Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Dreamflower's Dribs and Drabs  by Dreamflower

  (I will not be posting the scavenger hunt quote results with my entries; since I participated in creating the prompts it would not be fair.)

B2MeM Challenge: March 7, Ents
Format: Double drabble
Genre: Black humor
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: Character death
Character(s): OC Orc, Beechbone
Summary: Working for Isenguard, an Orc can't win for losing.
Quote:
“Now let thy children beware! For there shall walk a power in the forests whose wrath they will arouse at their peril.”

Mandatory Overtime

Grekh looked uneasily at the trees looming over him, and glanced out onto the plain, where he saw his companions dragging away the night's harvest. Uglúk had been angry with him because he had not felled his quota of wood to stoke the fires of Isengard; he'd been ordered to stay behind until he had felled at least three more trees--they would return to drag them back on the morrow.

Somehow those trees seemed much larger than they had when the others had been by him. And three trees would take nearly all the rest of the night to finish cutting. It would be daylight before he was done; he was no Uruk-hai and he did not like the idea of going back to Isengard under the Sun. But of course it would have been foolish indeed to dispute Uglúk's orders. Uglúk had a quick temper and a sword. Might as well get on with it.

Grekh raised his ax. It vanished from his hands. He looked up and screamed at the tree monster, a scream cut off as the woody foot descended.

Beechbone looked with disgust at the bottom of his foot. "Hoom-hah! Orcs! Brm, hoom! Foul burárum!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List