Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Love Letters  by Antane

Chapter Twenty-Six: A Merry Birth

Frodo and Merry are back together, dear. My second son was born last night. Mr. Merry and Mr. Pippin were with me, to help watch over Elanor, Frodo-lad and Rosie-lass or so they told me, but I think really more to help me through the nervousness of waiting for the babe to be born. I was that glad to have them there because even though this is the fourth Rose has birthed, I still get anxious. Mrs. Groch is a wonder, but I think this is the last she’ll be delivering of our brood, if indeed, we have any more. Her apprentice attended this one as well and she’ll be the one helping with the next.

The babe is beautiful, of course. You should have seen Mr. Merry’s face lit up like a lad at Yule when I told him that we had decided to name the child after him. He was the first one to hold him after Rose and I did. Mr. Pippin was nearly beside himself with excitement as well. He is so looking forward to having a lad or lass of his own.

“Do you think you could name the next one after me, Sam?” he asked me with those pleading eyes and winsome voice that neither you or Mr. Merry could ever resist, but had had never had an effect on me.

I laughed then because it did have an effect this time or maybe it was just because I was so glad the three of us are happy again. “I’ll see what I can do about that, Mr. Pippin,” I promised and he grinned so widely.

Oh, how I wish you could have been there, my dear! But at least one Frodo and one Merry are together. The children were very excited and anxious to hold their little one too and crowded around the door to the bedroom. I took wee Merry out to them and their faces held such wonder to see someone so small. They can never believe they were that small once themselves. I took the babe out to the parlor and the children sat down on the couch there, knowing if they were very careful and quiet and still, they could hold their new brother. Elanor was first and there was such love already in her eyes. She is going to be a wonderful mother. I’ve known that since the first time she held Frodo-lad when I helped hold him in her arms and she was so tender and gentle. Frodo-lad was next to hold his Merry and watching them I already knew that would be the bond they would have. He had been practically bouncing in his eagerness to hold him, but settled down when the babe was in his arms. He touched one perfect cheek and told him that he loved him and kissed his head and then after hugging him tight for a moment, most reluctantly, gave him to over for Rosie-lass to hold. I helped her hold him as she is but two, but her face glowed as she beheld her brother. She had looking forward to this day for a long time.

Goodnight, dear. Sleep well. I love you.

* * *

Another lad, my Sam! I am so happy for you! I am beginning to recognize their parts in the Song as they come to be and wish I could just shout it out to you that moment. I actually do shout it out here because it fills me with such joy that you are happy again with another one. I go around telling all my friends I am an uncle again and they smile. I run to the dark room and give thanks to Iluvatar, then I wait until the babe has been born and give thanks once more and then I shout out my joy and dance around. My friends gather around and we have a special little ceremony to celebrate each new conception and then birth. You’d think I was the father I was so thrilled, but no, I’m just a very proud uncle!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List