Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Seeing Isn't Always Believing  by shirebound

I mentioned bananas on LiveJournal (and how I felt compelled to pull down all the little ‘strings’ attached to the fruit before eating it) -- and alchemilla challenged me to write a scene where the hobbits encounter bananas for the first time in Minas Tirith.  Couldn’t resist!

STUBBORN AS CAN BE (movie verse)


“I refuse,” Frodo declared.

Aragorn hid a smile and sat on the bed. Even after everything he’d been through in Mordor, Frodo’s spirit blazed as strong as ever. Perhaps even stronger. He and Sam had been tempered by fire, thirst, hunger, pain, weariness, and near death, and Frodo was still too weak to get out of bed unassisted. But weak in body only.

“Frodo,” Aragorn explained to his stubborn patient, “I know this fruit is strange in appearance, but it is the best thing for you right now. Your stomach is still recovering from lack of food, and we must ease you back to more solid fare. Besides...” He grinned. “Peeling them is good therapy for your hand.”

“Aragorn,” Frodo said unhappily, “maybe I should explain. We have a rhyme in the Shire about these... bananas. Pulled from the tree, stringy as can be...” He sighed. “There’s a lot more, all pretty grim. Apparently, the poet was quite ill after eating one of these.”

“I see,” Aragorn said thoughtfully. “I suspect your poet ate one before its ripening.” He slowly peeled the banana, and Frodo’s eyes widened at the smooth, golden fruit within, and the delicate aroma. “See? And only one string.” Aragorn pulled away the offending thread. “I promise this will not make you ill, Frodo. They’re delicious.” He broke off a bit of the top and popped it into his mouth.

“All right,” Frodo agreed tentatively, reaching for the fruit. “Maybe just a bit.” He took a small bite and chewed thoughtfully, finally smiling.

“Good,” Aragorn said, getting to his feet.

“What can you make with these?” Frodo asked suddenly, taking a larger bite. “Most fruits can be made into jams, and---“

“I will consult with the cooks,” Aragorn said solemnly. “I have heard of puddings, custards, even delicious breads made from bananas. Will you taste them if they are brought to you?”

“I’ll try to endure it,” Frodo said, his mouth full. He looked around. “Did you only bring one?”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List