Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Wars of the Valar  by Fiondil

37: Veryanwë Meren

Námo and Vairë were coming around the southern point of Almaren when Námo stopped swimming. "Slow down, Vairë," he said, treading water.

Vairë stayed her stroke and looked at him in surprise. "Do you not wish to win this race?" she asked, clearly puzzled.

"Oh, not really," Námo said with a diffident shrug. "I think it would be more fun to serve than to be served, don’t you?"

Vairë cast him a meaningful look. "Is that what you want to do?"

"I think so," Námo said. "It would make a nice betrothal gift, don’t you?"

"Betrothal!" Vairë exclaimed, swimming over to her beloved. "You mean Nessa and Tulkas?"

Námo nodded. "I have the feeling Tulkas is going to ask Nessa to espouse him at this feast Manwë and Varda are arranging."

"Hmm... you may be right about that," Vairë said with a grin. Then her look became slyer. "So when are you going to ask me formally if I wish to espouse you?"

Námo suddenly became uncomfortable and there was a trapped look in his eyes. "Well... um... it’s just that... I mean...um... now!?"

Vairë’s expression softened and she swam closer to touch noses with him. "No, beloved. Whenever you are ready, I’ll be there."

Now Námo’s expression was more contrite. "I’m sorry... I..."

"Hush now, love," Vairë whispered, putting her arms around his neck and giving him a gentle kiss. "There is nothing to apologize for. You take all the time you need."

"What if I never...." He was now feeling guilty, as if he were exhibiting some personal failing in not asking Vairë to wed him.

"Shhh... Don’t think that. You are not a failure, beloved," Vairë murmured, having divined his thoughts. "Now, why don’t we continue our swim. I don’t want to be so far behind the others that they become suspicious."

She gave him a wink and he laughed, suddenly glad that Atar had brought her into his life. He felt a feathery brush of love sweep through him at that thought and knew that Atar was in complete agreement. He gave her a quick but heartfelt kiss. "Come. Let us go."

They continued swimming, finally arriving at the cove where they had all agreed to meet to find Oromë, Tulkas and Nessa already there, grinning with delight. "Took you long enough," Tulkas said.

"At least we arrived in good time for the feast, though," Námo quipped and they all laughed as they made their way towards their home.

****

Manwë had decided that they needed to celebrate the rebuilding of Ambarhíni and the establishment of Almaren, so he ordered a feast, bidding all to join him and Varda in giving thanks to Atar for all that they had accomplished. When Námo and the others arrived the feast was well underway. Everyone looked up as the five of them made their way towards the high table where the other Ayanumuz were seated.

"So who won?" Manwë asked with a grin and started laughing at the bemused looks on their faces.

"How did you...." Nessa asked.

"Oh, I have my methods," Manwë answered, looking smug.

"You mean spies," Oromë retorted, giving the Eldest a dark look, though there was a hint of amusement in his eyes as well.

"Those, too," was Manwë’s reply and the other Ayanumuz and several of the Máyar sniggered.

"Well, as it happens," Námo said, "Vairë and I lost, so we will serve the rest of you as our forfeit."

Tulkas looked shocked, though neither Oromë nor Nessa exhibited any concern. "The bet was that the losers would serve the winners, not everyone else."

Námo shrugged. "If we serve the one we serve the whole. Vairë and I talked about it on the way and agreed that if we lost we would serve all the Ayanumuz." He gave the newest Ayanuz a warm smile. "Trust me, it will be more fun this way and it is what we want to do."

Manwë nodded. "Then, take your places and let us resume our feast."

Nessa and Oromë led a reluctant Tulkas to their seats. The golden-haired Ayanuz still looked troubled, but Oromë whispered something to him and he began to relax. Meanwhile, Námo and Vairë were shooing the Máyar who had been assigned to serve the high table away.

"We will do this," he told them. "Go and join your brethren and make merry. You have all earned a respite."

The Máyar gave reluctant bows, clearly uncomfortable with the idea of any of the Ayanumuz in a servant role, but Námo smiled encouragingly and they left to join their fellows. Eönwë remained behind, looking somewhat forlorn.

"What is it, child?" Námo said solicitously.

