Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Phantasm  by lovethosehobbits

Disclaimer: All characters and places depicted are the sole property of the JRR Tolkien Estate; my only claim to fame is this small piece of fiction. No copyright infringement is intended.

Medical Disclaimer: While extensive research has been done, none of the cures or procedures depicted in this story should be used without first consulting a medical professional. Also there may be graphic medical details and wee hobbit behinds in this chapter, so if that makes you squeamish, you'd better pass.

I apologize for it taking me so long to update. RL has been frantic and I find that my chapters seem to be getting longer and longer. So, I think in order to update sooner I'll have to either cut the chapters down a bit or just stay with the longer intervals between updates. I will do my best to update sooner, but be warned, I am in a real pile of do-do with my other activities so please, please be patient with me....and thanks as always, for being such devoted readers.

An AU tale about Frodo and the Ring of Power...

Phantasm Chapter Three

Friends Found

He and Legolas had marched in the freezing blizzard for what felt like hours. At first they had tried to carry on a clipped conversation but the wind had swept the words from them too often to be heard by the other party. After that conversing had become almost impossible at any rate, what with the combination of the constant slipping and falling, mostly on Aragorn's part, and the weight of exhaustion and worry that wore them down to the point of marching more out of rote than anything else.

Aragorn remembered as a young child living amongst the tall and graceful elves, reveling in the beauty of snow. The days had been an endless melee of running, throwing snowballs at unsuspecting elves, fort building and warming frozen hands, only to run back outside and recommence freezing them once again. The elves had had no young elflings, not younger than 1000 years at any rate, and they delighted in watching the antics of the inexhaustible boy as he frolicked in the fluff. Some had even become compatriots; engaging in snowball fights or the building of intricate forts while Elrond had stood, out of sight, grinning at the sight of the elaborately robed high elders crawling about with the child on all fours or suddenly pelting the unwary from a carefully contrived ambush.

"Ummph," Aragorn said losing his footing again and falling hard as they traversed a particularly steep slope. He cringed inwardly knowing that Legolas would, once again, have to assist pulling him to his feet. The snow was so powdery he simply could not right himself alone, and he was growing increasingly weary of the sure-footed elf always looking down at him at that awkward angle while offering him a hand up.

As if on cue, Legolas approached and extended his hand. "Are you all right, Estel?" he asked for the 100th time.

And Aragorn answered, for the 100th time back, "Yes, thank you my friend." Then they would resume their descent. At one point Aragorn had fallen, but instead of trying to get up he had leaned back and allowed the slope to carry him down the mountain side. It had been quite exhilarating. When Legolas had arrived at his side, after he had thumped into a snow bank and come to an abrupt halt, the snow covered ranger had only grinned stupidly up at the worried expression on his out of breath companion's face. He had been severely reprimanded for his reckless behavior by the elf but had only chuckled to himself. Yes, it had been dangerous. He could just have easily gone over a cliff, but he had enjoyed the all to rare sensation of child like delight that had flowed through him. But that had been many hours before and with each sinking step in the new flakes, Aragorn felt more and more desperate to reach Frodo, hoping, by some miracle, that he was still alive.

"How much further do you think, Legolas?" he gasped.

"We are close. Perhaps the next valley," replied the elf. The drop in temperature had become more and more pronounced as true night crept over each foothill, slipping towards them until, at last, they too had been plunged into a gray twilight. The terrain was only visible to them now because of the glittering snow, seemingly lit from within, that covered all. Aragorn felt a sudden chill and once again, worried about his friend. If he was feeling the cold with his constant movement, how much more so would the effect be on an injured and immobile hobbit? He strove to increase his pace and Legolas, as if reading his friend's thoughts, did the same. At last they approached the area where Legolas had said he had seen the crumpled ringbearer's body so many hours before. They paused and surveyed the mass of tumbled rocks, uprooted trees and swells of powder that had accumulated from the avalanche. Aragorn sighed and rubbed at his face wearily. How could anyone or anything have survived the sheer destructiveness of the mountain, he thought, feeling deflated as he looked about. He felt a light hand on his shoulder and turned to see the smiling features of his longtime friend.

"Worry not, my friend, I believe Frodo yet lives. He would be over that way from where we saw him above," he said softly, pointing. They recommensed traversing the flat until they reached a rather large jumble of boulders. Heavy snowfall covered all so that the tumble more resembled a family of trolls clustered together than anything else. Carefully they picked their way around each boulder looking for any sign of their lost friend. Aragorn had been about to ask Legolas if he was certain this was the right spot when the elf had called out to him. "Estel. Here!"

Aragorn ran towards the elf who was bent low to the ground pushing the accumulated snow away from a strip of material that lay peeking from below. It was Frodo's cloak. Together they dug through the down until they came to a small declivity that, by some miracle they did not understand, the hobbit lay cocooned in. Together they marveled that the ringbearer's body had shifted as the snow had settled, creating the small hollow, or cave, and trapping air in with him. Aragorn smiled up at Legolas. They reached in as one, and slowly lifted the inert form of their friend to the surface. Legolas stripped off his cloak laying it between them, and they wrapped Frodo within its folds. Aragorn pressed two fingers to Frodo's neck, closing his eyes as he tried to feel a heartbeat. With a huge sigh his eyes popped open suddenly as he looked again at Legolas. "He lives! By the Valar, he lives!" he cried. "I need to examine him further before we move him. He could have any number of injuries including a broken back, afterwards we can try to get some warmth back into him. I wish I had a bit of light. It will be difficult to see how badly he is truly injured without it," he said to himself. He looked around at his surroundings. When he turned back around he saw that Legolas was digging through a fairly large pack that he had been carrying.

