Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Peregrin and Diamond  by Pearl Took

13 Rearing Its Ugly Head

Getting down out of the tree was harder for Diamond than climbing up had been. It was hard to see to find her footing with her skirts in the way, but Pippin was patient and did not hurry her. When they got to the bottom branch he had her sit down on it. He then jumped down so that he could have her step onto his hands, set her on his shoulder and then lower her to the ground.

They walked hand in hand back up the lane to Bag End, pausing for a kiss before going in the round front door. Sam and Rosie and the children were in the kitchen just about to begin eating dinner when Diamond and Pippin swept into the room still holding hands and smiling broadly. Rosie immediately noticed the beautiful necklace that shone on Diamond's neck.

"We climbed the mallorn tree in the Party Field!" Pippin stated.

"Yes! We went ever so close to the top, I felt so giddy!" Diamond added giggling.

Even Sam could tell that this was not enough of an event to warrant the couple's ruddy complexions, sparkling eyes and tightly clasped hands. He turned to Rosie and winked.

"I'll wager that isn't all that happened to make her giddy."

"They're getting married! Aren't you Uncle Pippin!"

The adults turned open mouthed to stare at the excited six year old Elanor, and then they all began laughing and hugging each other.

"You didn't," Sam held Pippin at arms length so he could look the young Took in the eye, "tell me you didn't really make this lass climb that tree!" Pippin's eyes gleamed with mischief. "Why did I bother with askin' ya." Sam shook his head.

"I had my reasons." Pippin said happily. "I wanted it to memorable. And. . ."

"As though any lass forgets how and where she was asked for her hand in marriage." Rosie interrupted and she gave Diamond another hug.

"And," Pippin continued, "I had been thinking atop the Tower of Ecthelion in Minas Tirith, but that is a long journey and I didn't wish to wait that long. Secondly . . ."

"Still too high off the ground for a normal hobbit." Sam said sighing and rolling his eyes.

"And, if I will not be interrupted further," Pippin narrowed his eyes and glared at Sam, but then laughed, "secondly, I wanted to do something so that Merry would have trouble finding anything grander when he gets around to finding a lass and asking for her hand."

"You've taken care of that and that's for sure! Merry won't even begin to try to out-do a thing such as becomin' betrothed whilst up a tree.!" Sam shook his head over it all while Pippin looked proud of himself.

"I want to get betrowed up a tree, Daddy!" Elanor said loudly and her Papa pulled the child to himself and covered her mouth while everyone else laughed.

"Well, my good cooking is getting cold." Rosie said a bit too loudly and pulled Diamond down into the chair beside hers. "Pippin, you just sit down there next to Sam and we'll eat and drink to your happiness."

When bedtime came for the Gamgee brood, Elanor begged that Diamond and Rosie put her to bed so Mum could tell her how she got betrowed and Diamond could tell her all about getting betrowed in trees. Sam did not look at all pleased with the last part but the lasses just giggled at him as they went off towards the children's rooms.

Pippin had become rather quiet as the evening had progressed and he now suggested that he and Sam repair to Sam's study for a mug of ale and a pipe. Sam headed off to the cellar to draw the ale. Joining Pippin in the study, he shut the door, placed the mugs on the small round table between the two easy chairs, and sat down opposite Pippin. Sam watched Pippin as they filled their pipes. He noticed the younger hobbit's hands were shaking and that he spilled a bit of the Longbottom Leaf down his weskit and onto his lap.

"Well, Pippin, Diamond's a right fine lass and I'm happy to see you gettin' yourself settled." Sam said, still watching Pippin carefully.

"Thank you Sam." Pippin finally had his pipe filled and lit but now could not seem to get comfortable in his chair. He squirmed and crossed and re-crossed his legs. He finally sighed and turned a pair of green, round, worried eyes to Sam. "I fear I've put the harvest before the planting again, my friend. I realized as we've sat about and talked this evening that there are things I should have said, should have talked about, should have . . . should have asked her about before I even considered asking for her hand." Pippin shifted again in the large chair. "What do I do now, Sam? Do I speak of and ask about these things now? What if she changes her mind after the betrothal is announced?"

