Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Trust a Brandybuck and a Took!  by Grey Wonderer

This story came about because of a story that I wrote about Pipin's sisters which is called "Sisters" and is posted here on Arda. The story mentions an incident involving Pippin's sister Pearl and a bucket. It isn't clear just what happened by the mention in that story and so this is the missing part. 
This story is mentioned in the chapter called "Pearl". You don't have to read that one to read this one. This story is complete on its own like the others listed here.

In this one Pearl is 24, Pimpernel is 21, Merry is 18, Pervinca is 15 and Pippin is 10.

Thanks for reading!

G.W.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BUCKET!

“I can so do it, Vince!” Pippin yelled at his older sister. “Merry showed me and I can so do it!”

“No, you can't. You’re arms are too scrawny,” Pervinca said, smiling over at her younger brother.

Merry sighed. These two fought over everything. Pervinca was five years older than Pippin and the two of them seldom got along. Merry had no brothers or sisters and sometimes, after spending a day listening to Pervinca and Pippin do battle, he was very glad he was an only child. “He can do it, sometimes, Pervinca," Merry said, trying to defuse this battle before it became a war.

“See,” Pippin said, smiling. “Merry says I can.” The youngster stretched to his full height which wasn’t very impressive at this point.

Pervinca, who was several inches taller, smiled back down at him. “Prove it, then.”

Pippin frowned for a minute, bit his lower lip and then walked over to the center of the barn. “Fine! I’ll do it and you’ll see,” Pippin said. He glanced over at Merry for reassurance and cracked his knuckles.

“Just keep your elbows stiff and concentrate on holding your legs straight,” Merry said. At eighteen, Merry always tried to encourage Pippin in his efforts. The younger lad relied on him a great deal and Merry had become quite fond of the little scamp. At ten, Pippin was a bit on the scrawny side, but he’d fill out. The lad ate constantly, after all.

“Well, get on with it,” Pervinca said, looking bored.

“Don’t rush him,” Merry said. “If you rush him he might fall and hurt himself.”

Pervinca frowned. “Well, if he does, then it will be your fault, Merry Brandybuck because you taught him this trick in the first place.” She delivered this news smugly and then looked over at Pippin who was still building his nerve. “Maybe you shouldn’t do it, Pippin. You might fall on your head or something.”

Merry arched an eyebrow. It seemed that Pervinca might be worried for her little brother’s safety. Pippin’s sisters were far too careful with the lad in Merry’s opinion. They’d turn him into a little sissy if someone didn’t take the lad in hand. That was where Merry came in. He would see to it that Pippin did lad things and that he wasn’t afraid to try new things. “You’ll be fine, Pip.”

Pippin smiled that sunny smile of his and flipped himself onto his hands. The little hobbit managed to stand there for a few seconds and then fell to one side. “I almost had it,” Pippin said, sitting on the barn floor. Rain was falling outside which was why the three of them were in the barn in the first place. They had all been bored to death inside. It had rained for three days now and all of them had needed to get out for a bit. Pervinca was cranky, Pippin was filled with pent up energy, and Merry was in desperate need of a change of scenery.

Pearl Took, Pippin’s oldest sister, had been annoyed with all three of them and had readily agreed that they should go out to the barn and play. She was in charge of them for the day because Pippin’s parents were in Tuckborough visiting friends. They had left before the rain had started and they had not yet returned. Pearl was sure that they would wait out the rain before starting back. Their absence was nothing new to her and she was often left in charge of the younger ones.

Pearl was inside, along with Pippin’s twenty-one year-old sister, Pimpernel doing the cleaning and a bit of baking. She was glad to have the three younger ones out of the way for a bit. With any luck, they would all work off some energy.

Pippin stood, dusted himself off a bit and prepared for a second try. He had begged Merry to teach him this amazing trick from the minute he’d seen it. Merry could walk the entire length of the barn on his hands and Pippin wanted to be able to do this also. Pippin wanted to be able to do everything that Merry did. Sometimes, this was a bit of a problem but Merry hadn’t minded teaching this trick to Pippin. It had kept the lad amused and it would also help to built up the strength in those woefully skinny arms. Pippin gave a look over at Pervinca to see if she was still watching. She stuck out her tongue at him and said, “That was not a very good beginning.”

“I was just warming up,” Pippin said, insulted. “I’m better after I’ve warmed up.” He took a deep breath and then turned himself onto his hands again. His furry feet lifted into the air and he struggled to straighten his knees. Merry found that he was holding his own breath as he watched.

