Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Teleri Treasury  by Rhyselle

Squall/Trust/Apology

 A/N: Findarato is the equivalent of a mortal 11 or 12 year old in this ficlet.

-Squall-

The storm came out of nowhere, catching Olwė by surprise as he secured the fish in the water well on the foredeck.  "Findarįto!" he shouted over the noise of the sudden squall, "start drawing in the lines, we've got to go back to the harbour!"

A quick glance over his shoulder showed him that his young grandson looked a bit green as the sailboat was tossed about, but the young Haryon gamely began to haul in the fishing lines on the starboard side of the vessel.  

Olwė turned to pull in the lines that dangled on the starboard side, and wondered just what had upset Ossė so much.  It was rare that there would be no warning of an incoming storm, and this one looked bad.  He gave a glance at the roiling clouds that were racing in and decided to cut the fishing lines instead of trying to pull them in.  He drew the knife from his belt and leaned over to slice the thread-fine hithlain, just as he heard something aloft crack.  Before he could look up, the mast top crashed down on the back of his head and shoulders.  The last thing he heard was Findarįto crying "Anatar!" 

* * * * *

-Trust-

This can't be Mandos.  I hurt too much. And I'm cold.  And wet.

Olwė could feel the wooden deck beneath him, somewhat padded by what he assumed were the hithlain blankets from the storage spaces beneath the stern seats by the tiller, rocking gently. The storm is over.

A familiar high pitched voice was shouting but it took him a little time to work through the throbbing pain in his head and back to realize that it was his grandson, Findarįto, apparently berating someone. Who could he be talking to out here?

"—Anatto's hurt bad! All because you lost your temper! Anatto told me that you loved us, but instead you almost killed him!"

"I'm sorry, so sorry!" 

Olwė, surprised at recognizing the penitent voice, opened his eyes to the unimaginable sight of Findarįto, soaking wet and furious, shaking his finger at Lord Ossė.  The Maia was seated tailor-fashion on the deck, his shoulders hunched, wringing his hands in his lap and his luminous face was streaked with tears.

"Sorry isn't going to help Annato, Ossė!  Our sail is gone, and I can't row a boat this size!" the not-yet-adolescent elfling snapped, stamping his booted foot on the deck for good measure. 

"Finda?"  Olwė winced at how shaky his voice sounded.  He tried to extend a hand towards his grandson, but went still once more as the movement made the pain worse.

"Olwė!" Ossė gasped.  "I'm sorry, Olwė, I'm truly sorry!"

Findarįto hurried to kneel next to Olwė.  "Anatto! You're awake!"  The youth gingerly touched Olwė's forehead.  "You hit your head on the rail when the top of the mast broke and fell on you, and then the sail blew away.  I thought you were dead!"

"Lord Nįmo didn't call my name this time.  How did you get the mast off of me?"

Findarįto flushed, "I started screaming, Anatto.  Um—I called Ossė—"

"Lord Ossė," Olwė corrected automatically.

The young prince scowled but corrected himself, "I called Lord Ossė some names, and yelled that it was his fault.  Then--"

Ossė reached over and brushed a strand of Olwė's hair away from his eyes.  "I heard him and came rushing in to see just who was ready to consign me to the void.  He was trying to move the mast off of your shoulder, so I lifted it off, and we found you still lived.  I'm sorry, Olwė.  I'm sorry you're hurt.  I'm sorry I scared Findarįto.  I didn't know you were out sailing."

The king closed his eyes as Ossė continued to apologize, then interrupted, "How far are we from home?"

About two hours if only we had a working sail," Findarįto told him.  "The storm blew us a long way off course."

"I can take you home.  It wouldn't take a moment to get you there," Ossė offered.

Olwė considered that before responding, "I hope you aren't asking me to abandon my sailboat out in the middle of nowhere."  Despite the ongoing headache and the pain in his neck and shoulders, Olwė managed to raise an eyebrow at the Maia.

Ossė looked a bit offended.  "Of course I wouldn't do that."  His expression changed and he looked suddenly anxious. "You do believe me, don't you, Olwė?  I never meant for anything like this to happen to you."

Olwė couldn't help laughing at Ossė's mercurial emotional shift, then moaned as his battered body protested.  "Valar, Ossė!  If this is what I feel like when I'm not the target of your wrath, I do not wish to be the focus of your anger."

"I'm sorry."

"Enough sorries!" Findarįto, impatient, slapped his hand on the deck.  "How are we getting the sailboat and us home?  Anatto needs a healer soon.  Fly?"

Ossė went still and then a smile slowly crept across his face.  "Do you trust me, meldonya?"

Olwė stared up at his friend and said, unhesitatingly, "Of course."

The Maia's incarnate form shimmered and shifted.  Findarįto gasped and stared.  Olwė smiled.

The large white swan brushed a wingtip against Olwė's cheek, and blinked an onyx coloured eye at Findarįto, before seizing the end of the forward mooring rope in his beak, and launching himself into the cloudy sky.

* * * * *

-Apology-

"Anatto, wake up.  You can't sleep yet."

Olwė opened his eyes and found what appeared to be two Findarįtos leaning over him.  He squinted to bring his grandson into focus.  "I'm awake, hķnya."

"Anatto, may I ask you something?"

A drop of water splashed on Olwė's face from a strand of Findarįto's hair, and the ellon hurriedly wiped it away, and pushed the golden lock aside.  Over the youth's shoulder, the injured king could see Ossė, still in swan form, pulling the battered sailboat back towards the harbour at Alqualonde.

"Of course you may."  Perhaps answering questions would help make staying awake easier.

Findarįto whispered, "Is-is Lord Ulmo going to be angry that I cursed at Lord Ossė?"

Olwė smiled gently at his grandson.  "Do you think that he should be, Finda?"

He hunched his shoulders and looked down, then nodded.  "I was awfully rude."

"You were frightened and angry.  Sometimes it's very hard to not be discourteous when you are afraid."

"But—" The youngster broke off a bit of lembas from their forgotten lunch, and offered it to Olwė. 

After opening his mouth for the fragment, and letting it dissolve on his tongue, the king prompted, "But?"   

"Being angry isn't an excuse, Ammė says."

"Well, your Ammė is a very wise elleth.  What do you think she would tell you to do?"  

Before Findarįto could reply, a host of gulls swept above them, screeching a noisy welcome home as Ossė drew them through the arched harbour entrance. All became pandemonium as the Maia alighted on the dock and transformed in time to prevent the damaged craft from banging against the pier.  

Olwė gritted his teeth as even the gentle lurch when the sailboat stopped jarred his cracked head and broken shoulder blade.  The dock workers swarmed in, and healers were swiftly summoned.  He saw Findarįto scooped up, wrapped in a blanket and carried to the quay, and he tried to reassure the worried elves who had taken the ellon's place.

The healers carefully transferred him to a litter and he blacked out briefly as they lifted it up over the railing.  But before he was carried up to the palace, he came around enough to hear Findarįto's voice.

"Lord Ossė, I'm very, very sorry that I called you all those awful things. Will you please forgive me for being so discourteous?"  

Olwė turned his head despite the dreadful throbbing, and smiled as he saw the Maia pull the young prince into a hug. 

Finis

(written Nov. 13, 14, 15 & 16, 2008)

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List