Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Love Letters  by Antane

Chapter Fifty-Five: The Gaffer

I’m a gaffer, my dear! I can’t believe it. I was mourning on that mountain so long ago that I would never be able to marry Rose and now Elanor is a mum herself and I have a grandson! Oh, but he’s beautiful. His name is Elfstan. I thought my heart would burst when I held him. I’ve been filled with joy to hold each of my children, but it’s a different feeling to hold a grandchild. And again I thought of you, to thank you. This is now the second generation that you have saved, who have peace because of you. I can never thank you enough for that, dear, but when I came to you, I am going to spend each day doing that, taking care of you to thank you for taking care of us.

Goodnight, dear. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Sleep well. I love you so much.

 * * *

I felt something tremendously wondrous today, Sam. What are all these surprises that you keep showering me with? I felt the first stirrings of a new song some time ago, but didn’t really understand it until now. It didn’t feel exactly like one of your own lads or lasses and it didn’t feel exactly like when I felt Pippin’s or Merry’s lads. But I wonder. Oh, my dearest, most beautiful Sam, are you a gaffer now?! How wonderful, how very, very wonderful! And I’m a great-uncle! I’m so thrilled for you. I can’t believe it. Has it really been that long since I last saw you with something other than the eyes of my heart? I can see there just as clearly as I ever did. Time does not erase memories here, they are preserved forever and I can call you to mind, eyes so full of cheer and love that I swear if I only reach out, I could touch you for real. Today, I danced the longest and most joyous I have yet here around my favorite tree, sang the longest and loudest and happiest praises to Iluvatar and in the Hall of Fire. You are so well known here that I think you have as many friends here as I do and you haven’t even come yet! I love you, my brother. Thank you for filling me with so much joy!

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List