“Come on, Pip,” Merry encouraged. “You can do it.” As if propelled by Merry’s words, Pippin began to move forward. It was a shaky start at first, but with each step, Pippin’s balance seemed to improve. Merry’s face split into a grin and he stuck his tongue out at Pervinca. Sometimes she made him do the most childish things.

Pippin ‘s hands continued to move him across the barn while his little legs waved in the air. This was Pippin’s best effort so far and Merry was very encouraged. “Lookin’ good, Pip!”

Pippin, forgetting to concentrate, turned his head slightly in Merry’s direction and puffed, “Thanks, Merry!” He managed to get both words out and then his elbows gave way and down he went. Both of the lad's elbows jutted out to his sides and his head went straight down to the barn floor between them and into the bucket that he had been maneuvering over top of just seconds earlier.

“Pippin!” Pervinca shrieked, and she ran over as her little brother fell flat on the ground, face down with his head in the bucket. She and Merry raced over and lifted the child into a sitting position.

“Pippin, are you all right?” Merry demanded, trying not to laugh. Pippin looked quite comical sitting on the floor with a bucket on his head.

“Honestly, Pippin,” Pervinca scolded, now over her fear as Pippin began to stretch out his legs in front of himself. “You look ridiculous. Take that thing off.”

Pippin, ignoring the bucket, turned toward the sound of his sister’s voice and announced, “See, Vince, I told you I could do it!”

Merry laughed. “You sound funny under there, Pip.” Pippin’s voice was echoing off of the metal bucket.

Pippin giggled which sounded even funnier and both Merry and Pervinca laughed with him. “I do sound funny! I didn’t see this bucket when I was upside down, Merry.”

“I bet you can see it really well now, Pip,” Merry joked.

Pippin giggled again. “Not really. It’s a wee bit dark in here and kind of stuffy.”

“Then take it off, silly,” Pervinca laughed.

“I bet this is like a helmet,” Pippin said, thoughtfully. “Maybe like the ones that Bilbo's dwarves wore in The Battle of the Five Armies. Do you think so, Merry?” Pippin put his hands on the bucket and pulled.

‘It might be, but I imagine that the dwarves could see out a bit better,” Merry grinned, as Pippin continued to pulled on the bucket.

Suddenly the youngster began to squirm about and pull at the bucket in a panicked sort of way. “Merry! Help! It’s stuck!” Pippin’s voice sounded frantic.

Merry frowned. “Hold still, you little goof,” Merry said, taking hold of the bucket. “I’ll get it off.” Pippin stopped squirming and Merry began to pull but nothing was happening. Well, almost nothing.

“Ouch! Merry it hurts,” Pippin wailed. “Get me out of here! It’s not funny now.”

"What have you done?” Pervinca said, glaring at Merry. “Get him out of there now! Pearl will kill us.” She glared at Merry as Pippin began to cry from underneath the bucket. His entire head was covered by the bucket and it looked as if it might be resting on his shoulders. It didn’t look stuck at all, but it was.

“Don’t’ sit there yelling at me, then,” Merry said. “Help me get this off of him.” He stood up and pulled Pippin to his feet. “It’s all right, Pip. Don’t cry. Pervinca and I will get you out.”

Pippin whimpered. “I’m stuck, Merry. Do something!”

“Why is it always me?” Merry moaned and then looked at Pervinca. “Put your arms around his waist and hold tight. I’m going to pull on the bucket. Don’t let go of him, do you hear?”

“I know how to follow instructions, Merry,” Pervinca said, wrapping her arms around her little brother. “You just get this thing off of him before Pearl finds out.”

“Hold him still,” Merry said and then he took hold of the bucket. “Now, just relax, Pip. I’m going to pull on the bucket and I’m sure it will just pop off.” He leaned back and began to pull.

“Ouch!” Pippin squalled. “Merry it hurts! Ouch!” Fearing he might be doing more harm than good, Merry let go a bit too suddenly and Pippin fell back onto a startled Pervinca.

“You told me to hold on tight and then you let go?” Pervinca objected, now sitting on the barn floor with Pippin in her lap. “You are making a mess of this entire thing!”

Pippin took his small fists and hit the bucket hard which he regretted after he’d done so. “Get me out!”

“Now, what?” Pervinca asked, looking over at Merry.

Merry was at a complete loss at this point. He bent down in front of Pippin and took hold of the lad’s hands. “Now, don’t worry Pippin. I’ll think of something. Just stay calm.”

