Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Peregrin and Diamond  by Pearl Took

A/N I will be on vacation this coming week and busy part of the week after. I will not be able to post another chapter until June ninth or tenth at the earliest. I hope you will all stay with me as there are chapters ready to be posted and wanting to be read ;) Thank you to all of you who read and all who respond :)


12 Up a Tree


Little Elanor Gamgee was up early. She played with her dolls for awhile, fixing them all a good breakfast, then decided to see if any of the grown-ups were awake. She tip-toed into her parents’ room, but they were sound asleep. Her Daddy was snoring and did not respond at all when she poked him on his cheek a few times. She went and nudged her Mum, but she just squirmed a little and kept sleeping. Elanor was surprised by this as her Mum was usually awake before she was. She decided her Mum looked so pretty sleeping that she would leave her alone and went to try Uncle Pippin.

Uncle Pippin was always fun to wake up. He would pretend he was asleep letting her nudge him, pull on his hair and jump on him until he would suddenly grab her and tickle her till she could hardly breathe. Then he would hug and kiss her and give her a ride on his shoulders into the kitchen for breakfast. But Uncle Pippin's room was empty. Elanor looked in the wardrobe and under the bed but she couldn't find her Uncle Pippin anywhere.

He hadn't said goodbye to her the night before, so he couldn't have left. Uncle Pippin was always very good about saying goodbye to her, always giving her curls a tug and her forehead a kiss. Maybe he had gone to wake up that nice Diamond lady. Elanor had noticed that Uncle Pippin smiled a lot at Diamond when she wasn't looking, and that Diamond smiled at him when he wasn't looking. Elanor thought it strange they did this but decided it must be something grown-ups do. Elanor liked to smile at people when they were looking at her so she could see if they smiled back.

She went to the room she knew was Diamond's room while Diamond was visiting. The door was not shut tight so she didn't knock before she went in. Next to the bed in the big overstuffed chair were Uncle Pippin and Diamond all wrapped up in quilts. She went up to them and looked closely at their faces. Yes, they were asleep, but why had they fallen asleep in the chair? Elanor looked at Diamond's lap and then on the floor around the chair but there wasn't a book to be seen. Elanor knew her Uncle Pippin and Frodo-lad or Rose often fell asleep in a chair when he read to them, well, and with her sometimes too, but there was no book. If Uncle Pippin wasn't reading to Diamond, what was she doing on his lap? Maybe he had been telling her his own stories from his travels with Daddy, Uncle Merry and Uncle Frodo.

Then Elanor frowned, maybe Diamond was still sick and he had been holding her to help her feel better. Her Mum and Daddy held her and her brother and sister and Baby Merry on their laps when any of them were not feeling well. Diamond had been sick yesterday and Mum hadn't let Elanor go into Diamond's room. But if Diamond was still sick, Elanor thought, maybe she ought to tell her Mum about it so she could make Diamond a tonic or some special tea. Elanor reached out and softly touched Diamond's face, "Don't worry Diamond," she whispered, "my Mum will make you all better." and then Elanor headed back to her parent's room.

Sam and Rosie, in their night clothes and robes, looked around the door of Diamond's room, grinned at each other, then went in. They had gotten an interesting report from a worried Elanor and had come to see things for themselves.

"It looks like they've talked out their troubles." Rosie said, smiling down at Pippin and Diamond, snuggled together in the chair.

"Think we should wake them or let them sleep?" Sam asked as he gave his wife a squeeze around her waist.

"You will let them sleep, if you value your lives." The supposedly sleeping Pippin said without opening his eyes, causing Rosie and Sam to startle. "Although a knock on the door when breakfast is ready would be greatly appreciated." Pippin added, opening one eye and grinning at the Gamgees.

“Did someone say breakfast is being served in here this morning?” Merry appeared behind the Gamgees, scratching his head and blinking his eyes awake.

Rosie bent down and gave Pippin a light kiss on the forehead. "Glad to hear you say that. I'll fix a grand big breakfast now that Pippin Took has his appetite back. We'll send Elanor to fetch you when it's ready. She'll be right relieved to hear that Diamond isn't ill."

"Why would she have thought that?" Pippin opened his other eye and looked a bit concerned.

"Elanor woke up early and was searchin' for a grown up who was awake this mornin'. She and came in to wake her Mum because she thought that Diamond must be still sick as she was sleepin' sittin' on your lap." Sam explained with a grin while Pippin blushed.

Merry looked confused. “Why is she on his lap?”

"You just tell that dear little one of yours that everything is fine." Diamond murmured as she nuzzled Pippin's neck with her nose. "Tell her that her Uncle Peregrin was afraid of the dark and, as he is too big to sit on my lap to be comforted, I had to sit on his."

