Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Randomness  by Elanor Silmariën

*Looking Ahead-Sam's thoughts at the Grey Havens*

She said she'd been expecting me since spring. With that statement I knew I'd won Rosie's undying love. I know Mr. Frodo knew we'd shortly be married as he saw the look in her eyes when he told my Gaffer of my fame in Gondor.

My Rosie loved me. And Mr. Frodo was right. I finally got up enough courage to propose to her, and she squealed in delight and then kissed me, right in front of her Da and Mum, and Mr. Frodo. We were wed that spring, under the mallorn-tree from Lorien. And somehow it was as if the Lady Galadriel and Lord Celeborn were there, giving their blessing on our marriage.

As soon as we were married, we moved into Bag End with Mr. Frodo, though he let us have it to ourselves for the first two weeks for our honeymoon, as he went to Crickhollow to visit Mr. Merry and Mr. Pippin.

I have told my children this story many times before, but now, as I stand at the stern of the giant Elvish boat, crossing away from Middle-earth, the emotions of it come back to me.

My love is now dead, but I do not weep, I do not grieve. I smile and am happy for her. She lived a wonderful, full life, and I shall be reunited with her soon.

The last thing she said to me was, "Look ahead, my Sam. I'll be waiting for you when it is time for you and Mr. Frodo to come."

She has always understood how Frodo and I needed each other, as I now understand how Rosie and I needed each other once Frodo was gone.

I sigh and move away from the railing. "Look ahead," she said, and I intend to do just that.

As I step up to the bow of the ship, I see the far away island, and smile to myself. This would not be hard. My Rosie, and my Frodo are both waiting ahead for me.

The End





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List