Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Healer of Hearts  by Frodo Baggins

"Now *that* was a meal, lads. Samwise is one of the best cooks in Middle Earth." Gimli said contentedly, pushing back his plate after three servings.

Normally Sam would have blushed and acknowledged the compliment. But his gaze remained fixed on his untouched food. This did not go unnoticed by Gandalf.

"Samwise, I believe you should rest. You do not look well." Gandalf said in a grandfatherly tone.

"Gandalf is correct, Sam, you should rest. You are weary with worry." The King was worried for his friend. For a Hobbit to not eat even one serving was a dead give away that something was wrong.

Sam did not look up, but his voice was firm, "I'd rather not, sirs. I won't sleep a wink till my master comes home and I'm assured he's safe in his bed. I can stay awake and worry in my bed or I can stay awake and worry out here. I'll be worryin' either way."

Aragorn and Gandalf exchanged glances. When a Gamgee set his will, not even the Dark Lord himself could move it.

"Very well, Sam. But promise not to overworry yourself."

Sam nodded. Legolas made to clear away the dishes, but Sam stopped him. "Let me, if you please, sir." Legolas was a little surprised, but allowed Sam to take his plate. It was an unspoken agreement to allow Sam to do all of the after dinner chores himself. Everyone knew that when Sam was anxious, his hands needed to be busy.

As Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli turned to leave, a flash of light followed by a roar of thunder stopped them all short. Sam shot a meaningful glance at Aragorn. Rain pelted Minas Tirith. Sam set to clearing and washing the dishes with energy that rivaled the summer storm raging outside.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Halmir sat and watched as the black clouds rolled closer. A flash of lightening and a deafening roar of thunder opened the flood gates of heaven. Halmir scooted a bit further away from the door - and the deluge. Halmir glanced at Frodo, who had fallen into a fitful sleep.

And then he saw them.

Two, yellow, glowing eyes staring at him from the rain. Halmir's hands trembled as he pulled Merry's sword from its sheath. Halmir prayed silently that the creature would let them alone. He heard a low sound in the animals throat. Halmir stood, sword drawn, but shaking in his hand. The lad swallowed hard. Halmir watched in terror as the eyes bounded towards him. He readied his sword. And just as he was about to strike, he stopped in shocked silence. For, bounding into the house came the biggest surprise of his life - Anna!

Halmir dropped his sword and scooped his puppy up into his arms. "Oh Anna! How did you know? Good girl, good girl." Halmir hugged the wet puppy close. What a comfort she was!

Halmir hunkered down by the doorway, hope renewed. Anna lay quietly in his lap, ever guarding her master and his friends with patient, unwavering loyalty. Her brown eyes gazed out at the pouring rain. She didn't flinch when the lightening split the sky and the thunder shook the City. She would guard her master no matter what came her way.

Two hours later, Anna cocked her ears and looked towards Frodo. A moment later, the former Ringbearer stirred and mumbled fitfully in his sleep. Halmir went to his friend's side. Anna followed faithfully behind.

"Anna, Frodo is overcome with grief over Merry. I think it's making him ill." Halmir had taken to talking to the puppy. And right now, she was the only one who could listen. Anna gazed at her master with understanding brown eyes. She whined a little and layed her head against Halmir's chest. Halmir hugged the pup. "I'm so scared, Anna. I don't want to lose Frodo *and* Merry. And I'm the only one to take care of Frodo. I don't know what to do, Anna. He needs help, but I don't know *what* help he needs. I wish I could do more than just sit around and watch him fade away."

Halmir seemed to hear, or feel, rather, a gentle whisper. "Let him know that you are near. Show him that there is yet hope. Give him cause to see the dawn." Halmir lifted his head. That was the answer, and he had known it all along. Halmir had not long to wait for an oppurtunity to carry out the gentle suggestion. Frodo woke with a start and a stifled cry moments later. He looked at Halmir, and then at Merry's body. Frodo sunk back down with a groan, but Halmir was their to offer a comforting embrace. He didn't say anything. Halmir knew that in times of such great grief, words were empty and meaningless. So Halmir wrapped his arms around Frodo and held him like he would his frightened little sister. Frodo returned the embrace greatfully and silent tears slid down his hot cheeks.

*~*~*~*~*

The dishes done, Sam searched for another thing to occupy his attention, lest he burst from worry. He remembered Halmir's puppy, and realized she would be hungry and in need of food and care. He called for her, but she didn't come. Sam walked from room to room, calling the pup's name. With each failure, his voice grew more and more worried. After two full circuits of the house, he rushed into the sitting room where the Company had retired. Not one of them could sleep, so they sat about on the sofas and chairs, smoking their pipes, reading or thinking.

"Anna's gone missing!" Sam cried.

His friends did not think it odd that Sam was so worried about a dog. Normally, this would not have bothered the Hobbit. However, Anna's disapearence reminded him that his friends were out in the growing storm, probably not safe and sound, and certainly not where they should be. Sam paced back and forth for ten minutes, muttering to himself. And then he paused, clutching at the air for something to steady him. With Elven swiftness, Legolas reached Sam before the others knew what was happening. Legolas carried Sam to his bed, followed by Gimli and Gandalf. Aragorn had rushed to get a glass of water.

Sam was still recovering from the torturous journey through Mordor, and much worry and anxiety can be very taxing indeed. Sam had passed out for want of rest and peace. He woke moments later to find his friends's anxious faces gazing down at him. He blushed deeply. "I...we have to find Mr. Frodo! Something's not right, as sure as it's raining. We have to find 'em, sirs!" Sam was adament, and Aragorn placed his firm hands on the Hobbit's chest to keep him from leaping from the bed.

"Sam, you have just passed out. I am ordering you as your king to rest now." That did it, as Aragorn suspected. The mention of his title kept Sam in his place. It subdued him only momentarily, however.

"Somethin's wrong, Lord Strider. We must go find him! I suppose that's where Anna went. Slipped off as soon as she could to find her master. She must of sensed that something was wrong."

Gandalf looked at Aragorn and said, "I believe he may be right, Aragorn. That dog was very attached to her master, and often times animals can sense when something is not right. Perhaps we should not wait until morning."

A great flash of lightening and a clap of thunder seemed to foretell of some doom.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

TBC....

Copyright 2006 Frodo Baggins





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List