Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Love Letters  by Antane

Chapter Sixty-Three: The Eleventy First

Mr. Pippin insisted we have the biggest party ever for you today, dear, just like Mr. Bilbo’s had been for his eleventy-first. This one we held in the Party Field. It was small, well, small for Shire parties, just our three families and that’s already a handful and we wanted no one else anyway. We wanted to be here this year, more than any other year, in the land that gave you birth and it was more special for that reason. We had feasting and fireworks and music and dancing and smoking that lasted until the stars began to fade. Of course, there is still talk about how cracked we all are to still be celebrating your day, but we know you are still with us. Those you loved the most and love you the most are still here and that’s all that’s important. The king sent gifts that he asked I give you when I see you next. You will love them. I think he knows too that it won’t be long.

Rose remains as healthy as ever, lovely and bright, but I hold her especially tight now and treasure her all the more deeply, because I feel our time is slipping away. Nearly sixty years she has been the joy of my life, the heartbeat I fall asleep to and wake up to. Thirteen children and now the grandchildren are the lights and joys as well for both of us. I have been blessed beyond measure and my life has been full. But it’s not over yet. There’s more to come. I dream of it often now.

I think Mr. Merry and Mr. Pippin feel it too, that the time is coming close, because they are around Hobbiton more often. We don’t talk about it, but when I leave it will be another member of the Fellowship that will be gone and I think they will be leaving at some point too. Mr. Strider has kept his word that no Men, including himself, enter the Shire. I wish I could see him again, but I don’t want to leave Rose. Your cousins will go to Rohan and Gondor that they have visited often enough in the past. They will go together and the last of those hobbits who fought in the War of the Ring will leave the Shire. But the tales will go on. I know already that I will be giving Elanor the Red Book and there are other copies that will be kept also. Somehow I think it’s important that some part of us remains here, that the story is still told and is never forgotten.

Goodnight, dear. Sleep well. I love you and I will see you soon.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List