Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Love Letters  by Antane

Chapter Sixty: A Visit From a Friend

I thought I saw you two days ago, dear. It must have been the fever that had me laid low, but I opened my eyes and there you were before me, plain as day, smiling down on me with so much love, I began to cry. You looked so beautiful, so happy, so at peace. I wanted to call out to you, but I didn’t move, I scarcely even breathed, so scared I was to disturb the lovely dream of seeing you again. You gripped my hand and held it gently and I swear I felt that. I can still remember feeling it and how wonderful it was when you leaned down to kiss my brow. I know I heard your soft voice, too. “Hold on, my Sam,” you said against my ear. “I am waiting for you.” Then you were gone, but I know you were there. Something Elvish in your blood, my dearest. I always thought so. My fever broke yesterday. I know it was because you came. Everyone thought I was dying, and maybe I was, surely I had never felt worse, but you watched out for me, for all of us. Somehow you did.

I’m so frightfully weak, but Rose has been wonderful and the children. I’ve been well entertained by their stories and playacting when I haven’t been so exhausted by this fever that I can’t keep my eyes open. My Rose has had little sleep the last few days and I am glad she is finally able to get some now. She has exhausted herself keeping vigil.

Goodnight, dear. Sleep well. I will! I love you.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List