Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Shadows of the Past  by Laikwalâssê

Shadows of the past

Disclaimer:  see chapter 1

Author’s note:

Again many thanks to Erulisse and to Selene Aduial for beta reading this story for me. 

Chapter 18:  never lose hope

After Elrond had packed his belongings and carefully stowed away the ingredients he had used and would still need to modify the antidote he sat heavily on the bed and opened again the letter he had hoped would never arrive. His eyes could not leave the line

 

…your sons show the first signs of illness.

 

He took a ragged breath. How had the illness progressed until now? Could the moment when the mucus overflows the lung system be delayed by the un-modified antidote he had left behind? Then he shook his head angrily. Elladan and Elrohir were as old as Saeron and nothing, save the new modification of the medicine, had rescued the little boy’s life and that only with his constant presence and interaction. To hope now that the illness would progress any other way in Imladris was wishful thinking.

His sons did not have this supervision and his healers at Imladris would be as helpless as the King’s staff. He would lose them both and he had absolutely no power to stop it.

Angrily he tossed his packed bag in a chair and looked around. Where was Glorfindel? He wanted to ready their horses and prepare for their departure but his friend had been gone for over an hour now. What was taking him so long?

After visiting Saeron and Galadhion, both on their way to full recovery he had again spoken with the King’s healer’s to advise them how to make the antidote in the unlikely event that the illness would show up again.

He could find neither Elarinya nor Thranduil and so he had returned to his rooms to prepare to depart. The royal couple would show up at their departure.

When he stood and walked toward the chair holding his bag he suddenly faltered and moaned when a wave of dizziness assaulted him. Too far away from the chair to support him he sank to his knees and pressed the palms of his hands against his temples.

This time it was not only anguish he could experience through their bond but outright panic. Celebrían was unconsciously reaching out to him and had released all her desperate emotions through their bond.

Panting hard he concentrated trying to calm her in the same way. But as he had feared, she did not even recognize his presence; her mind was in too much turmoil.

Elrond was only vaguely aware of the door opening and someone rushing to his side dragging him from the floor toward the bed. After a few moments, in which he was again not able to reach his wife he opened his eyes and looked into the concerned face of Glorfindel.

Glorfindel was sitting beside the healer on the large bed, stabilizing the swaying figure with an arm around his waist, too accustomed to such incidents to ask any questions. The pale complexion of his friend’s face and the shaking hands told him enough. The situation at home had reached a dire state.

“Feeling better?” the golden warrior asked when Elrond finally looked up at him. The worry in the other’s eyes however answered his question. At least he could release the dark haired elf after he had made sure that the healer would not tumble from the bed.

“Thank you,” was all Elrond had to utter. Gorfindel squeezed his arm sympathetically and stood. He closed the door he had banged against the wall and retrieved the bag he had tossed to the ground when he had entered and seen his friend kneeling on the floor.

“Where have you been so long?” Elrond asked while he took a deep steadying breath. The emotional storm had subsided and he could not bring himself to think about what this could mean.

Glorfindel turned and looked at his Lord with a bewildered expression on his face. “Something odd is going on here. I’ve tried to find Thranduil or Elarinya to inform them of our departure but I could find neither of them. No one could tell me where they have gone. Not even the guards or the King’s steward have seen them since our arrival.”

Elrond frowned. Did Thranduil think that by avoiding them he could delay their departure? Elrond shook his head. This was ridiculous and atypical for the King. Elrond knew that the King could not stop them when they wanted to leave, despite his personal desires.

Sighing Elrond looked out of the window. It was already dawn. But he had made up his mind. They would depart now and this was final. He would never forgive himself, when these few hours he had waited until first light would decide his sons’ fate. He knew that he was betraying himself but hope was all he could cling to at the moment.

Aware that Glorfindel was watching him intently Elrond nodded toward his advisor and both elves slung their bags over their backs, ready to leave the room. Just when Glorfindel opened the door, they stopped. A strange noise was coming from the courtyard.

