Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Choices  by Laikwalâssê

Choices

Disclaimer:

See chapter 1.

Chapter 12:  troubled homecoming

Keeping a tight hold on the feathers of the great bird, Arwen looked with burning eyes at her father’s house while the two eagles descended down the steep mountain pass and aimed for the courtyard just in front of the Last Homely House.

Knowing that the eagle would not let her fall and feeling the comforting presence of her grandfather behind her she nonetheless did not release her hold until the bird had landed and folded his wings. But she could barely contain her anxiety any longer. She could hardly wait until the mighty birds had come to a stand-still, allowing the three elves to slide from their backs.

Her whole body shook with fear that she would be too late. She feared that her father and brothers had died without the chance for her to be near them; without them knowing that she had come home, that she was with them. She was nearly sick with worry that she would lose another family member.

She did not see her grandparents bow before the eagles and thank them for their help in transporting them this swiftly; since she was already running up the stairs leading to the great front entrance. She did not even think about the discourtesy she displayed. The only thought driving her was to reach her family.

The eagles accepted the thanks with a screech and stepped back. With a few flaps of their mighty wings they flew up and were soon out of sight.

The Lord and Lady of the Golden Wood were now greeted by the elves of Rivendell who had assembled in the courtyard after word had reached the hidden valley that two eagles were approaching.

The couple received the most up-to-date news, yet could get no more information besides what they already knew. The fate of the Lord of the Valley still hung in the balance. They were told that Elrond and the twins still lived but they felt sure that their time to intervene was running short. The subdued atmosphere around them and the hushed words exchanged showed this clearly. Yet the arrival of the Lothlorien elves had sparked some kind of hope in the hearts of the Rivendell inhabitants.

After giving words of comfort and squeezing many a sagged shoulder Celeborn and Galadriel turned, nearly as anxious as their granddaughter to get into the house and see for themselves what had befallen the Master of Rivendell.

Her heart filled with dread Arwen ran along the corridors of her home toward the healing wing not caring about the looks following her in bewilderment when she threw all grace and dignity to the wind in her haste.

When she rounded a corner she nearly ran full force into a pair of elves also making their way down the corridor albeit at a much slower pace. Her eyes widened when she recognized her father’s advisors. However it wasn’t the presence of the two but rather their appearance that shocked her.

Glorfindel was leaning heavily on the dark haired councillor for support and Erestor was holding himself stiffly while limping badly. She was unable to determine which one was supporting the other more.

What had happened to these two? Were they involved in the events that had left her father and brothers on the brink of death? What had happened in the house she had always considered a safe haven?

For a short moment their eyes locked and Arwen saw the same worry she felt reflected in the eyes looking back at her. “Glorfindel, Erestor, I’m sorry…” was all she managed to utter; her thoughts in too much turmoil to determine why these two elves were injured too.

She would find out eventually what had happened to her father’s advisor and troop commander, but right now she wanted nothing more then to reach the sickroom and assure herself that her father and brothers still lived. Through the bonds they shared she knew in her heart that they still struggled, but she needed the visual affirmation nonetheless.

With an apologetic glance and before either of them could say anything she rounded the two elves and resumed her dash down the corridor. Glorfindel and Erestor were apparently heading the same way and she would speak to them later. They would understand anyway.

However when she reached the huge double doors leading into the healing wing she slowed her pace and looked in surprise at the elf standing there. At least one she held dear was up and was sound.

Not even wondering what Legolas was doing in Rivendell, Arwen greeted the woodland prince with a fierce hug, words not necessary between them. After drawing back she swallowed noticing the look in the concerned face of her long time friend.

Feeling the despair flowing in waves from the young archer and feeling the tension in his body Arwen directed pleading eyes at her friend. Reading the unspoken question easily Legolas squeezed both of her hands.

“They are still alive, Arwen, but they are slipping away with every passing minute.” Swallowing back the bile that rose in her throat and fighting back the tears Arwen nodded mutely.

