Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Children of Iluvatar  by Antane

A/N:  My thanks to dear Elemmire for giving me the thought of Elrond being aware of Sam seeing his star. :)

Chapter Ten: Prayers Answered

Elrond felt the dizziness due to the growing thirst of the hobbits and their weariness, especially that of Frodo, the drain not only on his hroa but his fëa. The darkness around the Elf‑lord was more than the night that he treasured. He felt the black over his heart even in his well‑lit study, but he was in his gardens now, walking in a safe, guarded area where Frodo and Sam struggled through lands growing more perilous all the while. He knew it had to be them, that it couldn’t be any others, but...

Please, Adar, please help them. They are alone, surrounded by their enemies.

They are not alone, My child. They are also surrounded by the enemies of their enemies.

The blackness had not entered his heart the way it had Iorhael’s, but the Elf lord wished it would if it meant that his little brother would be saved from it. The Elf‑lord was gladdened that the growing darkness found little purchase in Sam’s heart which was so filled with love for his master, instead of the terrible night that shrouded Frodo’s. Elrond heard Sam’s prayer for light and water and added his own fervent supplication.

Let them feel Your Light as well, Adar, please. Iorhael is being drained so by the darkness.

And he is being filled by the Light. In the struggle in that small and great heart is also the greatest hope, though he cannot hold it himself. Many others hold it for him, his heartbrothers and all those who have fought alongside him.

I hold it as well, but I grieve. How can such a hard road be borne?

In the same way it has been borne by you and all those of My children who have fought the Shadow. You have not stopped fighting simply because you have been defeated more than once. You understand that there is more merit in suffering to end an evil than in fleeing it. Your brother didn’t think he was strong enough for this either, but he is discovering more and more that he is. He is growing stronger as he is growing weaker. He will not fail. The Enemy is sowing his own defeat in that fëa he so seeks to dominate.

Elrond felt the Nazgûl fly over where Frodo and Sam were, felt the cold in that soul pierce him and his brother and knelt down in his garden and continued to pray.

I wish I had Your sight, Adar. My faith and trust are so weak.

Then take his. He does not even know Who he trusts, but he still believes. He has no hope of his own, but he still trusts.

Soon he looked up and felt his prayers answered. At the same time he felt Sam’s excitement about the bit of light. Frodo’s spirit still struggled under its burden, but then Elrond felt the pain of it ease a bit. He knew that Sam had taken his master’s hand or had otherwise brought some comfort. The Elf lord longed to bring aid of his own, but knew that Sam being there was more help than he could provide.

Le hannon, Adar.

He did not rise from his position and that is how Arwen found him an hour later. She joined him there, held her father’s hand and added her own prayers. Elrond clasped her hand firmly and together they prayed, their link adding power to their pleas. It was joy for them to know that another prayer had been answered: the hobbits had found water. Elrond felt his own throat eased, though he was surrounded by water.

Le hannon, le hannon, Adar.

The hobbits found a place to rest for the night, and Elrond hoped it would prove to be another blessing for he continued to fear the hold the Ring was gaining on his little brother. More than once he had been awakened from sleep or meditation by dark dreams and knew Frodo’s fëa was under another assault. Each time he had sent what support and prayers he could to shore up the crumbling defenses. He felt Sam also wake if Frodo whimpered or cried out, felt support and love given, a physical touch to bolster what he tried to send.                

Elrond also felt comfort reach his own fëa as well. Look up, My child. The Enemy cannot reach all the places I can.

Elrond looked up at the night sky and felt a moment of union with his other brother as Sam stared up at the stars as well. He felt peace settle within as it settled within that little gardener’s heart and soothed his fëa enough that he took Frodo’s hand and abandoned himself to sleep.

Do you see, My child? He knows not Who is watching over him, but he trusts enough to let Someone else look after his master for this little while, as Iorhael is trusting also that he is cared for. Their faith is strong even in their ignorance.

As mine is weak in my knowledge. You are teaching me much, Adar. I am ashamed that You have to.

It is enough that you are humble enough to learn.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List