The elves looked at each other trying to find out what was making that noise. Unable to detect the source of the commotion outside, they dropped their bags again and walked toward the window.

At first Elrond could not see anything unusual, only that the place in front of the palace was deserted. No guards, no stable hands, if fact no elf could be seen crossing the otherwise so frequented place. But when Elrond narrowed his eyes he let out a small gasp. One elf was standing at the edge of the courtyard, his hands stretched toward the sky, his eyes closed and his lips moving in some silent chant Elrond could not hear.

Thranduil stood there looking every bit the King that he was. He was dressed in a magnificent dark green robe, his hair flowing behind him in the light morning breeze and his posture so taut that he appeared like a statue carved out of marble.

After opening the window the healer listened intently at the words the King was speaking. He could at first not determine what language the King was using.

After a while he thought he understood some words though. It sounded like a very old dialect of Quenya. The words sounded quiet but powerful, low but demanding, and Elrond had no doubt that they would be witnesses of some display of old powers from the Elder Days. With a side glance at Glorfindel Elrond almost smiled, seeing the narrowed eyes of his advisor and his nevertheless rapt attention.

Elrond’s attention snapped back toward the King however when Thranduil had stopped his chant and was now looking intently at the sky. Elrond swallowed. What was the King looking at? Only now did the healer spot the Queen standing a few feet away from her husband also looking into the sky.

Again Elrond looked at Glorfindel in the hope that the warrior could make some sense of this, but Glorfindel was still intently staring at the King.

Again Elrond’s attention was drawn into the courtyard when another strange sound could be heard. Without conscious thought Elrond directed his gaze at the sky too, somehow convinced that the source of the noise could not be found in the courtyard. And then he gasped.

Unclear at first but quickly recognisable he could clearly make out the huge shape of a giant eagle coming down rapidly. The healer blinked. Of course he had heard about the giant birds commanded only by Manwe himself, and he had even seen some of them in times long past, but he had never dreamed to witness such an encounter again.

But what surprised him most was the fact that the King of Greenwood obviously had the power to call the great birds. Elrond knew that Thranduil possessed some old magic but he had never known how far this power reached. To open and close some gates was one thing but to call the birds of the Valar was another matter entirely.

Elrond looked in awe at the great bird when it let out a loud screech and folded its huge wings to land in the courtyard directly in front of the royal couple. The beast ruffled his feathers and pulled his wings in tightly next to his body.

For long moments while the bird lowered his head and looked intently at the King nothing stirred; time seemed frozen. Nothing moved - no elf, no leaf. Even the breeze seemed to have stopped.

Unable to contain their curiosity any longer Elrond and Glorfindel looked at each other and in silent agreement they turned away from the window, grabbed their bags, and hurried out of the room and down the long corridor to emerge a few minutes later out of the front door into the courtyard.

Nothing had changed. Eagle and King were still standing opposite one-another, no word had been uttered so far.

Elrond stopped in his advance when he had nearly rounded the great bird. He did not want to intrude or interrupt the obviously silent exchange between it and the King. From this close proximity the beast looked even more magnificent.

After another few moments of silence the bird opened his beak and uttered words in a low guttural voice that could be understood clearly. “You have called for me, King of Greenwood the Great. How can I be of service?” it said while still keeping his eyes firmly on the King.

His face a mask, Thranduil inclined his head in respect. “I request your help in transporting the Master of Rivendell home, because the need is dire and much haste is required.”

Elrond swallowed after hearing what the King had said. Transport him home? Maybe there was still a chance to rescue his sons? Over the excitement of seeing a being from the Elder Days he had never considered why the eagle had come or what request Thranduil could have asked.

His heart beat suddenly furiously again and he felt his knees shake. His need to return home was so overwhelming that it nearly caused him physical pain but considering calling one of Manwe’s eagles to transport him home had never ever crossed his mind.