Legolas grinned. "I have these," he said, producing two long sticks the ends of which were tightly bound in torn rags. "And this," again he produced a small wad of rendered fat. "Samwise thought we might be needing some torches and graciously gave up his cooking grease to help create them," he said with a smile.

Aragorn grinned widely. "Remind me to thank our gardener when we return. He may have just saved Frodo's life by this simple gesture." He took the tokens and rubbed the fat over the cloth. Using his flint he soon had two blazing brands. A soft glow now covered the ringbearer and Aragorn gasped as he beheld the extent of Frodo's injuries. "Oh, my small friend," he whispered softly. "Legolas, I do not know if we should make camp here or rejoin the others. I believe, if we could make it back to the cave, that that would increase Frodo's chances of survival." He looked up at Legolas.

"Although I have no knowledge of the healing arts, I must agree. While we could possibly survive the night in the open, I do not believe Frodo would. We should make every effort to rejoin our friends once you have seen to his injuries," Legolas commented.

Aragorn nodded in agreement. He turned back to Frodo and slowly began feeling down Frodo's frame, checking for breaks. Gently he worked his fingers around the back of Frodo's neck and on down his back and was satisfied that there were no breaks that he could feel. Next he began checking the small arms. He winced as he took in the site of the right arm. "This is a very bad break. We will need to splint it before moving him from this spot. He proceeded to Frodo's ribcage and discovered two fractured ribs. Finally, he felt along the hobbit's hips and stopped, taking in a sudden breath. "A bad dislocation here," he murmured. He felt along each leg and foot and, at last, rocked back on his heels. "Amazing. I am truly amazed at how few injuries he sustained. He could still have internal bleeding, but on first examination he looks remarkably fit for such a tremendous fall." He looked up at the cliff above them. "He was unconscious when he fell which is, perhaps, why he has so few breaks," he murmured to himself. Legolas gave him a confused look.

He smiled as he began to elaborate. "When someone is conscious and falls, instinctively they will tense their muscles in anticipation of the landing. Their body becomes rigid. This can cause bones to break and muscles to tear. But when one is unconscious and falls they are like a child's rag doll; they are loose, their muscles relaxed. When this happens, they land a bit softer than if they were rigid like they would normally be when awake. In addition it seems that Frodo fell off the precipice along with all of the boulders and rubble but also with all of the new fallen snow, luckily landing in the softer snow than on the boulders. I do not know how he managed to avoid landing amidst the boulders. If he had he would, most assuredly, be beyond our help. But see how there is this deep hollow here where he landed?" He pointed to where they had only recently extricated their friend. "He landed in the softer snow, his body pushed into the mass, and then was covered with the rest of the fluff. There was some shifting, it appears, or he would not have had this hollow that gave him air to breath. Eru must have watched him this night. No boulders landed on him, only around him. Even still he has some very serious injuries. His right arm is badly broken, he has at least two fractured ribs, his left leg is out of its hip joint and he has a major concussion. The concussion and arm are my greatest worries at present." He looked up at Legolas and gave him a weak grin and Legolas's eyes registered understanding of the explanation and then the worry.

"What can I do to help you, Estel?" he asked solemnly.

"First we will need to pull the dislocated leg back into the hip joint and then, somehow, find something to splint the arm with," he said, looking about him, trying to locate any small pieces of wood he could use as a splint. When he turned back to Frodo he noticed that Legolas had removed his armguards. "Legolas, I take back all of the nasty thoughts I ever had about you and your fleet footedness," Aragorn exclaimed with a grin.

"I can hardly be blamed if men are clumsy and plodding," Legolas responded with a smirk. Aragorn grinned and took the proffered guards.

"Yes, they are almost the exact length of his arm and are stiff enough to provide adequate support. These should work well," Aragorn murmured. "I will need you to hold Frodo's upper body rather firmly as I maneuver the leg back into place. It will be quite painful. I can only hope he is beyond feeling," he said as he gently uncovered the left leg and moved Frodo so that he was leaning more to his right. Legolas moved to cradle the hobbit's upper body within his own as Aragorn placed one hand on the hobbit's hip and pulled with a jerk on the left thigh. Frodo struggled weakly against them, crying out like a wounded animal as the sudden pain assailed him. But his limbs were too frozen to move and he was unable to fight off the demons that now attacked him. Legolas hummed softly to him as he finger combed the frozen ringlets. Frodo cried out saying "No, no, don't..." as Aragorn pulled yet again, this time at a slightly different angle. At last the leg went home and the ranger quickly bound a length of cloth around the hip to hold it in place and add additional support to the weakened joint.

"I am so sorry my small friend, for having to hurt you further," he whispered to the hobbit. He surreptuously swiped at his eyes as he turned his face away for a moment.

Legolas gazed at his friend in empathy. "Estel, Frodo knows you would never intentionally bring harm to him," he said.

"I know, but I feel brutish having to force my strength upon an already battered and frail body," he said gruffly.

