Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Love Letters  by Antane

Chapter Eight: Still Together

Tomorrow’s the 13th, dear. I hope you won’t be ill. I hope it will be just another day for you, not even noticed as anything in particular, just each day being brighter than the last. But if you do take another turn, I know Mr. Bilbo and Mr. Gandalf will take good care of you, better than I could, but it still tears in me in two that you might be ill and I am so far away from you. It was that hard to bear it coming home from the Havens knowing the next day was the 6th and I wouldn’t be there. I will hold out my hand to you tonight. Take it, my dear, if you need to. I will sing to you too in the hopes you will hear.

Goodnight, dearest. Sleep well, this night of all nights. Your Sam loves you so much.

* * *

Yesterday was the 13th, Sam. I entered the dark room of Iluvatar’s the night before and spent the entire time staring at that red lamp. Gandalf spent part of the time with me as I think he was afraid to leave me alone even here and Bilbo came for the same reason. And I have to say, I was afraid too. I didn’t want to be ill alone. But even if they had not come, I would not have been and that is why I sought this shelter, this hope that it would be a refuge to me during the terrible storm. And it was. The orc voices still came, I could still feel their hands clawing at me, their knives and their whips, but I kept staring at that light. It saved me. It was not anywhere as bad as it was last time. And I heard your voice, dearest Sam, raised in song, just as it was last time. It was as though you were beside me, holding me as you did then. I remember begging you softly not to stop and you didn’t. I heard everything you sang last time and a new one also over and over and it helped me so much. I had to write it down before I forgot it. I believe every word of every one you sang.  You really are still with me, holding me, and I know you always will be.

 “Sleep now and know this, my dear,

I will always be near,

Though we’re Sundered by wide flowing seas.

The water between us is wide,

But whatever betide,

Know that with you I always will be.

“May you find healing and peace

In the land ’cross the seas.

May you know again true joy and rest.

Wait, for I surely will come

To the fair Elvenhome,

I will follow you into the West.

“Know that wherever you are,

We’ll wish on the same star,

’Til my work on this near shore is through.

And when at last I may rest,

I will turn my eyes West,

I will come o’er the Sea, dear, o’er the Sea, to you.”

Oh, thank you, my dearest brother! I shall indeed wait for you. And I am finding peace and rest. All that night, I was enveloped in your love and Iluvatar’s and Bilbo’s and Gandalf’s and it was enough. The morning came and it was so bright.

A/N: That song was, of course, another loving gift of Galadriel’s.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List