Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Healer of Hearts  by Frodo Baggins

Durning the clap of thunder, no one had heard the door open and shut. They did not noctice that anyone had entered the house at all until Pippin's voice came from the doorway. "I'm home!" Pippin, who was dripping wet, announced. But then he saw the expressions on the faces of those gathered in the kitchen. "Why does everyone look worried? Where are Frodo, Merry and Halmir?"

"Pippin..." Aragorn began. Something in his tone made Pippin tense.

"Where are they?" he asked again, this time his voice sharp with worry.

"Don't fret, Peregrin. We suspect they are staying at an inn. They went out today, and have not returned since." Gandalf said.

"You *suspect*?!" Pippin's voice was shrill now. "Why don't you *know*? What if..." Pippin blanched. An expression of grim determination came across his face, and it reminded Sam sharply of Frodo.

"He's right, we oughtn't to sit about while they could be in danger."Sam agreed, glad that somebody finally understood.

"And what do you plan to do, Pippin and Sam? Knock on every inn door and demand to know if the Ringbearer sleeps there? I think not." Gandalf said before Pippin could retort that he would knock on the Black Gate to find his cousins and friend."No, it is not wise to go about the City at night during a storm. Do not forget that Sam is still healing."

"That means Mr. Frodo is still recovering as well, then!" Sam cried, leaping from the bed.

"We won't decide anything until Pippin is dried and fed." Gandalf decided. As if to agree with the old wizard, Pippin's stomach growled loudly as he shivered. The sight was very comical, and caused Gandalf, Gimli, and Sam to laugh and Aragorn and Legolas to smile.

"I suppose it wouldn't be wise to search on an empty stomach." Pippin admitted, though not to his displeasure.

"Of course not, and you'll catch yer death if you don't get out of that livery and into some dry clothes." Sam steered the young Hobbit to his room. When the Hobbits had gone, Legolas turned to Gandalf.

"I am afraid that I agree with the Hobbits, Mithrandir."

"Is that so? About not searching an empty stomach?" Gandalf asked with a twinkle in his eye.

"Not about the empty stomach, but about the searching. I've had a strange feeling that all is not right with our friends."

Gandlaf sobered immediately. "That is serious, then, my friend. Though it could only be a feeling."

"Perhaps it is so, Gandalf, but I would prefer not to take chances. When the dog went missing, it only served to confirm my fears."

"I believe Legolas is right, Gandalf."Aragorn said.

"As soon as that rascal is fed, I say we go find the Hobbits and the lad! It's too bad we don't have Anna with us now."

"That would have been helpful indeed, but we will have to work without her." Aragorn said. "We should not search the inns, however. We should go to the unpopulated parts of town and search there for a few hours. If we fail to find our friends, we will simply come back and wait for morning."

"Your advice is wise, Elessar. Sam and Pippin, at least, will be at ease." Legolas felt better himself.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Frodo had fallen back to sleep for awhile, but he murmered constantly, and his brow was ever creased. At times, Halmir saw the tracks of tears streaming down his cheeks. The former Ringbearer was getting worse.

Halmir continued to sit at the door, Anna in his lap. He sometimes spoke to her, for she seemed to understand. The pup laid her head on her young master's arm, occasionally thumping her tail to show that she had heard him, or that he had found a spot where she enjoyed being scratched. She was uncommonly quiet, not uttering so much as a whimper. Halmir knew she understood the gravity of their situation. His young heart was much relieved by his companion's presence. He knew she would alert him of danger, and would defend them all if it cost her her life.

After awhile, Halmir noticed that Frodo was awake. Or at least he seemed awake. His eyes were open, but he scarecly blinked. Halmir thought he looked a little pale, and that his normally bright eyes looked glassy and dull. Halmir went to check on his hero. Frodo didn't move as Halmir approached. For a heart stopping moment, Halmir thought Frodo had died. But then the Hobbit's chest rose and fell slightly. The boy put a hand to Frodo's head and drew it back as if burned. Frodo had a raging fever. He needed medical attention.

Halmir cupped his hands and let them fill with the cool rain water. He brought what he could back to Frodo and carefully splashed the water onto Frodo's burning head. Then he noticed that Frodo was shivering. Halmir searched everywhere for a blanket, but there was nothing to be had. So Halmir sat beside Frodo and told Anna to lay in the Hobbit's lap. Halmir hoped his and Anna's body heat would be enough to keep Frodo warm. As if to spoil even this small effort, the wind whipped into the house and chilled them all.

*~*~*~*~*~*

"Sam! We've been searching for two hours. We must go back!" Aragorn called above the wind. Sam came closer, indicating he didn't understand.

"We have been searching for two hours! We must go back!" Aragorn cried louder.

"We haven't found Mr. Frodo!" Sam shouted back.

"We need to leave. Please Sam. We will look for Frodo tomorrow."

Sam nodded. Shouting was tiring. The small search party slowly began the way back. Wet, cold and disheartened, the company came to a halt when Legolas held a hand and stopped.

"I hear something on the wind!" He cried. And then the rest of the company could here it too. It was barking! Out of the darkness Anna bounded. She hopped around their feet, dancing in joy. She ran a ways down the dark street from whence she came, paused and looked back. It took Pippin no time to know what she meant, and he was followed by the others as he ran after Anna. Hope was renewed in each of their hearts.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

TBC...

Copyright Frodo Baggins 2006





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List