"Frodo's body may be frail but there is nothing weak about this person," Legolas smiled down at the patient.

Aragorn smiled back. "Yes, he is one of the most strong willed, stubborn people I have ever met. His force of will is that of ten full-grown men. If he were but a few feet taller I believe he would be quite beyond all of the Fellowship's combined control," he said with a laugh.

"Indeed," the elf looked down at Frodo and gently pulled the cloak closer about his frame.

Aragorn released a great shuddering breath as he prepared himself to deal with the arm. He folded back the cloak and removed the bloodied sleeve of Frodo's shirt to examine the break. The bone jutted jaggedly out of the pale forearm and Aragorn winced at how much blood had puddled beneath it.

"Legolas, I will need you to reach under Frodo's shoulder and grasp his elbow. I will pull from the wrist and together, hopefully, we can bring the bones back together." Legolas nodded and swallowed thickly as he looked down at the break. He wished, more than anything, at that moment, that he had had some of Elrond's significant healing powers. He closed his eyes and prayed to the Valar for the strength of will to help his friend. When he felt at peace once again, he opened his eyes and looked at Aragorn. Aragorn gave him an understanding smile and a nod, indicating he was ready. The arm lay twisted upon the elven cloak as Aragorn slowly pulled the wrist towards him. Frodo's brow furrowed and a weak whimper escaped his lips. Aragorn frowned at the lack of reaction to what, must have been, excruciating pain. He worried that Frodo might be losing his battle with the cold and refocused all of his energy on quickly setting the bone so that they could begin the long hike back. He desperately hoped that hot tea and a bright fire would greet them or he feared Frodo would perish. All of these thoughts came in a flash as he watched Frodo's face for any signs of distress. Frodo began to writhe, trying to escape the darkness that held him and the malevolent beings that came with it. He began to sob softly as he struggled, willing his frozen limbs to move and, thus, escape the onslaught. Aragorn glanced up at Legolas. The elf's face was a picture of stoicism; no emotion was evident there. But Aragorn had known the elf most of his life and could see the great distress that Legolas was experiencing within the calm, gray eyes. At last the bone slipped beneath the skin and long strips of gauze were wrapped around it until Aragorn was satisfied that the bleeding was under control. The arm guards were then fastened firmly around it, holding the bones securely in place.

Aragorn quickly re-clothed the limb and lay it across Frodo's chest. He gathered his remaining bandages and tightly bound the small chest to keep the ribs in place. The arm was then secured against the chest so that it was also immobilized. The ranger wrapped Frodo's body within the elven cloak and moved to his head. There were multiple bumps and cuts, but one large lump on the back of Frodo's skull, in particular, caught his attention. "We will have to wait and see about this," he said to himself. Frodo still sobbed quietly as Legolas wiped the tears from the ringbearer's face.

Legolas looked down at his friend. "Frodo. Frodo, can you hear me, my friend?" he asked softly. The cries silenced but there was no other indication that the ringbearer was aware of his surroundings or those who sought to give him aid.

"We should have brought another..." Aragorn began as he watched the elf pull from his pack a heavy hobbit sized cloak. Legolas smiled playfully up at the ranger.

"Sam's?" Aragorn asked.

"Sam's. He gave it to me just as we were leaving. He wanted to make sure Frodo was wrapped tightly within it's folds before we brought him back," replied the elf.

"But, what if we had not been able to save Frodo?"

"He refused to believe that Frodo would be beyond our aid. But I did ask him of that very thing. He said, 'I still wants my Mr. Frodo wrapped up tight and cozy like, no matter what'," Legolas smiled at the memory of the hopeful expression on the gardener's tear streaked face. "I promised that I would see it done. I am most relieved that this will be wrapped around a living, breathing hobbit than the alternative," he added.

"As am I. What else have you within that pack of yours?" Aragorn asked prodding the pack with his foot.

Legolas grinned. "I have this," he pulled out one of Frodo's blankets from his bedroll. Aragorn's eyebrows rose in pleasant surprise.

"You are most prepared this day, it would seem. I am grateful, as I was so intent on getting down the slope to retrieve Frodo I left completely unprepared save for my healer's pouch." Aragorn smiled at his friend in gratitude.

"Alas, I would enjoy taking credit for all of these mysterious packages, but I cannot. Master Gamgee insisted on pressing these articles upon me. I almost refused him, thinking I would be unable to negotiate the parcels but then he packed them quite efficiently within my pack and I could not refuse. I think I would have been unable to refuse him at any cost, as his worry and concern were so evident for his master."

"Sam, nay, all of the hobbits seem to have a way of getting whatever they wish from us 'Big Folk'. Their eyes show their emotions so truly and they are so pure of heart, it is simply too hard to turn away, I have found," Aragorn murmured. He gently pulled Legolas's cloak tighter about the hobbit at their feet. "We should wrap him first in Sam's cloak and then again in the blanket. I will return your cloak to you and carry Frodo next to my chest under my own cloak. I brought some leather straps from Bill's tack to lash Frodo's body to mine, so that I could still use my hands. I will still need to hold him it seems, as his injuries prevent me from doing other than carrying him under his back and legs."

