Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Love Letters  by Antane

Chapter Forty: Daisy

I sat in my chair in the parlour and listened to the joyful sound of eight children getting ready for bed. Yes, eight, my dear! We’ve been blessed with another lass! Daisy this one is and I just can’t enough of all the joy and love that abounds in this place that you gave us so generously. All the spare bedrooms are now lovingly filled with shouts of joy, giggles, whispers of adventures and murmurs of sweet dreams. Frodo-lad, Merry and Pippin remain as inseparable as their namesakes and they’ve started to include their little brother in their games too. Rosie-lass has taken Goldi under her wing and all are protected by Elanor who continues to show what a wonderful mother she will be one day, already is in many ways.

I smiled and laughed tonight just to hear all the joyful noise eight children can make. I closed my eyes and let that wash into me and through me and thought of how thankful I am for you and what you did, now so long ago. I know you are happy because I am and I couldn’t be if you weren’t. And I am happy, dear, so very happy and I am so glad you are healed and are now just waiting for me.

Sometimes I feel you are still here, as though you are standing just behind me. I can almost feel your hand on my shoulder, warm and strengthening. I think that if I turn around, I will see you, smiling so lovingly down at me. I never do look though. I don’t think I could bear that even now, not seeing you there, so I just remain happy in my thoughts, knowing you never leave them and I can always be with you there.

Goodnight, dear. Sleep well. I love you so very much.

* * *

Oh, Sam, another lass! What a lovely addition to the Song! I couldn’t restrain myself from shouting out my joy even if it was the middle of the night. I think the Elves have gotten quite used to all my eccentricities and do nothing but smile and rejoice with me. Oh, my Sam, you have so much more living in the Shire to do, I think, but still I can’t wait for you to be here and to tell me all about your wonderful children and my Merry and Pipsqueak and everything else. And yourself! If I could drag that out of you... Thank you for making me an uncle again those months ago when I heard the first strains of the new Song and could have burst right then. I love you so, my dearest brother, I love you so.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List