The Máya ducked his head, seemingly suddenly shy. "I... I had hoped to... serve my lord... I mean my... former lord."

Námo gave him a sympathetic look and took him by the shoulders, forcing him to look at him. "Manwë will always be your lord, Eönwë, never fear." Then, coming to a decision, he nodded. "Very well, you will tend to Manwë and Varda. Vairë and I will see to the others."

Eönwë’s expression was one of deep gratitude as he thanked Námo, who merely waved away the Máya’s thanks. "Go and do as you said, Eönwë. Manwë has already given his consent."

The Máya nodded and went to do his duty to his lord and lady while Námo joined Vairë in serving their fellow Ayanumuz. Vairë gave Námo a quizzical look. He merely smiled. "I decided Eönwë has earned this right. He has been most diligent in his duty towards me."

Vairë nodded but made no comment. Instead, she handed her beloved a basket of bread and gave him a smirk. He smiled and bent down and gave her a brief kiss that held much promise for the future.

The feast was everything one could imagine. Food was plentiful and the mirubhózë flowed. Námo and Vairë served their fellows joyfully and only when Manwë insisted did they finally sit and partake of some of the feast. Several of the Máyar took turns to provide entertainment, singing songs or dancing before the high table. There was much laughter and jesting among them. Námo kept a close eye on Eönwë and nodded in satisfaction at the look of unalloyed joy that shone from the Máya’s eyes as he continued to serve Manwë and Varda.

*I think he may be ready to return to you,* he bespoke Manwë.

*But only if the others are,* Manwë returned. *I think it only fair that since they were banished from my service together then they should be returned unto my service together.*

*Then I will keep him for longer, though I think Olórin and Fionwë will be ready to return to you soon enough.*

Manwë’s nod towards Námo was almost imperceptible and it was doubtful anyone but Varda was aware that they had been communicating silently.

It was while the feast was winding down that Manwë stood and all fell silent, giving the Eldest their respectful attention. "My friends, long have we labored in repairing Atháraphelun from the ravages of this last war. By Atar’s grace we have striven to create as perfect a world for the Children to inhabit as is possible, given the parameters within which we must work. I want to thank everyone for their hard work and dedication. You should all be very proud of yourselves for what we have achieved."

He then sat down and the silence continued, for they had no convention for acknowledging the worthiness of another’s words. Then among the Máyar a single voice was raised in song. Námo recognized Melyanna who sang a song of thanksgiving that was popular among them all. Soon, they were all singing along and a few of the Máyar led by Melyanna began to dance before them all. Finally, as the dancing and singing began to wind down, Tulkas stood and all went silent again, wondering what this newest Ayanuz would say. Tulkas, for his part, seemed unaccountably nervous and Námo and Vairë exchanged amused smiles, guessing what was to come.

"I was not here from the very beginning," Tulkas began without preamble, "yet in the short time that I have been here, I have been made welcome and accepted as one of you. For that, I thank you." He gave Manwë a short bow and the Eldest nodded in acknowledgment. Then Tulkas gave Nessa a sideways glance which she returned with a smile. Oromë, sitting on the other side of his sister had a knowing smile on his own face.

"Yes, well... what I really wanted to say is that in all my existence in the Timeless Halls I never found one whom I could love and I despaired of ever finding someone who could love me in return. Yet, Atar knew better than I where my destiny lay and to whom I would eventually espouse. And so, with Oromë’s blessing and Atar’s, I would formally ask of Nessa if she would consent to become my beloved wife."

There were gasps of surprise among many of the Máyar and scattered clapping as smiles wreathed immortal faces anticipating Nessa’s answer, for there was no doubt in anyone’s mind what that answer would be. Nessa, for her part, rose and placed her hand in Tulkas’ and smiled. "I consent," was all she said, blushing shyly as everyone cheered.

Manwë and Varda then stood, both of them beaming. "Then, if it is your wish to espouse one another," Manwë told them, "let us hear your vows."

Tulkas led Nessa before Manwë and Varda. Oromë joined them, acting as witness. At the last moment, Tulkas indicated he wished Námo and Vairë to also stand beside the couple, much to Námo’s embarrassment and Vairë’s delight. She and Nessa hugged one another before Nessa turned back to Tulkas to offer her vows to him. Tulkas, however, spoke first.