Legolas nodded slowly as he considered any adjustments he might be able to make to make the carrying of their patient easier. "I will fashion a sling of sorts for you to wear so that Frodo can lie against you without further injury to his wounds. In this way you will have some limited use of your hands for balance. He quickly fashioned the straps to wrap about Frodo's upper body and above his knees. After they removed Frodo from Legolas's cloak and wrapped him in Sam's thick wool one and then again in the wool blanket, Aragorn removed his cloak. The wind whipped and tore at him blowing ice crystals into his eyes and nose, causing him to tear and his body to tremble with each blast. Frodo was lashed across the ranger's chest with only his face visible amidst the swathing below Aragorn's right shoulder, his body lay across the ranger's to rest on the left hip. Legolas pulled the cloak over the trembling ranger and hobbit, fastening the ties in front. Aragorn flexed his hands and arms showing that, if he had to, he could use them without dropping Frodo. He preferred to hold Frodo against him so that, perhaps, his body might impart some small amount of heat into the quaking form. Giving one last look around, they left the area.

They climbed slowly upwards, zigzagging across the mountain to try and make the journey less perilous and smoother for the injured ringbearer. Even still Frodo cried out frequently and Aragorn could be heard faintly whispering his apologies or soothing words to his friend.

"Can you not give him something for the pain?" Legolas asked after one particularly nasty stumble in which Aragorn would have fallen if not for the elf's steadying hand. Frodo had screamed in agony and now struggled against the man's breast trying to escape this new captivity. Aragorn softly stroked Frodo's back and crooned into the blankets trying to calm his friend.

"I cannot. He has a severe concussion. If I give him a sedative we might not be able to wake him later." He looked up at Legolas as a sudden idea came to mind, causing his eyes to alight with hope. "Legolas would you get me a single leaf of athelas from my healers pouch?" Legolas nodded and began rummaging through the pouch, which he now carried for the healer. He found the athelas and extracted the leaf and gave it to Aragorn. Aragorn placed the leaf in his mouth to wet it, then opened Frodo's small mouth, placing the leaf under his tongue. After a few moments, Frodo's struggles ceased and his cries calmed. "I do not know how long the effects of the athelas will last. The leaves have a mild narcotic effect. Perhaps it will be enough to carry us back to our friends." Legolas re-stowed the pouch and they began to climb once again. The zigzag course, while smoother for Frodo's sake, added hours they were not certain they had, onto their journey. After many hours the exhausted duo began to smell wood smoke and the enticing scent of simmering stew, and their hopes soared at the possibility that they were close to camp. Legolas stood below the cliff they had clambered down earlier, brow furrowed in worry. Aragorn knew what concerned the elf. It had been one thing to climb down the escarpment unburdened and in daylight, but how to climb up carrying a badly injured comrade in darkest night? This problem had teased at Aragorn's brain for the last hour or so as he sought an answer before having to face the dilemma. As usual, the answer came unlooked for.

"Halloo," came a call from the precipice above them. The cherubic face of Meriadoc peered down at them. Gandalf and two other heads peeked over the edge, with Merry on one side of the wizard and Pippin on the other.

"We have been making preparations for your return, my frozen friends," the wizard's voice floated down to them.

"We are relieved to see you, Mithrandir, and hope you have a solution to our quandary," Legolas called back.

"We do indeed...stop that, oh, all right then..." came a muffled exchange. Aragorn and Legolas looked at each other in confusion. "I have three very distraught hobbits who wish to know how their cousin and friend is doing," Gandalf called in a slightly irritated voice. Both the ranger and elf could detect the silent question behind the wizard's words. Did Frodo survive the fall? But there was also hope unspoken for in the inquiry.

"He lives. He has injuries that need my attentions and he is suffering from the cold, but...he lives," Aragorn said, trying to give his voice the inflection it needed to calm the rest of the party.

"Wonderful, we now have a very relieved gathering anxiously awaiting your return, Aragorn. We have a bit of a surprise for you. You'll find we have not been idle while you were recovering our dear boy, no indeed." A chuckle carried on the wind down to the two rescuers. Once again Legolas and Aragorn exchanged quizzical looks with one another.

From Aragorn's left he heard the unmistakable sound of footsteps. He shifted quickly to his right causing a scream of pain to erupt from Frodo. He placed the palm of his left hand on Frodo's trembling back, trying to impart some measure of comfort to his stricken friend, as he pulled his sword, preparing for battle, with his right. Legolas too, had adopted a fighter's stance and now held one of his curved elven blades in his right hand, while in his left, he lifted the torches aloft.

"My apologies, my friends, for approaching without some warning. Most of all, I apologize for causing further pain to Frodo. I hope my blundering upon you has not inflicted further injury," came the heavy baritone. Boromir materialized within the glow of the torchlight, his face contrite. He moved forward and bowed his head to Aragorn. "I wanted to contribute something to aid in Frodo's rescue after my hasty and unfeeling remarks earlier. Is he well?" he asked in concern.

"He lives. He has many serious injuries that we will see to once back at camp," Aragorn replied cautiously. He lowered his sword, as did Legolas, and quickly checked Frodo to make sure that no further harm was done. Despite the cold Frodo's forehead was beaded in sweat.

"I am deeply ashamed of my conduct and offer my services, however you may see to use them and for as long as they be needed," Boromir said humbly.

