friend of your family so I think he’s just the right person to accompany you. You never expected me to be always by your side, did you? After all, I’m only a ranger.”

Frodo bit his lower lip, trying hard not to break down. Finbar had been too dear to him. He was his close friend. Frodo did not even realize that Finbar’s words had revealed too much about the hobbit’s assertion to Gandalf that he had been ‘just strolling by himself.’

“You take care of yourself, little one.” Finbar patted Frodo’s back gently. “You will make it through. I know you’re strong enough to face any obstacle in your path.” Frodo hugged him now, tightly, his sobs muffled against Finbar’s clothes.

“I will miss you, Finbar,” Frodo choked. “Can’t I just go with you?” Frodo had never felt this close to someone since he lost his parents, with the single exception of Bilbo. But why bother now knowing that the older hobbit did not want him?

Finbar found it a bit difficult for him to disentangle himself from Frodo’s grasp. He looked up and wordlessly pleaded for help from Gandalf. The old wizard nodded a little and he went up to Frodo, taking the hobbit gently by the shoulders. Finbar pulled away and looked down to Frodo.

“Frodo, I promise I’ll still be around the Shire. I’m sure our paths will cross someday.” He took in the last sight of Frodo, grabbed his knapsack from the ground, and started to walk in the opposite direction. With his back to Frodo, Finbar was glad he was spared the longing look in the hobbit’s eyes.

Gently, Gandalf coaxed Frodo to face him and studying the face of his young charge carefully, the wizard put forth the question Frodo most dreaded.

“Tell me now, Frodo, why did you feel you had to lie to me?”

* * *

Finbar could sense Frodo’s gaze boring into his back, but he willed himself to continue on his way. He straightened his shoulders and back and lifted up his chin and looked straight ahead. Finbar did not want to look as if he regretted what he had decided to do. Whether he regretted it or not, it was the right thing to do.

Gandalf and he had talked and with that Finbar was assured that Frodo would be just fine, that he would not be abandoned. That he would be loved.

Finbar realized all of these things, and so had understood that the sooner he left Frodo, the better. Frodo would meet his relatives again soon and it would be better if he did not get too attached to a stranger, let alone one of the big folk like him.

And what of Finbar himself? Was he not also in danger of becoming too attached to Frodo?

Finbar strode on, his eyes fixed on the path ahead. He found that he was holding his breath, willing himself not to break his stride and return to the side of his new friend. He continued on his way, and nearly tripped over a smallish rock protruding from the path.

The man staggered but he managed to brace himself, looking down to inspect what had almost caused him to fall. And he cursed silently.

Sheepishly, Finbar turned around and found Gandalf waving to him and Frodo rubbing his tears away, but with a slight smile on his face. Finbar smiled, too, and turned back to continue his journey. But now he felt lighter knowing that Frodo truly would be all right, just as Gandalf had promised.

“His uncle is serious about adopting Frodo. He loves the boy and he has come to the conclusion that that is the least thing he can do for him and in a way, for Frodo’s parents.”

That statement had concluded his conversation with the wizard this morning, one they quietly held out of Frodo’s earshot. One that Finbar had started, for he could no longer contain himself.

He had nudged Gandalf while his eyes were still fixed on Frodo who rode on the pony ahead of them.

“Frodo has lied to you, Mithrandir. He was not strolling when he met me. The truth is, he was not even conscious.”

“I know.” Gandalf’s voice caught then, and he looked sharply at the man. “That is to say, I was aware that he was not telling the truth, but I confess I did not know he was in such a condition.” He was raising his voice before realizing it and lowered it back down. “What happened?”

Instead of answering, Finbar was gaping back at Gandalf. “You knew his tale was false?” He gasped as Gandalf steadied him with a hand on his shoulder. “Oh, but of course! You are a wizard.” Gandalf smiled slightly. His arching brows wordlessly repeated his previous questions and Finbar was gently reminded.

“Oh, Gandalf. I saw him. I saw Frodo stumbling in the rain. I was almost sure he was crying at that time. That and the rain and the dimming daylight made him unaware of his surroundings. He tripped over a fallen branch or a root of a tree, I suppose, and twisted his ankle. The pain must have been unbearable for him and he lost consciousness.”

