Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Healer of Hearts  by Frodo Baggins

Eerie silence.

It was heavy and oppressive; it weighed upon the heart of Halmir. Screams and cries of torturous pain would have been more reassuring than this silence. It was as if everything held its breath in anticipation of...of what? Halmir didn't know and preferred not to guess.

He glanced at Frodo. Frodo had not uttered a sound since Merry had plumeted to the ground. Frodo stood, his blue eyes wide and horror filled, his mouth open as if to scream. Halmir shuddered and decided that Frodo's silence was as bad as the silence that followed Merry's fall. Frodo was dazed, staring unblinking and scarcely breathing. Worry crept over Halmir. He crept over to Frodo and laid a tentative hand on the small shoulder.

Halmir's touch seemed to jerk Frodo back to reality. For he blinked hard and then looked at Halmir with wide, frightened eyes. And suddenly without warning, Frodo dashed off. He nimbly dodged boulders and rubble. In his hurry, he fell more than once. But Frodo picked himself back up and rushed.

Halmir followed more slowly and cautiously, though he was no less anxious about his friend. His mind still couldn't grasp that Merry was dead. Dead. The word haunted him as we moved steadily on to where he suspected Merry had fallen. The sight he beheld was one to rend his heart and bring tears to his eyes.

Frodo was already kneeling on the stone street, and had his Merry's head in his lap. He was gently stroking the curls from the pale forhead. No tears came, but the look in Frodo's eyes told of a pain too deep for tears. Halmir stood in respectful silence by Frodo's side, hoping to comfort the Hobbit by his mere presence. There was nothing else he could do.

Finally, Frodo whispered in the most broken, pitiful voice Halmir had ever heard, "He's gone, Halmir. Gone. He...he won't ever return. He's been through so much. To be killed by an accident..."

The words seemed to have opened the floodgate. For before Halmir could respond, Frodo bent over his young cousin and wept bitter tears. He wept long and hard, and Halmir wept with him.

But soon Halmir noticed that the shadows had lengthened even more, and the sun was continuing her western march. Someone needed to have the presence of mind to find shelter for the long and dangerous night. Halmir stood. One look at Frodo and he knew the Hobbit would spend the night weeping in the street over his fallen cousin if no one roused him.

"Frodo. We must find shelter. Come, we will move Merry that house over there. We can spend the night there."

Frodo looked up. His expression was drained and withdrawn. "Yes, I suppose we must." The voice that came from Frodo's lips did not sound like the Frodo he knew. This voice was remote and stiff. Halmir was alarmed, but said nothing. Wordlessly, the two carefully carried the body of dear friend and cousin to the house Halmir had indicated.

Halmir laid Merry down as gently as possible. And, acting on the impulse of a quavering hope, he turned Merry's head to the side so that if he was alive, he could breath. Then he and Frodo huddled together at the door of the house to keep watch. Halmir sighed and looked up at the stars. The twinkling lights usually comforted him, but tonight they looked remote and far away.

Halmir had considered sending Frodo for help, but in the state he was in, Halmir knew Frodo would not have made it. He had considered going for help, but felt that he couldn't leave Merry's body to be found by some stray dog...Halmir shuddered as he dismissed the thought. He would not leave Frodo alone in his grief. Anyway, it would be unwise for them to be seperated at night. So, he resolved, they would wait out the night and hope either to be found or to make some progress by day.

Niether Halmir nor Frodo could sleep, but Halmir knew that Frodo had not the will to keep watch. In fact, Halmir wondered if Frodo had the will to live. Sam would help his master, Halmir knew. If only they could just reach the others in time!

Hours passed, and the boy's imagination began to get the better of him. He heard heavy breathing, felt malicious eyes on his back, could feel the presence of some night phantom that was waiting for him to nod off before the loathsome thing struck. Halmir shuddered and got so scared that he tossed the thought in his mind, "Maybe I should have Merry's sword ready?" But the very thought of a weapon made the poor lad recoil in fear. Horrific images filled his head.

And then he would imagine the Night Phantom, the nameless thing that haunted his imagination. Halmir looked from the sword to the darkness beyond the door. Halmir groaned when he glanced back at the sky. Angry clouds were gathering. He heard the rumble of thunder in the distance. It certainly would be a long night.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

TBC...

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Sorry this was so short. It's late and I'm tired and I just can't make sense of any more. I promise that I will write more very soon. I hope that has helped ease your hanging. I know some of you thought I had forgotten about you. :)

Copyright Frodo Baggins 2006





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List