Aragorn's mouth opened in astonishment that quickly turned to a look of friendly impasse. He could only imagine how difficult it had been for Boromir, a strong and proud man, to say such words of humble contrition. While he had been angry with Boromir for being more concerned about the ring than for Frodo's well being, he too, had spoken hastily, reacting as Frodo's champion and protector in the ringbearer's absence. "Boromir, I too, would like to ask forgiveness for my actions earlier. I was feeling much stress concerning Frodo after he had fallen, but that was no reason to start barking orders like some er..." he hesitated.

"King?" Offered Boromir with a smile.

Aragorn returned the smile. "Those would not have been my words, but yours, my friend," he said with a laugh.

"Friend. Perhaps we could agree on that word. I would like to try harder to work together if that is agreeable to you," Boromir looked nervously at Aragorn.

"I would like that very much, Boromir," Aragorn replied with a clap on the Gondorian's shoulder. Legolas smiled and looked up at the cliff's ledge where five other faces smiled down, witnessing the exchange. Gandalf gave him a nod as if to say 'perhaps there is still hope for the race of man.'

Boromir looked up at the cliff top and called out "Gandalf, would you please lower down the 'surprise' for our weary travelers?" He smiled at the questioning looks he received from both Aragorn and Legolas.

They could hear Sam's soft voice speaking encouragingly to someone and then, over the edge of the precipice, emerged what appeared to be a netted travois. It descended slowly until at last Boromir reached up and guided it down to rest at their feet. Legolas bent down and lit the area with torchlight revealing a small basket made of wood and lined with blankets. Aragorn slowly knelt, mindful not to cause any more pain to Frodo, and examined it admiringly.

"How did you do this? We have been gone a mere span of hours and you have created this wondrous thing," he asked in awe as he examined first the basket, then the 'ropes' that held it. He looked up in amazement at the Gondorian.

Boromir smiled tentatively down at Aragorn. "Everyone seemed to have a task to focus on excepting myself. After Gimli, Merry and I returned to the cave with the downed saplings, I noticed that the green wood had an interesting pliancy to the bark. Gimli was good enough to strip the bark for me and cut the remainder into firewood. At first, I simply needed something to occupy my mind and my hands, but soon I found I had woven what you see before you. Since the wood was green it was remarkably flexible and soft. Gandalf approached me as I worked and watched to see what I was making. I think it impressed him that I had other skills than those of a soldier. He and I also had many hours to talk. He is very wise, but I'm sure you already know that," Boromir said huskily. Aragorn nodded as he continued to stare up at the man before him, suddenly realizing how little he knew about him. He made a mental note to himself to rectify that situation once Frodo's injuries had been seen to.

"But the ropes how...?" Legolas began.

Boromir smiled. "Pippin, ever curious as he is, came over to see what I was doing and wanted me to show him how to weave. Merry soon joined us, so I taught them both. Gandalf stood for a space of time, watching and smoking, lost in thought. He asked many questions concerning the resiliency and strength of the rope and if it could possible support, say, the weight of a hobbit. We discussed the idea of constructing a rope to attach to the basket and then, if needed, we could lower it down, retrieve Frodo, and with Bill's help hoist the basket and ringbearer back up the cliffside. Merry and Pippin became quite driven after hearing the idea, focusing on weaving the strongest rope they could. What you see here is the culmination of their efforts," he gestured with a grin.

"Boromir, I do not know what to say," Aragorn said with a smile.

Boromir fiddled restlessly with the woven rope. "I only wished to make amends for my previously abhorrent behavior," he mumbled. "I quite enjoyed working with those two scamps, Merry and Pippin. I've developed quite an attachment to them," he added.

"They are scamps, to be sure, but you seem to have become very important to them as well. They can be a handful at times but once given direction, can be considerably quick and industrious. You have shown great patience for them and their antics, something I have had to struggle with, unfortunately," observed Aragorn.

"They make me laugh," Boromir looked down with a smile. "It has been long since anyone or anything has made me laugh. They are a lighthearted people and I envy them and their innocence," he said.

Legolas shifted his weight so that he stood in front of Boromir. He had been lovingly admiring the workmanship of the basket as they spoke. "The weaving is beautiful. Where did you learn such craftsmanship?" he asked.

"My mother taught me when I was but a child. I would plait her hair sometimes as we spoke of simple things," he sighed wistfully.

Aragorn rose slowly. "Thank you for this, Boromir. You have solved a problem for us that we had not the ability to solve for ourselves." He placed a hand on the soldier's shoulder and squeezed it companionably. Boromir smiled slightly and with a nod, acknowledged the compliment. Legolas removed Aragorn's cloak slowly so as not to jostle the injured hobbit, and lay it aside. Then Boromir and Legolas loosed the straps while Aragorn held Frodo firmly to him. At last he was freed and Aragorn knelt and tenderly laid him in the basket, as he would have a newborn babe. Boromir could see little of Frodo's injuries due to the many layers of cloak and blanket, but gently padded additional blankets around the unconscious from and then stood, holding the basket aloft. He called up the cliff side that they were ready and slowly the light burden began to inch its way upwards. The three watched from below, holding their collective breathes until, at last, the basket was within easy reach of those on top. Aragorn retrieved his cloak and the three began to climb up the near vertical wall. It was a dangerous climb but they took frequent breaks to rest trembling muscles whenever a shallow ledge or handhold would allow it. At last they reached the top, helped each other over the edge, and moved quickly to the cave's entrance.