Sam felt deep sympathy for the owner of those wide, anxious eyes. "What do you have to say that could be that awful, Pippin?"

Pippin hung his head and fingered his pipe. He took a few moments to gather himself.

"Some things are minor I suppose. Small requests regarding the wedding, although I know that's usually all the bride's choosing, and where we shall live afterwards. Small things. But two things worry me greatly Sam."

"Which worries you the least of the two, Pippin? Start there." Sam's voice was calm and reassuring"

"Merry." Pippin sighed. "What if she doesn't understand about Merry."

Sam raised an eyebrow. "What about Mr. Merry?" He asked slipping back into his old use of formal address.

"Will she understand that he is more like a brother to me than just a cousin? Will she understand that there will be times I just have to be with Merry? That there are going to be things that I have to share with him not with her?" Pippin leaned forward in his anxiousness.

Sam grinned at Pippin, though his eyes had a sadness to them. He knew the lad was talking about his darker times, the times when memories off the horrors of the Quest would threaten to overwhelm the normally unquenchably cheery hobbit. But he knew he had words of encouragement to offer. "I can't for one moment think why she would mind that, Pippin. If she doubts your love for her to the point that she can't share you with someone you love as deeply as Merry, well . . . she might just as well be jealous of your Mum and Dad and sisters. That's just not what I see in her, her heart's surely bigger than that. So that is no trouble, now, what else is worryin' you?"

"The other cuts deeper, dear Sam." Pippin set his now cold pipe aside, put his hands to his face then raked his fingers through his hair. He stared past Sam into the fire in the fireplace. "I had not a steadfast love for one lass as you did, Sam. You never sought any girl but your Rosie. But I . . . Pippin drew a deep breath and let it out slowly. "I seriously courted two others . . . I . . ." Pippin stopped again.

"You needn't say more, we've talked about this before." Sam reached over and placed his hand on Pippin's knee until Pippin brought his eyes from the fire to meet Sam's own."You want to know if I think you should tell Diamond about Iris and Pansy." Pippin nodded without withdrawing his gaze. Sam sat back in his chair and drew deeply on his pipe. He could feel Frodo’s presence with them in Bag End’s study. He wasn’t one to give into fancy, but he could nearly feel his master’s hand upon his shoulder and hear him saying, “I’m with you Sam, we’ll help him through this.” Once again Sam was drawing strength from Frodo’s calm wisdom.

"Now you know why gettin' further along than what’s proper while only courting is not a wise thing to do, Pippin. Though, 'tis a matter in which you're not the only lad, or lass, who's been a fool. And I know there's some as go further than you and those lasses did." Sam said slowly and softly and Pippin's gaze went to the floor. "I know 'tis a bit different with those of you from wealth and position. With your lot, it seems to end up a game. Lads chasin' after lasses for who their fathers are and what they own. Lasses flirting with lads to get fine homes and fine clothes. Both endin' up treatin' love too lightly." Sam looked carefully at Pippin. "Did you truly think you loved those other girls?"

Pippin nodded and then spoke without raising his eyes. "I thought I did. I thought they loved me."

"And each time you'd meant to wed the girl?"

Pippin nodded.

"Diamond's different though." It was a statement from Sam, not a question.

Pippin's head came up quickly and he fixed Sam with a firm look. "I wanted to find someone who would love me like your Rosie loves you and someone I could be as devoted to as you are to Rosie. I have found her, Sam. I love her so that I would die for her, and die without her."

Sam closed his eyes and leaned his head back. He thought carefully before he spoke. "She may already know. You said she spent her time sittin' with the matrons at all the gatherin's, festivals and such, and they gossip a goodly bit, especially about their own daughters." Sam thought some more. Then he opened his eyes to look squarely at his good friend. "You need to tell her, Pippin, or it will hang like a dark cloud over the rest of your life with her. Tell her tonight before anyone knows about the betrothal 'cept Rosie and me."

Tears started filling Pippin's eyes but he looked steadily at Sam. "As soon as she's done helping Rosie with the children, Sam, have her come here please." Pippin said quietly but with firmness in his voice.

Sam stood, picked up the untouched mugs of ale and walked toward the study door. "I'll tell her." He said. He turned and nodded to Pippin then left the room.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List