“Will you go in with me?” she whispered, motioning at the room behind the doors.

“Of course,” the blond elf answered as he turned to follow the dark haired maiden, though it was with a feeling of apprehension. He was no family member after all and felt that he was intruding into what he considered family affairs. He shook his head. He was already involved in this and if Arwen needed his support he would gladly give it.

Making up her mind Arwen pushed the doors open and hurried down the short corridor to the rooms usually reserved for family members. The door to that room stood open and her step faltered momentarily when she got sight of the three figures occupying the beds. No other healer was in the room at the moment which made the situation appear all the more desperate.

With a cry of dismay Arwen rushed into the room and quickly sat on the bed nearest the door, fearing that her legs would support her no longer. Tenderly she caressed her father’s cheek while tears of fear and frustration ran down her cheeks.

She shuddered when she looked at the heavily bandaged torso of her father not understanding why someone had attacked him thus.

Legolas lingered at the doorway not wanting to intrude on the intimate moment but staying near enough in case his aid should be required.

After looking at her equally lifeless brothers the dark haired elf rose and directed her watery eyes at the prince. “What has happened here, Legolas?” she asked, not so sure anymore if she wanted to hear the truth.

The prince of Mirkwood swallowed. What should or rather what could he tell her? He had barely enough information to comprehend fully what had happened. He only knew the small pieces of events Erestor had told him about on their journey toward Rivendell and he was not sure if he was the right person to tell her.

However before Legolas had the chance to answer, they heard a commotion outside the door and looked up. Glorfindel and Erestor had managed to reach the sickroom and with a near sob Arwen rushed into Glorfindel´s outstretched arms.

The blond warrior enfolded the young elf in his embrace and tried to impart some comfort by simply holding her close. No sooner had he cradled her to his chest then the slender body began to shake.

Legolas looked with worry at his friend understanding her sorrow all too well. He averted his eyes and swallowed the lump forming in his throat. The sorrow of this family he had come to love like his own was tearing at his heart.

Erestor glanced at Legolas but remained standing in the background in case the young prince would need someone for comfort too. He would wait however until this need was requested. He knew how proud the young elf was and did not want to compromise him.

Her face still buried in her mentor’s chest Arwen looked up when hurried footsteps could be heard coming closer from down the corridor. Arwen was relieved to see her grandparents rushing into the room while Legolas shifted uncomfortably, feeling more and more that he should not be a part of this gathering.

While Celeborn greeted Elrond’s advisors and afterwards the prince of Mirkwood Galadriel only acknowledged them with a nod and hurried over to the three beds standing side by side. Briefly she sat on each bed and either touched a forehead or laid her hand on a chest. Her eyes were closed and Legolas could almost feel the power she imparted into each seemingly lifeless body.

Just when the prince of Mirkwood wanted to discreetly sneak out of the room to give the family their privacy, Galadriel rose and fixed all of them with a stern gaze.

Looking at her still crying granddaughter the elven lady cleared her throat. “Glorfindel, would you please take Arwen out of here and stay with her. Erestor, would you enlighten my husband and me as to what has happened. And Legolas, would you please stay; I might require your help.”

Surprised not to be dismissed, Legolas stopped and looked with a mixture of apprehension and shock at the powerful elf. What did she expect from him? What could he possibly achieve that others could not?

Of course; he would do anything to help the elves he had come to love as a second family but nonetheless a slight shiver ran down his spine when he saw that even the golden lady’s hands shook lightly.

Not having the courage or the heart to reject her he only nodded and returned to the room while Glorfindel left with Arwen still clinging to him. Legolas looked at the other remaining elves to determine if they knew what Galadriel intended. No one had minded her commanding tone, in fact they were relieved that some one was still able to function and keep some control.

Sitting down in a chair opposite the three beds Legolas looked up when Erestor began to tell what had happened not two days ago. For the first time Legolas got a full overview of the events which had resulted in the disastrous ending where the three half-elves were no longer reachable by them.