Looking at Glorfindel standing right behind him he could see the same surprise on the warrior’s face but also a slight smile on his advisor’s lips. “He’s always good for a surprise,” Glorfindel muttered and Elrond could only agree.

Redirecting his gaze towards the spectacle in the middle of the courtyard Elrond shifted nervously onto his other foot when the great eagle regarded the assembled elves with his big eyes and took a step forward. The healer held his breath when the attention was directed at him and he had to suppress the urge to move back a step. Gazing deeply into the bird’s eyes Elrond had the distinct feeling that the big bird could look straight into his soul.

After a few minutes the eagle raised his head and voiced a shrill tone. When he looked down again he inclined his head toward the healer. “I would be honoured to transport you over the mountains, Master of Imladris, although I need a few hours of rest.”

Now staggering back a step, filled with relief and new hope that he would still be able to reach his home in time, the healer nodded grateful and inclined his head. “Thank you, I will be in your debt.” The healer cringed at how hollow this sounded, but what else could he have said?

Stepping back a step the eagle let out another screech and swung up with a mighty flap of his wings. “I will be back, when I’m ready,” he cried. Elrond and Glorfindel followed the majestic flight of the great bird with their eyes until it was out of sight.

For long minutes nothing happened. Everyone was still under the spell of this stunning encounter. As the King laid a hand on the healer´s shoulder Elrond nearly jumped. “I promised I would help you and now I think you will arrive home in time.”

Blinking Elrond turned and looked at his friend’s smiling eyes. Fighting for the right words Elrond swallowed. “Thranduil, I do not know what to say. This is simply unbelievable, I’m….” he faltered, too overwhelmed with gratitude.

The King laughed. “No need to thank me. You have done so much to rescue our children and my sons this is the least I can do to repay my dept.”

Elrond looked at the King irritated. Thranduil was speaking of this matter as if it were an every day occurrence. Seeing the bewildered look on the healer’s face the King laughed again and Elrond recognized that Thranduil had teased him. Nonetheless Elrond could not suppress to ask. “How have you done this? How can you command them?”

The King’s expression grew quickly serious. He smiled when Elarinya slipped her hand into his. “I cannot command them, Elrond. It is rather a friendship of long duration and a favour repaid.”

When the King said nothing more, obliviously not willing to elaborate further Elrond sighed and accepted the explanation. Thranduil saw the sceptical and suspicious look that Glorfindel shot him and he turned his attention to the golden warrior.

“Don’t worry my friend. I’m not the sorcerer of Dol Guldur. I have simply saved a few of the ancient skills my ancestors possessed and you are no stranger to the great eagle’s service, if I remember correctly.”

Smiling smugly, Glorfindel saw no need to answer.

“Anyway”, Elrond sighed with genuine relief. “I’m very grateful for your help, and….” Again he was interrupted by the King. “Stop this Elrond. I can never repay what you have done for me during these last weeks. With this I can offer my thanks and my gratitude.”

 

……………………………………

Elrond smiled as he stepped into the Crown Prince’s chamber. Saeron was sitting astride his brother’s lap and giggled helplessly while the agile fingers of his brother tickled him mercilessly.

Recognizing the healer the elfling scrambled up carefully, remembering his former incident, and then jumped from the edge of the mattress toward the dark haired elf. Just in time Elrond was able to catch the little boy in his arms. He was pleased to see that health was so completely restored to the young elf.

“Uncle Elrond you are back,” the elfling cried and placed a kiss on the older elf’s cheek. Elrond smiled and placed the elfling on his hip. “Yes, little one, but you know why I’m here, do you not?” he asked twinkling at the big eyes gazing at him.

Quickly the bright face sobered somewhat. “I know, you and Glorfi must go home,” he whispered with a trembling bottom lip. Smiling inwardly that another child had adopted Glorfindel´s “favourite” nick name, the Elf-Lord looked earnestly at the youngster.