Gandalf had carried the basket and it's precious cargo, into the cave where it now rested near the fire. Sam sat beside the basket and wept softly as he gently touched his master on his hands or face or tucked blankets closer about him, fussing as always, while murmuring to his master and friend, all the while. Pippin had disengaged the rope and was now lovingly coiling it about his short arm. Merry was feeding one of his prized apples to Bill, telling him what a fine job he had done and how invaluable he was to all of them. None had taken their eyes from Frodo's still form since he had been set by the fire. Gandalf greeted the three while Gimli continued to cut small branches into kindling.

"My friends, well done. Well done indeed," Gandalf murmured as they entered the cave. "Tell me what we can do to help you with Frodo," he asked. Instantly all eyes were on Aragorn and he sighed inwardly as he warmed himself by the fire. He turned and knelt by the basket and gently reached in and removed Frodo to rest beside him on the sandy cave floor. He began to slowly unwrap the blanket and then, the cloak, from the too still hobbit. When Frodo was at last revealed to all there was a collective gasp. Aragorn slowly looked up into Gandalf's eyes.

"He is badly injured, Mithrandir. We will not be leaving this sanctuary for some days." This was said as a statement of fact and it was understood, would brook no argument from the wizard.

Gandalf frowned slightly. "I see. Well, the blizzard has shown no signs of relenting so it is just as well we stay here with some shelter from the storm instead of trying to fight the elements while carrying an injured hobbit, in any case," he murmured.

"I had steeled myself for more of an argument. You have surprised me again, my friend," Aragorn said.

"I am not totally bereft of feelings, Estel. I have loved this boy since he was a tot on Bilbo's knee and now he is hurting. While I do feel that time is slipping away from us by staying here, I see no reason to further torment this innocent soul to gain scant inches in such abysmal weather," he harrumphed.

Sam had Frodo's left hand in his. "He's so very cold, Strider," he whispered.

"Yes Sam, and it probably saved his life." A perplexed expression appeared on the gardener's face. Aragorn smiled wanly. "The cold slowed all of Frodo's bodily functions. He did not lose as much blood because his circulation was reduced. The numbness actually helped dull the pain and lessen the swelling of the damaged areas in his hip, arm and his head. But he is hypothermic and it is now that we should try to slowly bring his body temperature back to normal. If only we had a basin deep enough to immerse him in," he murmured to himself.

"Aye, we do," exclaimed Pippin. He was quickly aware that all eyes had turned to him and felt suddenly shy about speaking out of turn.

"What do you mean, Pippin?" Aragorn asked looking into the pert face of the youngest member of the Fellowship. Nothing could hold this one down for long, he thought to himself.

"Well, Merry and I were exploring a bit in the back of the cave," he gestured towards the narrow crevice sized room behind them. "And we found the rock floor has a big hollow where the water has been dripping, probably in the spring or summer. Anyway, it won't hold a man but it's almost the same size as my bathtub back home. In fact, I said to Merry 'Merry that's the same size as my...'" Pippin was interrupted by chuckles from Boromir, Legolas and Aragorn. Gandalf merely shook his head and rolled his eyes as he drew again on his pipe.

"What?" Pippin asked, rather indignantly.

"Pip, you really do go on, cousin," Merry said as he handed Pippin a piece of jerky. Pippin's eyes lit up at the sight of food, diverting his attention completely from his previous feelings of being the butt of some private joke.

"Merry would you be so kind as to show Legolas where this 'bathtub' is then Sam, perhaps we could heat some water in your pans, mix it with cold and clean some of this dirt and blood off of your master?" Aragorn soon had all three hobbits eagerly doing his bidding as the other members of the group moved in around him and began speaking quietly amongst themselves.

"How is Frodo really, Aragorn?" Gimli asked. The dwarf's mannerisms may have had all outward appearances of his gruff exterior but his eyes showed genuine concern for the welfare of their fallen comrade.

Aragorn looked up at Boromir, who wore a worried frown on his handsome face, then to Gandalf who bit nervously on his pipe stem. He sighed. "He is holding his own. He is hypothermic but the bath should help to alleviate most of the cold his is feeling. His right arm is badly broken and he has lost a good deal of blood. His left leg was dislocated but Legolas and I managed to remedy that and he has a rather severe concussion. In addition, I don't know if you were aware of this or not, but before Frodo fell from the mountain he was beginning to show early signs of some sort of breathing problem, possibly brought on by the thinner air, but I strongly suspect he was developing pneumonia." Heavy sighs issued from all along with much head shaking and murmurs. "We need to get him warmed up first, then see to his other injuries. Something warm to eat or drink will help immensely."

"Oh, aye, Mr. Strider," Sam said as he caught the last sentence. "I've both, sir. Mr. Frodo has been wantin' some tea and I've made a hearty stew as well," he happily offered.

"Excellent, Sam. Have the rest of you eaten?" Aragorn asked.

"Yes sir, Mr. Strider. We was jes' waitin' for you to return with my master, but Pippin, Merry, Mr. Gandalf and meself we've had our fill," he said.

