Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Love Letters  by Antane

Chapter Fifty-Three: The Waiting Garden

Your garden continues to thrive, dearest Sam. The soil is especially rich here, even better than Rivendell or Lothlorien. Anything and everything will grow abundantly here, except, happily, weeds. I’ve been expanding it over time and now it encircles the whole smial, but for a small, white stone walk and stoop that it is itself flanked with flowers. I can’t wait for you to see it! It seems sometimes it’s waiting for you too. I’ve spoken so often to all the flowers and plants as I’ve watered them and pruned them and planted new ones and it’s been mostly about you. Oh, my Sam, if I had a flower for every time I thought of you, I’d walk forever in the garden. I am quite proud of it and I’m fairly certain that you will like it as well. Gandalf and my friends come by often to admire it and as much as I am pleased with their compliments, it is yours that will mean the most so I’ve been working very hard to make it the best I possibly can and I know you will make it even better.

I’ve planted an immense variety of all sorts and I am nearly beside myself with excitement in my anticipation of showing it all to you and impressing you with all my acquired knowledge. How well I know now that all this hard work is worth it and that it gives you a peace and contentment nothing else can match. I love all that is growing here, but my favorites are still the elanor and morning glory’s that I have planted in abundance outside my bedroom and yours and the kitchen. That way they are always the first and last things I see and I feel asleep quite content that I am surrounded by a bit of the Shire and the Elven lands of Middle-earth that you and I both love.

I spend much of my time here, reading and writing. I think I spend more time here than in the library! I am still working on my other gifts that I am determined to have ready for you when you come and I do now most of my work here on a bench surrounded by all those plants and flowers. Sometimes I close my eyes and just feel the wind across my cheeks and pretend I’m back at Bag End and you are nearby. It’s not hard to imagine. I know you are. I can’t hear you or see you with anything other than my heart, but you are there and I just need to reach inside myself to know.

The weather is the most delightful there can be, long, long summer afternoons that can be wiled away in the garden, in the woods, doing everything or doing nothing which here still means doing something, even if it’s only laying in the sun thinking. I’m not sure that makes sense, but I think you’ll understand when you come here. There’s an energy, a Life here that just embraces you and fills you. I can’t describe it in words but to say Iluvatar’s Presence is very much a part of this land. You’ll have to feel it for yourself and I can’t wait until you do. I can’t until I can come out to this garden and give you a glass of lemon water like I used to do when you were making Bag End so beautiful or until I can come into your bedroom and watch you sleep or have you share a cup or tea or a pipe or a second breakfast with me. Oh, my heart, there’s so much I can’t wait to do with you again! I love you.  I can't wait to tell you that again either!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List