Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Love Letters  by Antane

Chapter Forty-One: Took and Thain

Mr. Pippin’s become the Took and Thain, dear, and we all went to celebrate that and to mourn the passing of Mr. Paladin. A fine hobbit he was and I know you would sorrow to hear of his passing. Mr. Pippin told me he felt you were there, holding him just as you held Mr. Merry and me. How much a part you remain in our lives, dear, that we couldn’t have even thought of when we said goodbye all those years ago. Must be the Elvish part of you that’s allowing this, but whatever it is, I thank the Powers that you are able to share our joys and sorrows just as though you were here. Mr. Merry and Mr. Pippin’s told me of the times they’ve felt you so close, just as I have, that we only need to turn and you’ll be there, but they tell me, they don’t turn any more than I do, for they couldn’t bear for their eyes to tell them you aren’t there when they know in their hearts you are.

Goodnight, dear. Sleep well. We love you so much.

* * *

Oh, my dear, beloved, ’squeak. I am so sorry to hear of Paladin’s passing and I hope you felt me hold you so tight when your pain reached me. After a bit of a frantic search to assure myself it wasn’t Merry who had passed, I listened further and heard, or I should say, didn’t hear, the strain that was Paladin’s. I didn’t think you could survive Merry’s loss, just as I’m sure I couldn’t survive you two or Sam, but I hope you felt my love try to fill the hole in you now. I love you, my Pipsqueak, or should I say Thain Pipsqueak now? Congratulations, my dearest. I am so proud of you!

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List