“Think of something soon, Merry, please?” Pippin said. “I don’t like this very much and my head hurts. It’s hard to hear things too. Except for Vince because she’s loud.”

Pervinca made a face at Pippin before realizing that her little brother could not currently see her. “Well?” She looked at Merry.

“We might be able to twist it off,” Merry said, hopefully. “It might just sort of need to be moved about a bit.” He put his hands on the bucket and addressed Pervinca again. “Hold him still.”

“Yes, why don’t I?  That went so well the last time,” Pervinca said, taking hold of Pippin’s shoulders.

“Just be nice, Vince,” Pippin said, sniffling. “Help Merry get me out.”

“It’s going to be fine, Pippin,” Pervinca said, gently, rubbing his shoulders. “Merry will get you out. You just sit still.”

“This feels silly,” Pippin said, mournfully as Merry began to twist the bucket slightly.

“Try to hold your head still, Pip and I’ll try to turn the bucket a bit and get you loose,” Merry instructed.

“You’ll try to get what goose?” Pippin asked, confused.

“I said, loose!” Merry repeated, a bit louder.

“He can’t hear too well in there,” Pervinca reminded Merry.

“Ouch, Merry, stop!” Pippin said, suddenly. “It hurts!”

Pervinca’s eyes were wide with panic and she whispered, “Merry what are we going to do? We have to get him out of this.”

“What’s happening? Merry, are you thinking of something?” Pippin asked, sounding as nervous as Pervinca looked. Merry suddenly wished for someone older than himself that he could turn to for help. He wished Frodo were here. He had no idea what he should do but both of his younger cousins were counting on him.

“Pip, we’re going in the house and get Pearl," Merry said. “She’ll know what to do.”

“Merry you’ve lost your mind!” Pervinca said. “Pearl will be angry. She’ll yell at us something fierce for this!”

“Do you have another idea?” Merry asked. “Because if you do, I’d love to hear it, Pervinca Took. Tell me, how do we get this bucket off of Peregrin’s head?” Merry was yelling too now. “We can’t pull it off and we can’t twist it off. What do you suggest? He can’t continue to wear it!”

“I don’t wanna wear it!” Pippin howled and began to sob. “I want Pearl!”

Pervinca made a face and began to rub Pippin’s back. “All right, Pippin, take it easy.”

“I don’t care if she yells at you. I want this off,” Pippin said. “It’s hot in this old bucket!”

“Come on, Pip,” Merry said, and he gently picked the lad up in his arms. “I’m going to carry you back to the smial because I don’t think you should try to walk with that thing on your head.”

Pervinca got to her feet and followed Merry, dreading what Pearl might say about this mess.

Pippin wrapped his arms around Merry and hung on as they walked out into the rain. “Merry it sounds funny when the rain hits my bucket!” Pippin suddenly crowed. “It’s like the noise it makes when water hits pots!”

Merry couldn’t help but laugh at this. He replied loudly so that Pippin could hear him, “I bet the dwarves heard that noise every time it rained when they had their helmets on.”

“I don’t know how they heard anything!” Pippin yelled as if everyone else were wearing buckets in the rain.

Pervinca poked a finger into her ear and wiggled it. “Not so loud, Pippin. We can hear you.”

“What?” Pippin yelled.

The three of them made quite a sight entering the kitchen. All of them were dripping wet and Pippin still had his head inside of the bucket. As they entered, Nell’s mouth fell open. “What in all of the Shire are you three doing now?”

“I thought I told you lot to play in the barn until the rain stopped,” Pearl said, sternly. ‘Now you’ve tracked rain all in the kitchen! And take that silly bucket off of your head, Peregrin Took!”

“I can’t, Pearl!” Pippin said, loudly.

Pearl looked at Merry and then at Pervinca. “What did you two do?”

“It was all Merry’s fault, Pearl,” Pervinca said. “I didn’t do anything!”

“I didn’t do anything!” Merry objected with a glare at Pervinca.

“Pearl,” Pippin whined. “I did it my own self! Please get it off! My ears hurt!”

Pearl sighed. “It’s all right, dearest.” She then looked at Merry. Sit him on the table and hold him still. “It’s going to be just fine, Pippin.”

“Everyone keeps saying that and I’m still not out of this!” Pippin said as Merry sat him on the table.

"What are you going to do, Pearl?” Nell asked, reaching over and touching the bucket as if to convince herself that it was really there.

