Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Children of Iluvatar  by Antane

Chapter Thirteen: Claim

Elrond gasped as he woke from nightmare visions. Drenched in sweat, he rose to rinse his face and seek the source of the terrible images that clung to him, receding only reluctantly into the black well from where they had sprung. In the dim candlelight burning in honor of Ilúvatar, Elrond’s vision swam until he saw the source of the horror. He watched with anguish as Frodo batted his hands in front of his face at things not truly there but entirely vivid and real to him. The Elf lord’s grief increased as his little brother suffered this new assault but his admiration and love and humble awe grew at the same time as Frodo stumbled on despite it all.

Elrond was dismayed that the light from Galadriel’s phial did not penetrate the darkness of the Sammath Naur while it had shown so brilliantly in the black of Torech Ungol, but he knew he shouldn’t have been. He was more distressed that his own attempts to reach his brothers were blunted, as he well knew the dark power of the place.

All powers are subdued here but My fallen child’s. And My own.

Oh, Adar, stay with them now especially. The darkness is so deep.

They will always have My light.

Hope flared up in Elrond’s heart as Frodo’s light grew as bright as that of one who had been on the other side. But a moment later, it was crushed when the power of Sauron overwhelmed the frail vessel in which the light was held. Elrond felt very intimately the violation of Frodo’s fëa. He cried out in his own fëa and out loud, though he did not realize he had, wondering how anyone could bear such torment.

When Frodo’s spoke in a voice that was not his and said such terrible words, “I have come. But I do not choose now to do what I came to do. I will not do this deed. The Ring is mine!” Elrond lived over again the nightmare of Isildur’s failure.

NO!!

He watched in agony as Frodo disappeared, claimed by the Ring. A terror and a grief he had never known before in his millennia of life, not even when he had actually stood with Isildur where his fëa stood now, overwhelmed him. Why hadn’t he been strong enough then to prevent now another who was dear to him from suffering and failing because Isildur had failed, because he had failed?

Where are you, Adar?! He is lost. Elrond’s voice seemed to echo back through the last age as he had asked the same thing then.

I am with him, My child, came the same response.

How can You be? If You are, why then has he failed? I thought he...You...

Did I not tell you that the burden would be too much for him in the end? No created being could withstand that power forever. You knew that. He knew that. Olórin, Galadriel, Faramir, all My children realized it. Indeed they hardly dared to hope that Iorhael would even make it this far. But he is endurance beyond hope, beyond all but Panthael’s.

Tears coursed down Elrond’s cheeks of which he was barely aware, tears of mirrored failures now pummeling him twice as hard. I thought...I tried so hard to trust You, Adar, that everything would be all right, but it is not.

It is as it was always to be, My child. Your brother has shown great strength and in his weakness, I will show My strength. He has not failed. I gave both your brothers the grace to be who I created them to be ‑ Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad ‑ to help right the wrong of Isildur. They have done that. Your other brother and I will fulfill the rest.

Elrond watched helplessly as Gollum jumped on his brother’s invisible form and wrestled with him. His jaws opened, then closed viciously on something. Frodo’s agonized howl filled the chamber at the same time that of the Elf‑lord’s filled the expanse of his silent garden.  The Ring‑bearer suddenly reappeared and dropped to his knees, clutching his bleeding hand, now missing a finger that Gollum held triumphantly aloft, the Ring still encircling it.

Elrond dropped to his knees as well, clutching his own hand, gasping hard in his pain. He barely felt his twin sons rush to his side and support him. He could not answer their mental pleas for what had caused him to cry out and collapse. But so great was their bond that Elladan and Elrohir saw flashes of terrible images from their father’s mind and sought to ease his pain.They wiped at his tears and held him.

Why, Adar, why?! Elrond cried out. He gave You all he had to get here, but still it was not enough. His body is maimed and his fëa...his fëa...

It reminded the Elf‑lord far too vividly of his wife’s after she had been attacked by Orcs. He had hoped never to feel such pain again, but now, after five hundred years, the memory of it returned to him and he groaned under the double force of it and Frodo’s. It was to Celebrían, not to Ilúvatar, that his prayer now reached, for strength, for hope, for endurance. Her fëa shone once more. Please, let it be so with him as well. Help me, meleth nîn, help him. Help him in ways I cannot for I have not felt what you two have, not truly.

Better that he lose a piece of mortal flesh than his immortal fëa.

Elrond could not tell where that answer came from.

__

Note: Meleth nîn is my love. The names Ilúvatar gave to Frodo and Sam are Endurance Beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List