Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Love Letters  by Antane

Chapter Forty-Nine: Olorin

Now that I’ve finished the history of Samwise the Stout-Hearted, Meriadoc the Magnificent and Peregrin, Prince of the Halfings, and our dealings with the King who Returned, I thought I would enlighten myself and anyone else who cared to read about the history of the dwarves. I talked only a little to Gimli about this and I regret that we didn’t have more time because I know he was as proud of his family as I was. I’m not sure how well this will be received by my friends here but if I can bridge the gap between those two races like Gimli and Legolas did, I would be very pleased. But if not, at least, I will have the enjoyment of the tales myself and I know you will enjoy them too.

I asked Gandalf if he was aware of their history and of course he is. I am beginning to believe he knows everything there is to know. He is far, far older than we ever suspected, unimaginably older than even the oldest Elf and that’s saying a lot. And he’s far more special too. I had some glimpses of that in the Shire after we returned and more here, especially on that day I formally became a servant of Iluvatar. I’m not entirely sure whohe truly is, but he’s far more than a wizard. He shines almost as brightly as I’ve seen Iluvatar Himself, though nothing is quite as bright as that, and it’s mostly when our dear friend is singing praises to his Creator. He says that is when I shine brightest too. I love him all the more and am humbled and honored that he loves me. We’ve shared many a night with a pipe and his tales which I write down as furiously as I can.

I’m so glad you helped me to learn to write again, my Sam. It’s easier than ever here because I am doing so much of it! That is the best part of coming back to myself, that it gives me such joy to write again. I wrote the book of the Ring of course, but that was more an attempt to exorcize my memories and please Bilbo than any true pleasure I had myself in it. Now with all the writing I’ve done here, especially writing about you and Merry and Pippin and my king, it’s become joyful again and I have you thank for that.

Next I’ll be writing about Aragorn and his line going back to the beginning and believe me, Gandalf knows all about that too! You’ll have a lot of reading to do when you come, dearest!

I just can’t wait!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List