"Very good. Let's see how the bath is doing, shall we?" Aragorn said as he made to move into the crevice. He examined it thoroughly and wasn't quite sure if he could fit through the opening. Finally he removed his cloak, belts and blades and turning sideways, was able to force his way into the small 'room'. The alcove was dimly lit with two or three torches that had been placed in the rocks about the center of the cave. The floor quickly fell away to a shallow hollow, which was to be used as Frodo's bath. Aragorn had to stoop and would have been hard pressed to call it actually a room at all. It was roughly the size of a small cart, large enough for hobbits but claustrophobic for anyone larger. He knelt by the hollow and saw that its bottom was lined with fine sand and was fed by a steadily dripping stalactite far above his head. He nodded and rose to leave.

"Beggin' your pardon sir, but mayhap Mr. Legolas ought to bring Mr. Frodo to you seein' as how you would never get through that openin' with him held to ya, if you take my meanin', sir," Sam pointed out.

"Of course Sam, how about we get some more blankets in here first then we can retrieve your master. If only we had some soap," he murmured.

"Oh, aye, I brought some wid me, I did." At the astonished look on Aragorn's face, Sam blushed. "Mr. Frodo woulda never thought o' it, he was in such a state when we left, so I packed anything I thought he might be needin' or wantin'," Sam murmured.

"Sam, you are a marvel just as your master always says. My heart is indeed gladdened that you came along with Frodo," he said smiling. Sam blushed furiously at the comment and ran to retrieve all the supplies. Once everything was made ready Legolas slowly scooped Frodo up and carried him to the opening. Seamlessly the elf handed off the ringbearer to Aragorn, who managed to carry him to the pool without causing any additional discomfort to the hobbit. Aragorn slowly knelt by the hollow and began to unwind the bandages surrounding Frodo's clothing and body. Frodo whimpered at the movements but did not waken. Aragorn checked the water temperature and with a gesture to Pippin, asked for more cold water to be brought. Pippin stopped and stared at the ranger, as did Merry and Sam.

"Cold? Don't you mean warm water, Strider?" he asked quietly.

"No Pippin, cold water. In fact why don't you scoop up some snow and let it melt in the bath instead?" he said as he continued to slowly unbind Frodo's bandages. He looked up when he detected no movement from the hobbits. He saw the looks of confusion and elaborated. "Frodo has been very, very cold for many hours now. His body, if subjected to too warm of water, will go into shock from the drastic temperature change. We must bathe him in cool water, by our reckoning, but the water will feel warm to Frodo. Gradually, we will add more and more hot water until his temperature equals our own," he explained. Understanding dawned on the three and they moved as one to collect the snow for the bath. Sam placed more water on the fire in anticipation of adding it gradually to his master's bath. When, at last, Frodo had been divested of his bandages and clothing, leaving only the bandages on his right arm, Aragorn slowly slipped both himself and Frodo into the water. He chuckled at the surprised looks from the hobbits. "I will lay Frodo across me like thus," he laid the injured hobbit across his lap and slowly began to lather and rinse the grimy body. "That way Frodo will not be jostled as much while he is bathed," he explained.

"But Strider, you'll freeze," Merry said in alarm.

"Thank you for your concern, Meriadoc, but I am already quite wet from the snow. Once Frodo has been cleaned and his hurts dealt with, I will change into some drier clothing, I assure you," he said with a small smile.

Frodo coughed wetly, and Aragorn looked up in concern. As Frodo was further enveloped by the tepid water, he stilled. His furrowed brow was the only sign that he was experiencing any discomfort. As the bath was slowly added to with increasingly warmer water, he became more and more fitful, his pains reawakening with the thawing of his body. Finally, he began to cry out, his agony was so great. Aragorn slowly stood, holding his friend close to his body, as a blanket was wrapped about both shivering forms. Legolas was called for and, once again, met them at the room's opening, a dry, warmed blanket already in his arms for Frodo to be wrapped in. When Aragorn emerged from the alcove he saw that Legolas sat by the fire, Frodo in his arms, rocking gently back and forth in a futile attempt at calming the pain filled cries that issued from the blankets. Aragorn retrieved Frodo from Legolas and laid him on the many blankets that would serve as Frodo's bed for the night. He instructed that willow tea be made and a bowl of warm water brought. He crushed three small leaves onto the water and began soaking bandages in the fragrant brew. Slowly he wound each bandage around Frodo's many injuries. He began with the broken arm, removing the old, bloody gauze then replacing it with the warm athelas soaked bandage which he wound snuggly around the small arm. The he took two small pieces of bark that Gimli had cut for him, and re-splinted the forearm. Next he moved to Frodo's chest and, again soaked bandages in the water and bound the fractured ribs tight enough to hold them in place. He hoped that the warm vapors from the athelas would also help Frodo to breathe easier. He dipped a cloth in the water and gently held it to the bloody cut on the back of Frodo's head then dry wrappings were applied around his skull. The hip was bound lastly after further washings with the fragrant water.

Aragorn shifted his weight and gathered his friend across his lap. Slowly he spooned the willow tea then the warm broth into the small mouth which Frodo instinctively swallowed. Legolas approached, and seeing how Aragorn trembled from the cold, said "Estel, come, you must change your own clothing and eat or you will become ill."

"No Legolas, not until Frodo has been cared for," Aragorn said without looking up.

"Estel..."

"No," he said, looking up at Legolas. "I will see to my own needs only after I have seen to his," he said firmly.