“That’s right, but you know that it is important that I return home. I have two sons of my own and they miss me. We should not let them wait any longer, should we?”

After a reluctant head shake from the elfling the Elf-lord sighed. Of course they had not told the child the true reason for his departure. Gazing over the head of the elfling Elrond looked at Galadhion and received a nod from Thranduil´s eldest. He knew of course the reason for this quick goodbye.

“But,” the healer said, “if you are a good boy, I will visit you in the spring and maybe I will bring my sons along,” he said. Now the face of the elfling brightened again. “Oh, I would very much like that”, the youngster replied bouncing up and down on the healer’s hip with excitement.

Sitting the child back on the bed, the healer sat in the empty chair and gazed at the eldest son of the King. Laughing Galadhion took the healer’s hand. “Do not worry, Elrond. I’m fine. In a few days I will be able to leave my bed.”

The healer smiled, knowing full well how close the young elf had come to visiting Mandos. “I’m glad to hear that,” he replied. Squeezing the healer’s hand in gratitude Galadhion looked earnestly at the dark haired elf.

“Elrond, thank you so much for your help and I would much appreciate it if you would visit us soon.” Elrond lowered his eyes. Did this phrasing indicate that Galadhion was sure that his sons could be rescued?

After regaining his composure Elrond embraced the older brother and planted a kiss on the elfling´s forehead. “Farewell,” he said with a smile and left the room quickly before he wasn’t able to.

 

……………………………..

Hours later Elrond and Glorfindel stood beside the Queen and King in the courtyard and looked into the sky. An elf posted on the lookout had brought the message that the great eagle was returning.

Elrond had made his farewell with the royal couple, all was said and done. Glorfindel would return home with their horses and belongings and the escort Thranduil had insisted upon would accompany the golden warrior, at least to the foot of the mountains.

Elrond was grateful for this offer. Glorfindel was an accomplished warrior, but the extra protection travelling through this forest that Gorfindel was unused to, set his mind at ease. Glorfindel would need more then four weeks to return to Rivendell.

When they spotted the eagle Elarinya stepped forward and embraced the dark haired Elf-Lord. “I do not know how I can thank you. I wish you a good and swift journey home. Greet Celebrían and your boys from me.”

She swallowed and Elrond knew exactly what she wanted to say. He shared her hope that he would arrive in time. The consequences were too horrible for him to even contemplate.

Turning toward the King the two elves only gazed at one another. Further words were not necessary. Nonetheless the King squeezed the arm of the healer in a last farewell. “May the Valar guide your path, Elrond. With all my heart I hope you will arrive in time. And don’t forget your promise to visit us soon.”

Inclining his head Elrond smiled. “Thank you Thranduil for this help,” the healer said and gestured at the approaching eagle still not knowing how the King had managed to obtain the eagle’s help.

When the great eagle had landed and let out a loud screech Elrond turned toward his advisor. “I wish you a safe and uneventful journey home, my friend. I will await you at the Last Homely House,” he said his voice thick with emotion.

“And I will be there,” Glorfindel replied and nodded toward the waiting bird. With a last glance at the royal couple, Elrond turned and strode toward the eagle. He had to depart now if he wanted to have any chance to rescue his sons.

He secured his bag with the modified antidote securely against his back and awkwardly reached out to mount the back of the bird.

The eagle did not move and Elrond settled himself directly behind the bird’s neck just where the wings joined on the back. He grabbed a handful of the long feathers on the back in each hand, not sure how much he would need this hold. He had never travelled like this before.

Looking a last time at the waving elves gathered in the courtyard he tightened his hold when the eagle screeched again and tensed his muscles. With a mighty flap of his wings the eagle took a few steps only to be airborne a few seconds later.

Elrond ducked low over the beast’s back and pulled his cloak tighter around him. The wind swiftly increased in volume and the temperature dropped significantly when the bird had reached its flying height. Directing his gaze toward the mountains, Elrond had only one goal: to reach home in time.

To be continued……………..





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List