Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Love Letters  by Antane

Chapter Fifty-Seven:  Moving Away

I’m a little sad today, dear. Elanor and Fastred have moved to Undertowers on the Tower Hills. My first lass to leave home. She left Bag End, of course, when she and Fastred married, but she was still close by and now she’s going to be further away. But perhaps that will make it easier to leave when the time comes. She’s closer to you and I will stop to see her on the way. And maybe some of the other children will be moving out before I do to live out their own lives as I will mine. They’ve understood how much I still love you and miss you and I know they will support me when it’s time to leave.

Elanor has a splendid smial that’s big enough for the large family I’m sure she and Fastred will have. Elfstan is just the most beautiful child there is. I know I’ve said that about all my children, but this one combines Rose’s and Elanor’s beauty and Fastred’s together. I dare say that not only does his name sound Elvish, he almost looks it. Rose and I are going to be visiting often, but I know there’s going to be a lot I’ll still be missing about his growing up. Elanor is a wonderful mother and blossoming under that title and being a wife just as Rose did.

Frodo-lad has begun to actively court that particular lass he’s had his eye on and she is quite willingly returning his affections. I know it won’t be long that we will be having another wedding. I can hardly believe it. I know I will be leaving Bag End in very good hands when I do leave. There won’t be ever another Baggins living here, but there will be another Frodo and I’m glad of that.

I’m so lucky, so incredibly blessed to be surrounded by such beautiful gifts! It will be hard to leave them all, but I know I will. I still can’t wait to see you again and I am glad that life will continue here just as happily for Elanor and Elfstan as it did for you and me. Thank you, dear. I can never thank you enough for that, but I will never stop trying to anyway.

Goodnight and sleep well. I love you so much and I am so grateful for you and all you’ve done to bring me such deep joy.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List