He was shocked to learn about how brutally the Elf-Lord had been attacked and heard clearly the regret in the voice of the advisor that so much time had elapsed between the attack and when Lord Elrond’s wounds had been discovered.

It shocked him even more that the brothers had tried to reach their father and were now also lost to them, like the Elf-lord.

How the four men had managed to commit their crime in the first place and how they had achieved an escape with no one noticing still remained a mystery because neither Erestor nor Glorfindel had been in the valley when it happened.

Galadriel had not interrupted while Celeborn had asked a few questions; but after the report all was quiet for some time. Legolas wondered why no one had shown up in the room, not even one of the ever present healers. Surely Galadriel had requested not to be disturbed.

After briefly checking on the three half-elves again, Galadriel’s gaze was directed at the young archer. Legolas swallowed when he looked into the ageless eyes and could only imagine how troubled the heart of the elven lady must be.

If the worst would come to pass then Galadriel would lose three family members at once, a blow Legolas was sure not even she would have the strength to overcome after the loss of her only child many centuries before.

Galadriel’s voice jerked Legolas back to attention. “Legolas, first I want to try and reach Lord Elrond wherever his mind has retreated to, if this is still possible.”

Her voice briefly faltered and Legolas had to swallow at the implications. If she would not be able to reach the Elf-lord and anchor him in this world then the twins would be lost too, one way or the other.

“If I’m unable to reach one of them I will need your help,” she said looking intently at the young archer.

Barely able to return the Lady’s intense gaze Legolas´ thoughts raced. What could his presence change that the Lady’s power could not achieve?

Seeing the young elf’s frown Galadriel actually smiled. “Do not doubt your worth, young one,” she said. Yet her statement did nothing to make Legolas relax. However, it was not his position to ask the Lady’s doings. If she required his help he would do so gladly even if he had not the slightest idea how to do so.

After a brief and hopeful look at Lord Celeborn who was still standing silently near the door Legolas redirected his gaze to Galadriel knowing that he would get no help from the Elven-lord. Galadriel was the major player here.

What would Galadriel do? How to reach a spirit, shocked by terrible wounds such as the Lord of Imladris was forced to endure? Surely it would be a mind’s battle Legolas could only imagine.

Anticipating and at the same time dreading an answer to his silent questions Legolas watched closely when Galadriel sat down on Lord Elrond’s bed again. She closed her eyes while her right hand rested lightly on the Half-elf’s forehead. Lord Celeborn stepped behind his wife to rest his right hand lightly on her shoulder undoubtedly to support her.

The young prince was fascinated by the power he could feel was being put forth and how it could be commanded at need. His father, being one of the ancient elves as well, could also wield some old magic albeit he displayed it very rarely and then with as few spectators as possible and great care. Legolas had seen it only twice in his life.

Redirecting his thoughts towards Galadriel he looked intently at Lord Elrond but could detect nothing different from the last time he had observed the still form.

If Legolas had expected something spectacular to happen he was disappointed. With a quick look at his friends, resting right beside their father, he saw that the three figures lay as motionless as before.

Then he scolded himself inwardly. What had he thought would happen? That all three half-elves would open their eyes and walk from the room?

After two more hours had passed, although Legolas was unsure of his time estimation, he began to wonder what was happening.

He was slowly feeling more and more uneasy due to the lack of knowledge about if anything was progressing at all. Then Galadriel suddenly opened her eyes and looked at him.

Startled Legolas swallowed, hoping he had not disturbed the Lady’s concentration somehow. “Don’t worry,” Galadriel said and Legolas felt like an elfling caught doing something he shouldn’t.

Seeing the disturbing expression on the Lady’s face however, Legolas dreaded what would come next. “I could not reach them. They are too far gone by now,” she whispered closing her eyes in despair.

Legolas shuddered and tears formed in his eyes. Was all hope lost now? But then he remembered her earlier words. If she could achieve nothing she would require his help. But what could he possibly do that she could not?

To be continued………………………





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List