Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Faint Heart Never Won Fair Lady  by Rose Gamgee

*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 18 - Wait for Me

*~*~*~*

The flames danced warmly in the hearth in Crickhollow's sitting room, where two hobbits sat in comfortable silence, content to be in each other's arms for one more night.

Estella, along with her brother, had spent that week at Crickhollow to help Merry and Pippin prepare for their journey, and to allow Estella to spend a few more days with her fiancé.  This particular night was the last one before Merry and Pippin were to set out for Gondor; Pippin and Fredegar had long since gone to bed, but Merry and Estella were still up, sitting by the fire, paying no heed to the clock.

"We should do this more often," Estella said softly, finally breaking the silence.  "Just sit by the fire together, I mean."

Merry nodded, pulling Estella closer to him.  "We will do this as often as you like when I get back."

"Good."  Estella buried her face in Merry's chest; she took a deep breath, filling herself with his comforting scent.  "I'm almost glad you're finally leaving tomorrow.  Because the sooner you leave, the sooner you'll come back to me."

Finding no words to say, Merry simply kissed the top of her head.

"Now you aren't going to do anything rash while you're away, are you?" she inquired.

Merry smiled.  "I shall do my best to stay out of trouble."

Estella looked up at him, and he was surprised to see tears shining in her eyes; her voice was low and her face solemn when she replied,

"I don't want anything to happen to you, Merry."  She reached up and ran a gentle fingertip along the scar above his eyebrow.  "You've been through enough already."

She rearranged herself so that she sat on her knees, facing him.  She leaned in and kissed his forehead, tenderly caressing the length of his scar with her lips.  For a moment, Merry sat perfectly still, his eyes closed, feeling as though every lingering wound and every terrible memory was being healed and washed away into nothingness by Estella's loving kisses.  He took her hand and brought it to his mouth, brushing his lips against each of her fingertips.

Finally, Estella reluctantly pulled away and stood.

"You need to get some sleep," she whispered.

Merry sighed and nodded.  He stood and allowed Estella to lead him to his bedroom.  Before he went inside, he wrapped his arms around Estella, pulling her into a tight embrace.

"Good night, Estella," he murmured.

Estella buried her face in his chest, her tears soaking the front of his shirt.

"Sweet dreams, Merry-love."

*~*~*~*

All was made ready the next morning.  Merry and Pippin had plenty of food to last them until they reached Edoras, where they would be stopping for a day.  Their ponies were laden with blankets, clothing, and other supplies.  They were ready to leave.

Merry, Pippin, Fredegar, and Estella were gathered outside of Crickhollow to say their farewells.  While Pippin spoke with Fredegar, Merry pulled Estella aside.  He set his arms around her shoulders, resting his forehead against hers.  He was silent for some time, content to simply stare at her.  When he finally spoke, his voice was soft and almost pleading.

"Will you wait for me?"

Estella met his gaze steadily.  "For as long as it takes."

Merry smiled, and their lips came together in a slow, lingering kiss that left them breathless when they pulled away.

"I love you, Estella."

Blinking back tears, Estella replied, "I love you, too, Merry."

Merry stepped away from Estella, bringing one of her hands up to his lips.  He then turned to find Pippin waiting by the ponies, Fredegar standing a few steps away.

"Ready?" asked Pippin.

Merry nodded.  He turned back to Estella and smiled.

"Don't be sad," he said gently and so that only she could hear.  "I'll be back before you know it, and then you shall have to deal with me for the rest of your life."

Estella smiled back at him, her heart leaping at the reminder of what would happen once Merry returned.  "Be careful.  If you get yourself hurt, I will never forgive you."

"Yes, m'lady," he replied with a grin.  He then walked over to Fredegar and embraced him as Estella kissed Pippin's cheek, wishing him a good journey.  A moment later, the two cousins mounted their ponies, turning them away from Crickhollow.  Fredegar set an arm around his sister's shoulders as they waved goodbye to Merry and Pippin.  Merry turned to give Estella one last, loving smile before he went down the hill and out of sight.

*~*~*~*~*





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List