Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Love Letters  by Antane

Chapter Fifty-One:  Lucky Thirteen

I’m sorry I haven’t written much lately, dear. It’s busy around here with twelve active lads and lasses around here and number 13 was born while Rose, Elanor and I stayed in Gondor for the last year! It was wonderful seeing Mr. Strider again and a very good thing we were there because he was there to attend to the birth of our son, Tolman. I had talked to Rose about it and told her he was a healer as well as a king and she agreed, knowing how much I love him and all. He said he would be honored to attend the birth. Imagine that. A king honored to attend the birth of a hobbit! But I am that glad he did. I don’t think the babe would have made it without such a healer there because he was born with the cord around his neck and he was already blue. Strider took him into his arms, holding him as gently as he would his own son and Called him back just like he had you and me after the eagles and got him breathing again. I was never so glad to hear such a weak cry at first, then a full throated bawl! I think I was crying just as much from joy as I had been from fear just moments earlier, Rose and I both were, and even Mr. Strider was. He’s never minded me still calling him that. He just smiles and he’s got a wonderful, loving laugh. And he has his own special light, dear, similar to yours, and I saw it shining the day Tolman was born. I don’t think he had ever seen a newborn hobbit before, let alone hold one. It was a real pleasure to watch him so tenderly hold him. I don’t think he wanted to let go!

So I am pleased to tell you that he and Queen Arwen are doing very well. I know he misses you still as we all do, but he knows just as well I do that you are healed and happy and that makes him happy. And the queen is very happy with the decision she made so you could healed as well. We talked many times while we were there, mostly about you and Mr. Merry and Mr. Pippin. Mr. Strider was very interested to hear everything. Busy as he is, he always made time for me and Rose and my Rose was very impressed, if a bit overwhelmed at first, by him and the queen and all she saw.

She was very good for agreeing to being gone from her home and children for a year, but I think she really enjoyed herself after she got used to everything. I showed her around many places and the king and queen themselves showed us more. We are still a bit of a wonder to the world of Men and many times I was that embarrassed with all the people recognizing me and coming up to thank me. There was no point in trying to explain to them that I had only done what I promised I would. They would hear nothing of it. They all know the Lay of Frodo of the Nine Fingers. Many times I saw Aragorn watching me with a smile and Rose was so proud of me. I saw her smiling even wider and that was enough to make it all worth bearing.

The city has been rebuilt even better than it was and the glory of Men and the Returned King shows everywhere. Those statues Aragorn insisted be made of the four of us are still there in the center of the square for all to see. Turned me bright red to see it, but Rose was that proud of it. And I was very proud to see you there. I stared at that particular statue for the longest time and in the midst of all the hubbub, I walked up to it and kissed your stone hand. I could see from where it’s been rubbed down that many, many other people have had the same idea. I’m glad at least here you are recognized for the hero you are, even if the Shire still cannot see it.

Goodnight, dear. We’ve been back home for almost a week, but this is the first time I’ve had time enough to write anything down. Our king sends his love and I send mine. Sleep well, my hero.

* * *

Oh, Sam! I heard the most terrible thing some time ago, or I should say, didn’t hear something wonderful for a short time. I knew you had been blessed with another lad or lass and I had been enjoying hearing that dear one’s particular melody build and deepen and grow, but then it faltered and my own heart almost stopped in fear of what that meant. I must have turned quite pale because one of my friend’s asked if I was all right and all I could murmur was your name. I tried so hard to stay with you, to try to help you and be with you. I felt Aragorn too and then I heard the song strengthening again and I think only then I was able to breathe again. I almost felt you and I took the same breath at the same time. Then I smiled up at my friend who was looking at me most concerned and told him everything was all right and that another nephew of mine had been born and we had to celebrate. That I did most heartily! But first I went to the dark room and thanked Iluvatar most fervently for the gift of knowing you and your new lad were all right and to have felt the presence of my king again.

Goodnight, my Sam. Hold your new dear one tight and love him for me as I know you have loved all your children. I sent a kiss into the wind tonight just for him. Perhaps it will reach him somehow. I love you, my brother.






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List