Everyone laughed and Pippin hugged Diamond tightly. Diamond gave him a little kiss on his cheek then sat up. "I'll come help with breakfast Rosie." She said as she wiggled off Pippin's lap. "I'm feeling much better and I want to be of some help for a change. I'll just get my robe and come with you." Rosie and Diamond left, each with an arm around the other and giggling.

Pippin used his arms to push himself up a bit straighter in the chair, groaning a little as he did so. "I'm not so sure I will make it to breakfast." He said in a slightly whiney voice.

“Good!” Merry said cheerily. “More for me. I’m off to get presentable.” He turned as though to leave but hesitated. “Oh, and Pippin,” he looked back at his cousin, “I expect the full explanation of this from you before I leave this morning.”

“Yes, Father.” Pip answered mockingly. Merry grinned then headed for his own room.

"And why won’t you be at breakfast, Peregrin Took, if my Rosie is goin' to extra effort just to fill your empty belly with the best breakfast in the Shire?" Sam's face and voice were stern.

"Because, my dearest Samwise Gamgee, I have no feeling in my legs. How long have you ever sat with a full grown lass on your lap?"

The morning passed pleasantly at Bag End. Merry left after second breakfast. He was needed at the Hall to help with compiling the year-end records now that most of the harvest was over. He had a good talk with Pippin and although he felt a bit hurt that someome else had helped his young cousin with his nightmare, he reminded himself as he had before, that someday they would both have wives. Merry had been working at readying his mind to accept that he would not always be the one to help Pip. Diamond moved up higher in Merry’s estimation because she had not fled from Pippin in terror; she had weathered the storm.

Diamond and Pippin played with the children while Sam and Rosie took some time together to do the marketing and have elevenses in Hobbiton. Rosie and Diamond prepared a wonderful luncheon and afterwards Pippin asked Diamond if she would like to go for a walk. They walked around Bag End's garden and then down the lane that led along The Hill to New Row. From there they started walking in the Party Field, eventually ending up standing under the mallorn tree.

"Have you ever climbed a tree, Diamond?" Pippin asked as he laid his hand to the trunk of the sturdy tree and looked up into the branches.

Diamond eyed Pippin with suspicion. "Yes," She said slowly, "when I was a little lass playing with Isengrim and his friends." Her eyes narrowed. "You are not suggesting we climb this tree, are you?"

"Oh now Diamond, you're a Took . . . well a North-took, but that's the same thing just North Farthing instead of West Farthing . You can't tell me you're going to say no to a bit of fun?" Pippin's green eyes sparkled with child-like anticipation. "Mellyrn are easy trees to climb. Good sturdy branches fairly close together that go outwards for a ways before turning upward. I climbed them in Lorien. I've climbed this one too."

Diamond looked into his twinkling eyes. They looked even greener than usual, bright and alive. She fell under the spell of them, as had his parents, sisters, aunts and uncles, Merry, Frodo and Sam before her. How could anyone possibly say no to such a look of innocent joy.

"It does sound rather fun. But if you help me up then you'd be below me, Peregrin Took, and I shan't have you looking up my skirts as Isengrim's friends used to do. Climbing trees is all well and good for you lads in your breeches!" Diamond said trying hard to look stern.

Pippin laughed heartily. "If I set you on my shoulder, my good lass in her skirts, and lift you a bit from there you can reach the lowest branch and pull yourself up. I can promise to keep my eyes closed or you can use my handkerchief and blindfold me if you wish. I can pull myself up after you are seated and I'll lead from there."

"I'll not blindfold you if you swear on your honor as a Knight of Gondor that you won't peek." She was trying very hard to not giggle.

Pippin drew himself up to his full height and saluted Diamond in the manner of Gondor, bowing his head and crossing his hands over his chest. Then he raised his head and with the most serious of looks on his face and in his most formal manner of speech said, "I, Peregrin son of Paladin of the Tooks of Great Smials of the West Farthing of the Shire, swear on my honor as a Knight of Gondor to do no thing that will bring to you, Diamond of Long Cleeve, embarrassment or disgrace. I swear also that I will allow no harm to come to you while you attempt this endeavor. Do you accept my oath, Diamond of Long Cleeve?"

Diamond had not expected such a formal pronouncement and felt sorry that she had made him swear so seriously over such a minor thing. "I accept your oath, Peregrin son of Paladin." She said quietly.

Pippin's impish look immediately returned to his eyes as he reached down, grabbed Diamond about the knees and then stood with her now seated on his shoulder. Diamond let out a little shriek of surprise and then giggled. He then held one of her feet in each hand and told her to stand up. She steadied herself against the trunk of the tree and stood on his hands. From there it was easy to get herself seated on the lowest branch of the tree. Pippin then jumped and grabbed the branch she sat on and swung himself up to sit beside her.

