Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Love Letters  by Antane

Chapter Sixty-Two: One Hundred Candles

We had a huge birthday party and cake for you today, dear, to celebrate your birthday. 100! The last several times we’ve had the celebration at the Party Field and sang to you and then as dusk was falling, we all blew out the candles and had a feast. The whole rest of the Shire thinks we are cracked, but we don’t care. We watched the stars come out and many a pipe was had and joyous celebration was all around. It’s hard for all of us to get to the Havens each year, but at the very least Mr. Merry and Mr. Pippin and I do it, if not right on your birthday, then on the day we said goodbye. Sometimes it’s a solemn day for us, sometimes more joyful. I don’t know how more times we’ll be coming here until I come here for the last time. I would imagine your cousins would continue to come until they too leave the Shire as I wonder if they will one day. They are more anxious and restless these days, even with their advancing age and I wouldn’t be surprised one day if they did leave, to go to Rohan or Gondor or both. I don’t think they will though until I do. We haven’t spoken of it, but there’s some sort of understanding I feel between the three of us that we should remain together, to help each other celebrate your days and times now long past.

I love my life here - you and Rose have given me so many blessings that I am overwhelmed by them all - but I am beginning to feel as you must have, that home is somewhere else beyond the Shire. I don’t know how much longer it will be and I don’t want to rush it. I don’t want to lose Rose, the last thing that will keep me here, but the day is coming and I am treasuring my time here all the more.

Goodnight, dear. Mr. Merry and Mr. Pippin also kissed these pages and you goodnight. They miss you so even now, but they know you are still with them, sharing in their joys and sorrows just as you are sharing mine. Sleep well in our arms tonight. We love you.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List