Legolas sighed and left, mumbling something about stiff-necked rangers under his breath. After Aragorn was satisfied that Frodo had eaten well and that he had done all he could to alleviate the hobbit's cold and hurts, he tenderly lay him beneath the many covers. He reached for his healers pouch and brought out a small jar. He opened it, dipped a finger in, looked at how much he had scooped up and scraped some back into the jar. When he finally seemed satisfied by the amount he raised Frodo by his shoulders and placed the dollop under his tongue.

"What's that, Mr. Strider?" asked Sam, who had stayed by Frodo's side throughout the feeding and bandaging and was now tucking blankets about his trembling master.

"It is a paste made from poppy seeds. It will help with the pain so that Frodo can rest," Aragorn said wearily.

Sam discreetly eyed the ranger. "You've taken right good care o' him, sir, now you should change out o' them wet clothes and eat some o' that nice hot stew I made," Sam softly chided.

Aragorn smiled. "I will Sam. But I have one last thing to do first. Merry, Pippin ... could you come over here," he called to the cousins as they sat with Boromir by the fire. They immediately rose and walked to the ranger. "I need the three of you to do Frodo a favor," he said.

"Anything," they all chimed.

"I need you to strip down to your small clothes," Aragorn said with a mischievous glint in his eyes. Snorts abounded from the group gathered about the fire. All three hobbits blushed and began to stammer arguments. "Gentlemen, Frodo's body will not be able to hold any warmth for some time and he will need you to keep him warm this night. While sleeping close to him in your clothing will impart some small amount of warmth, sleeping close to him in your small clothes will impart even more. So...I say again, strip, please," he looked at each of them with a look of grim determination and rose, crossing to the fire. He began to change into his dry clothing turning his back to the threesome. The rest of the Fellowship also turned their backs on the hobbits, but a few chuckles and snorts were heard. Merry, Pippin and Sam stood gaping at the ranger's back. Sam turned and looked at his master's trembling body.

"Well, you heard 'em," he whispered, pointing at Frodo. "He needs us to help him stay warm, he does." Merry and Pippin saw their cousin's quaking form and quickly all three were stripped down to their shorts and crawling beneath the mountain of blankets and huddled closely about their friend and cousin. Soon they were all comfortably drowsy and eyelids, pair by pair, began to slip closed. Aragorn checked on Frodo one last time before leaving Boromir on first watch to climb into his own bedroll.

Hours later, while Gimli now stood watch, Frodo's eyes slowly crept open. He did not know where he was only that he was in complete darkness, save for the glow of the banked fire, and that his body thrummed with a dull pain. But he was warm and on all sides of him were the similarly warm bodies of his friends and kin. He felt safe and drowsy, despite the pain. He allowed his body to relax once again, as his eyelids drooped of their own accord. He was almost asleep when he heard, ever so faintly, a voice in the dark. 'Do not trust them...they want only the Ring' it hissed. His eyes flew open as he was seized by sudden panic. He listened for long moments for the voice to return, but gradually the sedative Aragorn had given him and the overall fatigue of the day claimed him and he slowly slipped into dark dreams.

To be continued

Now, I wish to comment on the fantastic reviews I received from all of you...

Endymion2 - Your comments on the story were most welcome, my friend. 'Survivability' is indeed, a word. I refer you to the on line dictionary at ?bookDictionary&vasurvival Please continue to read and review. It is only through comments from the reader that the author is forced to view their work in a different light. This results in introspection and contemplation of their work, which is a good thing.

Heartofahobbit - I am so pleased that you enjoyed the imagery of the beautiful but quite possibly deceptive, maiden and her assistant. Your guess as to their identity will be addressed shortly, but let's just say you were very astute on this point. I tried to think of ways to keep this a mystery for a while but it is just too difficult to mask them, I suppose. Please continue reading to see what treachery is afoot for our poor hobbit.

JesusFreak - I am honored to think you have made me one of your favorite authors!

Linwep - Welcome and thank you so very much for reviewing. Up until a year ago I was a lurker as well, but felt so inspired to write by reading all of the many fantastic authors. I have never been very good at expressing myself by writing, so I was VERY hesitant and nervous at how I would be received. Surprisingly, after ironing out so many of my grammatical errors, I found I was encouraged and greeted with enthusiasm. Now, I constantly seem to have these 'what if' ideas floating around in my brain. I never realized how much fun it could be and how many friends I have gathered around me with the same love of hobbits. Please, come back and read and review some more...you are always welcome.

FrodoBaggins87 - Good guess! Guess I didn't do a very good job trying to mask their identities, did I? LOL.

Coriandra - You do me a great honor by listing my fic on your favorites list.....blushes.

Kellie - Another glowing review for my little fic. I don't know what to say except thanks so much! I am tickled that I have your interest so completely.

BraellyraLeatherleaf - I am so glad I have you hooked. More Lorelei in the next chapter....

Ariel3 - I am so glad I have improved over my first attempts. It was thanks to you and so many others, that that was made possible. Also there is the old 'practice makes perfect' adage, I suppose. Glad you're enjoying the fic...More soon, I hope.

Kali - Don't die of suspense! What would I do without my readers/reviewers, after all? I hope you enjoyed this chapter. More Lorelei in the next chapter.

lindahoyland - Ah my faithful reader/reviewer..thanks so much for your comments. Hobbit angst is fun to write. Poor little fellas.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List