Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Randomness  by Elanor Silmariën

A/N: A glimpse at Aragorn/Estel's life as a young child. I usually write hobbit stories, but this interested me, so please, bear with me!

*Story Time in Rivendell*

It was dark and cold outside, but five year old Estel didn't mind, so long as the fire was going in his room and Lord Elrond was there to tuck him in and tell him a story. But tonight the Elf was late, and Estel began to get impatient as he sat on his bed, already in his nightshirt. He was waiting to tell Elrond that he's ridden a horse all by himself that afternoon, and he wanted to hear a story about a prince and his horse. As minutes ticked by Estel became restless and began kicking his feet out in front of him.

Then the curtain that was his door was pulled back and Lord Elrond smiled on his young charge. "I see you're getting impatient, Estel," Elrond said looking stern. The child instantly stopped fidgiting.

"Ada, I rode a horse all by myself today!" he said, beaming up at the Elf happily.

"Very good, child! Are you going to ride again tomorrow?" Elrond asked, lifting the child into his arms.

"Yes, Ada. Elrohir promised he'd take me again," Estel said.

"Shall I tell you a story now?"

Estel smiled. "Tell me a story about a prince and his horse," he said.

"What kind of prince?" Elrond asked, sitting down on the bed with Estel on his lap.

"A brave prince," Estel stated. "Who fights evil dragons and trolls!"

"There was once a young prince and his horse, and they were very brave..." Elrond began.

Sometimes when Elrond told the boy stories, Estel would fall asleep with his head on the Elf's shoulder, but most often he was too interested to be sleepy until the story was over. And Lord Elrond didn't mind. Spending time with this child was refreshing after discussing and debating the fate of the world.

That night Estel did fall asleep and Elrond carefully tucked him into bed, trying not to wake him. He stood in the doorframe, remembering back nearly two and a half thousand years to when his own sons were as young as Estel. They had loved the same kinds of stories at five, that Elrond was now teling Estel.

"He will grow up to do great things," Elrond said to himself. "Yes, great things." He smiled at the sleeping child, then turned and left.

The End





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List