Gandalf saw Frodo turn toward them and favor them with a childlike smile. The wizard had mixed feelings toward the hobbit. He had always cared for Frodo yet the lad’s reckless behavior of late was sorely frustrating to him. But now that Gandalf heard Finbar’s story and realized what Frodo had gone through, he felt his heart soften. It would surely break Bilbo’s to hear this.

Gandalf squeezed Finbar’s arm.

“Frodo was fortunate to have met you,” he said gratefully. “He could have experienced worse things, such as meeting others with bad intentions. Or he could have stayed out all night, wet all over. He could have died!”

“Frodo’s condition was truly as you say,” admitted Finbar. “I wonder why I had to wait until he passed out before I decided to take him with me. I – I’m sorry, Gandalf. Frodo was not awake for several days. He had a temperature and his twisted ankle was badly swollen. Then the pitiful creature still had to endure a shock from waking up and seeing it was not a hobbit hole where he lay but a man’s cabin!” Finbar watched Gandalf in despair, as the wizard patted him understandingly on the back.

“Poor Frodo,” nodded Gandalf. “But at least now you know the hobbit is going home at last.”

“Home?” Finbar shrugged. “Frodo has no home. At least, that was what he told me. He’s very confused right now, Gandalf. He has nowhere to go.”

“Well, that’s not true,” Gandalf shook his head calmly. “He can go back to Brandy Hall in Buckland where he’s been staying or he can come with Bilbo Baggins to Bag End in Hobbiton. That uncle of his has decided to adopt him.”

This time it was Finbar’s turn to shake his head, smiling sadly.

“That’s what I’m trying to say, Gandalf. I know all the things you said to me. Frodo himself told me after he could finally overcome his shock and fear toward me. After … he showed me that letter. The letter this Bilbo sent him. The letter telling him that he withdrew his offer to adopt the lad. Can you imagine that? Frodo told me it was the second letter he received from his uncle. The first one was such exhilarating news about his adoption but the second was Bilbo’s denial of that intention. What can be more cruel than that?”

The ranger was expecting Gandalf’s surprised exclamation but what he got was again another smile.

“Gandalf?” Curiosity and annoyance showed in the man’s voice.

“It was a false letter, my friend,” informed the wizard.

False? Finbar’s jaw slacked. All of this – just because of a false letter? Frodo was forced to run away from his house – well, his relatives’ house – for he had despaired and been embarrassed … because someone tricked him? His injuries. His illness. His anguish. Those were all because of this? Now that was cruel.

“Who – who did this to him?” Gasped Finbar. But Gandalf would not tell.

“Forgive me, but I want Frodo to be the first to know. The poor lad has suffered enough already. I just want him to be really prepared when I present this information.”

Finbar sighed dejectedly.

“I believe you’re right, Gandalf. After all, you are a wizard. You must know what’s best for him just like how you know what has really happened.”

Gandalf could not help but chuckle a little.

“Well, I must confess my knowledge of the situation is not due entirely to my being a wizard. I met Bilbo before I found you two and he told me everything. The poor hobbit is quite distraught and desperate to find Frodo. He asked me to help him. I myself was quite relieved to meet the two of you here.”

The conversation ended with Finbar’s deciding to leave Gandalf and Frodo there to see to their own business. Gandalf thought it was a good idea, too. But the fact that Finbar did not say when he would depart surprised the wizard nevertheless.

* * *

Merry got absolutely nowhere.

The little lad with chubby cheeks, dimpled chin and wide green eyes discovered the truth as the wagon halted with a lurch. Heart pounding, he curled himself up tighter beneath the concealing blanket, wondering what had caused the wagon to stop. Suddenly the thick fabric covering the wagon flapped open and a hand reached in to rip the blanket away.

“He’s here!” Shouted the hobbit as he met Merry’s fearful eyes. “Saradoc was wondering about his disappearance and I thought he was here. I was right!” The hobbit was still talking loudly to his friend but his eyes never left Merry. “We’ll return now, lad. This is not something a wee lad like you should be meddling in.” He reached for Merry and picked him up by the waist.

Merry hated very much to be called such things as ‘wee lad’ or ‘baby’. He wanted to scream and beg to be allowed to come along, but he realized that such behavior would only make him seem as immature as his elders evidently believed him to be. He gasped as he was pulled out of the wagon, but no words escaped him. He could only blink back his tears, feeling both hopeless and irritated, as the elder hobbits settled him between them in the seat behind the team of ponies.

TBC

AN: With love for MBradford for always being there to help.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List