Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

One Heart Protecting Another  by Antane

Chapter 3: Traps Set, Promises Made

The attack came upon Radgast the Brown virtually without warning. Had it not been for one of his friends among the birds crying out an alert, the blade could have cleanly separated his head from his body. As it was, the wizard turned in time to take a glancing blow from the weapon. It still knocked him out, but not before he saw that the orc wore the sign of the White Hand on his armor.

The bird watched as its friend was roughly put over the shoulder of the brute and then it flew away to alert one it knew could help.

When it reached the Shire and Gandalf, somehow unerringly knowing where to go, the wizard took the exhausted bird gently in his hands and listened to its story with a growing frown. “So you know you could not trap me any other way, Saruman,” he murmured to himself, “but to trap the good and know I will come running. So be it. I shall come.”

He let the bird down on the ground where it knew where to peck for food and find rest.

Gandalf was still thinking about the bird's message when he entered Bag End. It was nearly dawn, the Quest was only just beginning again, and the wizard now knew that his former superior, now fully known as his enemy and the enemy of all free peoples, was aware the Ring had re-awoken and was just as bent as before on getting it for himself.

“Fine day, isn’t it, Mr. Gandalf?” Sam said as he looked up from watering the plants inside the home.

Gandalf could not help but smile. He thought of how dear this simple, humble gardener had become to him, nearly as dear as Frodo had been for decades. Both of them were soon to be burdened with many cares, but here was Sam just as cheerful as he had always been. He said a silent prayer of thanksgiving to Iluvatar before he responded. “Yes, Sam, fine indeed. I noticed you have some new plants since I came last.” He nodded to the vase Sam was watering. “Heart’s ease, I believe it’s called?”

Sam beamed. “It is, Mr. Gandalf. I planted them special for Mr. Frodo after we got back near where he likes to sit out in the garden and I brought some in here so he’d always have some near him. His heart has been in sore need of easing.”

“You have always known how to do it, Sam. Thank you. You will have to watch him extra carefully this time as that need is going to continue to grow.”

Sam looked at the wizard and then at the closed bedroom door that was Frodo’s. He had let himself in an hour before to get things ready for the journey and to make one last breakfast of his master’s favorites before they set out again. He looked back at Gandalf, a determined look fixed on his face mixed with the same tenderness that always showed when he thought of Frodo. “You don’t have to worry on that account, Mr. Gandalf,” he said assuredly. “I don’t intend to do anything but.”

“His resistance to the Ring is already weakened from all he endured before,” the wizard continued, “and while you hobbits continue to amaze me, you will need to be vigilant against any changes for the worse. He hasn’t recovered yet from the last time.”

Sam sighed and looked back at the door. He had already checked in on his master when he arrived, being careful to open the door slowly so he wouldn’t disturb Frodo. The older hobbit had been sleeping peacefully, but there had been a slight crease to his brow. “Don’t I know that already too well,” he said. “He’s been clutching that gem Queen Arwen gave a lot. I know it helps him, but I wish none of this had to happen to him and now it’s going to happen all over again.”

“He’ll need you more than ever, Sam. He is fully aware that the Ring has to be destroyed again and he is determined, but you may have to take it from him at some point. He won’t part with it willingly.”

Sam finished his watering and looked back at the wizard. “He couldn’t last time either and I know he wanted to. He just couldn’t. I wish I could take it myself right now.”

“No!” Gandalf said sharply. “No,” he repeated more gently when he saw the young hobbit’s frightened reaction to his vehement tone. “I know your intentions are pure, Sam, and you speak out of love, but I mean only to warn you that taking it would be the very last resort and that hopefully only at the very end, if necessary at all. I know you held it briefly before and withstood it, but if you held it longer, it would bend you to its will as it bent Frodo. It would be a disaster for the whole of Middle-earth if you were both lost. But if he does claim it again or looks like he will, you must be ready to take it from him. And I warn you, to do so will most probably break his mind. But it must be done, do you understand me?”

Sam blinked at tears. “It would break my heart if I hurt him.”

“It would break the world if you didn’t stop him and he claimed the Ring and disappeared. You can be sure that Sauron would not tarry long to claim his prize - both of them. If Frodo wasn’t killed outright by Sauron, then the Dark Lord would use him as a vessel of his will like he does the Nazgul. That cannot happen.”

Tears began to freely fall down Sam’s cheeks, but there was also a fierce protectiveness for his master. “It won’t, Mr. Gandalf. I promise you it won’t.”

Gandalf smiled and put his hands on the hobbit’s shoulders. “And I know you keep your promises, Sam. Frodo could not have a better protector or friend than you and he will need both.”

Sam looked down, uncomfortable with the praise.  He wiped at his tears and took a deep breath, exhaling it in a gust. He set his shoulders and his expression turned to grim determination. “He will have them, no matter what happens. There’s nothing I wouldn’t do for him. Walking beside him is the least.”

“It’ll mean the most to him, Sam,” the wizard said. “Thank you.”

Sam blushed. “No need to thank me, Mr. Gandalf.”

Gandalf smiled. “I know, but I beg you to allow me that little indulgence.”

He handed Sam a sealed envelope and Sam knew without even asking what was inside. “Put it aside for a moment on the mantle and don’t touch it or I really will turn you into something unnatural.”

Sam took the envelope gingerly and did as he was told.

“Now I must bid you goodbye, Sam,” Gandalf said. “Some urgent business has come up that I must attend to before I can join you, but don’t wait for me. Set out as soon as you can after breakfast. Time is already slipping away.”

Sam nodded and watched the wizard leave. Then he went to the kitchen and prepared a large mushroom omelette and the chamomile tea Frodo usually preferred in the evening, but Sam didn’t think it would be minded this morning. After he was done, he set two place settings in the dining room and went to wake his master.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List