"Ready to follow me?" He asked all smiles and dancing eyes.

"Yes!" She laughed.

They slowly made their way up the tree until they were nearly half way to the top and Pippin noticed that Diamond was beginning to look nervous.

"We'll stop here." He said. "Watch how your skirts are and cross a leg across the branch so you can sit with your back to the trunk and you'll be quite safe Diamond." He lent her a hand as she settled herself against the smooth trunk of the tree, then he sat astride the branch in front of her, out further from the trunk.

"Look out through the leaves Diamond." Pippin said in a hushed voice. "Look at our beautiful Shire." She looked out at the town of Hobbiton, at The Water as it ran through the rolling hills with their patchwork of greens and browns all lying peacefully beneath the pale sun of late autumn. It was beautiful indeed. Pippin, however, was not looking at the landscape but at Diamond, at her fair skin, chestnut hair and shining brown eyes. He watched as her head slowly turned and she took in all of the beauty that was laid out as far as the eye could see.

"I have something I need to say to you." Pippin said softly and Diamond quit gazing at the scenery and looked into his eyes. "I had wanted to speak to you at the Festival Ball but," he looked away, "well . . . Then you were asleep. Then I was afraid you might be angry with me. But I do not think you are angry with me anymore, and so I . . . well, I . . . I thought I could talk to you now."

She smiled and gently touched his face. "You brought me up a tree to talk to me?"

He bowed his head and nodded. He took a deep breath and let it out slowly, then raised his head to return her steady gaze.

"I wanted some place private and, well, memorable."

Diamond's smile widened. "This certainly meets both of those requirements." She said, her smile brightening her words.

"Yes, well . . . it does, yes." Pippin was blushing now. "I haven't been sure of some things. I thought of talking to you back in the North Farthing, but I wasn't sure I should. Even though I thought the Ball would be a good time to talk to you I still really wasn't sure. But now," he looked deeply into her eyes, "after last night I have no doubts or fears. I had to speak with you today."

"Is it urgent, Peregrin?" Diamond was getting concerned.

"Um, it sort of is. It . . ." his expression changed suddenly, "Why do you always call me Peregrin? No one else does, not even my parents."

Diamonds eyes went wide with surprise. "This is what was so important?"

"No! No it isn't, but I just now thought about it. You never have called me Pippin."

"I like Peregrin." Diamond said and smiled. "Everyone else seemed to think of you as, well, as a bit foolish and immature. I just saw something else in your eyes whenever you came to ask me to dance. There was a seriousness in your eyes that I guess they didn't see. I felt 'Peregrin' fit that lad I saw better than 'Pippin' did. I did not want to forget what I saw in you, so I decided I would call you Peregrin." Her brows drew together in concern. "You don't mind do you?"

"No, now that I know why. I am honored that you saw something better in me." His expression grew serious again. "Do you still see that Peregrin in me?"

"Yes."

"Do you see Pippin the somewhat foolish immature Took as well?"

She laughed lightly. "Yes, especially as we are sitting up a tree."

He smiled but he was still serious. "Would you marry both of me?"

Diamond's eyes went wide and Pippin quickly took hold of her as she looked as though she might fall. She said nothing for what to him seemed like hours.

"Diamond?" His voice and hands were shaking.

She shook her head a bit as though coming back to herself after letting her thoughts go elsewhere. What she had heard was beyond any dream she ever dreamed. "Yes!" She said joyfully. "Yes to both of you!"

Pippin placed his hands on the tree trunk on either side of Diamond, so she wouldn't fall, then leaned forward and kissed her long and passionately. A kiss she wholeheartedly returned while hugging him around his waist. When he finally pulled away, he reached into a pocket on the inside of his jacket. He pulled out a small velvet pouch with a drawstring.

"This is for you."

She took the pouch from him and looked at it for a few seconds before working it open. Inside was a beautiful necklace of silver. An intricate open vine-like design held a single sparkling clear diamond in it's center, the chain was finer than any she had ever seen. Pippin reached over and took the clasp in his fingers and opened it. His hands trembled as he placed the necklace around her neck and fastened the clasp. The afternoon light through the mallorn leaves caught the setting and the diamond and set them both aflame.

"It's Elven." Pippin said reverently as he touched the necklace gently with his finger tips. "It's been in the hoard of the Thains for no one knows how long. I remembered it from when my sisters and I would sneak into the deepest storerooms in Great Smials." His eyes had the look of distant memories in them. "We called them the Treasure Caves." He laughed at the childhood name. "This always drew my eye. It was never dull and black like the other silver pieces. I know now that it's mithril, true silver it's sometimes called because it never tarnishes." Pippin's eyes moved from the necklace to Diamond's eyes. "It is rare and priceless . . . like you."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List