“Pervinca, you’re already wet,” Pearl observed. “Go out to Papa’s little storage shed and get that grease that he uses on the wagon wheels.”

“But it’s raining!” Pervinca objected.

“That is why I chose you. You’re wet already,” Pearl said.

‘Well, Merry’s wet too!” Pervinca complained.

“Pervinca Took!” Pearl yelled and the younger lass turned and hurried out into the rain. Pervinca would much rather face the storm outside than one of Pearl’s storms.

“Pearl, are you doing it yet?” Pippin asked.

"Doing what, darling?” Pearl asked, rubbing Pippin’s knee to try and sooth him.

“Saving me from this bucket,” Pippin said.

“I will be in just a minute," Pearl said, smiling.

Pervinca soon returned even wetter and in a worse mood. How that was possible, Merry wasn’t at all sure, but Pervinca had managed it. “Here,” Pervinca said, sitting the container of grease down next to Pippin. “I hope you all will be very happy when I catch a terrible cold!”

“What are you doing?” Pippin asked, unable to see. He patted his hand around and proceeded to put it into the grease. “What's that stuff?”

“Pippin!” Pearl and Merry both yelled as Pippin’s hand came out of the container and hit Merry in the chest, smearing him with the nasty-looking brown goo.

Pervinca giggled. “Now, that’s funny!”

“I love this shirt!” Merry moaned. “I don’t think this will ever come out!”

Pippin wailed. “It has to come out! I don’t wanna stay in here!”

Pearl glared at Merry and then leaned over and yelled at Pippin. “I’m getting you out, love. Don’t’ cry. Merry wasn’t talking about your head. He spilled grease on his shirt is all. He doesn’t think that the stain will come out.”

“Don’t lie to me! I’m not a baby,” Pippin yelled.

“Of course you aren’t, “Merry said, and he looked at his damaged shirt. I spilled grease on it?

“Lean you head forward, Pip and hold still while I get you out,” Pearl said, confidently. Everyone admired that about Pearl. She was always so sure of everything. They all watched as she stuck her hand in the grease and then put her hand into Pippin’s bucket and began to slather the grease about as best she could. She managed to get it on as much of the lower part of the bucket as she could reach and by leaning Pippin’s head nearly upside down, she managed to let the grease run down into the bucket next to the sides of Pippin’s head.

“That feels gooshy and I’m dizzy, Pearl,” Pippin complained.

“I know, love, but it won’t be long now,” Pearl said, and continued to put more grease into the bucket. “Hold him still, Merry.”

“Not this again!” Pippin yelled. “It will hurt!"

Pearl slowly began to twist on the bucket which allowed the grease to slide around and coat more of the insides. She then wiped her hand on her apron, which shocked Merry, as she was now coated with the foul grease, and then got a firm grip on the bucket and began to twist a bit and pull at the same time. Suddenly there was a popping noise and Pearl and then bucket went flying back onto the floor.


Pippin’s head was, once again, visible. The little hobbit was red in the face from the lack of cool air inside of the bucket and from crying and his hair was matted with the grease, but he looked unharmed. “I’m out!” He yelled in relief. “Where’s Pearl?” He frowned, looking about the kitchen for his rescuer.

“Down here, Pippin,” Pearl said, attempting to get to her feet.

“What are you doing down there, Pearl?” Pippin asked, as the other three tried hard not to laugh.

“When your bucket slipped off, I slipped with it,’ Pearl said, coming over and putting a finger under Pippin chin. She stared at him, critically and checked him for injuries. “Are you hurt?”

“I don’t think so,” Pippin said. “I’m glad that nasty old bucket is off.”

“Me too,” Pearl smiled.

Pippin propelled himself into her arms finishing the job of ruining her clothing with the grease. “Oh, Pearl, you saved me! Merry and Pervinca were useless!”

Pervinca looked thunder-struck but Merry snickered.

“They were?” Pearl said amused, holding her little brother in her arms.

“Yes. They don’t know anything about buckets,” he told his sister.

“You lot clean up this kitchen and Merry, you and Pervinca get some dry clothes on while I get this mess out of Peregrin’s hair,” Pearl ordered. “Keep a close eye on both of them, Nell. As we have just been informed, they are both useless.” With that, she walked out of the kitchen with Pippin in her arms.

“I can walk on my hands, Pearl,” Merry heard Pippin saying. “Wanna see me do it later?”

The End





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List