"Nessa, in thee I find my other half and before Atar and these witnesses I would espouse thee now and forever. Knowest thou that I would cherish thee and comfort thee, fight with thee and make up with thee." There was laughter all around at the sly grin he offered her and the blush that stole across Nessa’s visage. "But more than that, I would give thee myself unreservedly and with joy if thou wouldst accept me as thy husband."

"I accept thee, Tulkas, with all my heart," Nessa said sweetly. "And I, my love, find in thee my other half and before Atar and these witnesses I would espouse thee now and forever, if thou wouldst accept me as thy wife."

"I do so wholeheartedly," Tulkas answered.

"Then, let all know that this union between our brother Tulkas and our sister Nessa is acceptable to Atar and to us," Manwë announced. Then, he took Nessa’s hand and laid it in Tulkas’. "May you know only joy, my children."

At that moment Yavanna and Vána approached, each bearing a wreath of sweet grass, wild grains and colorful leaves entwined and placed them on the heads of the newlyweds. Melyanna and Lisselindë began singing a paean of love and the others all joined in while the couple stood gazing shyly into each other’s eyes. As the song ended, Nessa reached up and kissed Tulkas, whispering something in his ear. He nodded, and she stepped away to stand on the sward before the high table. Yavanna and Varda seemed to know what she wished, for they suddenly began singing a different song and Nessa danced.

****

Later, after Tulkas and Nessa had left them to spend time together as husband and wife, the other Ayanumuz were alone at the high table, having dismissed the Máyar to attend to their other duties. Eönwë was most reluctant to leave Manwë’s side but Námo, who technically still held his allegiance, sent him off with Maranwë, instructing them both not to return to Almaren until Ambarhíni had made ten orbits around the black hole.

"Go and amuse yourselves, my children," he told them and Maranwë wasted no time dragging his fellow Máya away, chattering something about throwing ice balls taken from the rings of Askhadphelun.

"Well, that was a nice way to end the feast," Nienna said to no one in particular as she nibbled on a piece of bread.

Several heads nodded in agreement.

"I wonder who’s next?" Varda asked, looking slyly at the other unespoused Ayanumuz.

There was much smiling among them, but no one offered to volunteer. "Give us time, Varda," Irmo said as he held Estë’s hand. "Some of us are not quite as impetuous as our newest Ayanuz."

"A whirlwind romance if there ever was one," Aulë said with a grin and a wink at Yavanna, who merely smirked.

"Not half as quick as our courtship was," she said.

"No indeed," Manwë said with a chuckle. "You two had barely Emerged before you were falling into each other’s embrace. Even Atar was a bit taken aback."

"He never was!" Yavanna exclaimed in shock.

Manwë gave her a sly smile. "He told me, and I quote, ‘I always meant for Aulë and Yavanna to become one in heart and spirit, but I thought they would at least wait until they were a little more mature first.’"

The others sniggered at that while Aulë and Yavanna sat there blushing.

"Can we help it if it was love at first sight?" Aulë muttered, refusing to look at anyone. Yavanna nodded.

"It was love at first sight for Manwë and me as well," Varda countered, giving them a wicked grin, "but even we waited long enough for Atar to properly introduce us to one another before we started blending our aurae."

Now there was outright laughter among them. Námo bent down and whispered something to Vairë who nodded and the two of them began singing a song together. They sang it quietly at first and it took the others a few seconds to realize what these two were up to but when they heard the song there was uproarious laughter as one after another took up the refrain of the song that Ullukeluth had composed in honor of Aulë and Yavanna’s precipitous espousal. Aulë actually groaned and Yavanna glared but eventually they saw the humor of it and took it in good grace, even joining in on the final refrain.

And so the first feast of the Ayanumuz on the newly completed world that would someday see Atar’s other Children come into being ended on a note of gaiety and love.

****

Veryanwë Meren: (Quenya) Wedding Feast.

Mirubhózë: (Valarin) Miruvor.

Note: Ullukeluth is an Ayanuz who remained in the Timeless Halls and is known for his poetry and songs.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List