Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Choices  by Laikwalâssê

Choices

Disclaimer:

See chapter 1.

Chapter 16:  not all hope lost?

 

When Elladan had nearly reached his parents standing side by side on the shore and beckoning him to come closer he stopped. Over the din of the river he could suddenly make out another noise that was not there a minute before.

Turning his head he tried to determine what he was hearing. He was sure now he heard faint voices calling something but the sound was so low that he could not discern the words.

The older twin held up his hand when he felt Elrohir step up behind him a question on his lips. Closing his eyes Elladan stood stock still and listened into the darkness beyond the river. Frustrated he shook his head.

Maybe the voices were calling something that was important for them but the veil that muffled all sounds here made it nearly impossible to understand the words clearly.

Taking a few steps back and nearly back to the water, Elladan´s eyes went suddenly wide. The words being called were names; their names...Elladan, Elrohir and Elrond.

And now he knew why he had so much trouble understanding them. The three names were all called at once but from different sources and instantly he knew who was calling for them.

What was happening here? Trying to pierce the darkness Elladan’s heartbeat increased. How had the members of his family managed to let their voices drift into this world?

Despite the awkward situation he smiled. Galadriel! His grandmother was not one of the most powerful elves in all of Middle Earth for nothing!

But then he frowned. Had he been but a few paces further away from the river he would not have made out the calling voices at all if not for the one voice that sounded somehow different. It was not one of his family he was sure, but nonetheless a voice he knew all too well and it was as dear to him as the others.

He did not know why, but the voice of his best friend could bridge the chasm between the living and the dead.

And something else was different. Legolas was not just calling their names, he was pleading for them to come back, was telling stories and events, was speaking with all he had to offer without thinking it over.

Where the voices of his family made them listen and held them back from slipping further away, Legolas’ voice showed them the way back.

With surprise and new hope Elladan whirled around and looked into his twin’s wide open eyes. Elrohir had also understood what was being vocalized and had come to the same conclusion.

Somehow their loved ones had managed to find a bridge to this world and were guiding them home.

Embracing his brother in joy Elladan sobered as quickly as he had been joyous just a moment before. What would this change? Their Ada was not willing to return and this new situation would not change his mind.

Feeling his brother’s touch on his forearm Elladan looked up. “We have to try,” Elrohir whispered and Elladan nodded.

Yes, Elrohir was right. He would not depart from here without their father even if he had to drag him back without his consent; but at the same time he knew that he would and could never do that. The grimace on his brother’s face told him that the same thought had occurred to him.

However he had to try. Just when he started to go back to the beach Elladan stopped abruptly a second time when he realized his father was standing no more than two feet away from them. Elrohir let out his breath in a rush.

Elladan swallowed and regarded the Elf-lord standing before him carefully. What had happened? Surely his father had also heard the voices and realized what they meant. Or had he come to say goodbye?

Fighting down the lump in his throat Elladan´s gaze wandered past his father to the beach and then he gasped. The beach had vanished as had his mother. The unreal illusion was gone. They were standing in the diffuse twilight that did not reveal much of their surroundings again.

A similar gasp from his brother told him that he had not imagined the vanished illusion. The brothers looked around but could not see the scene that had drawn their father and themselves away from the riverbank anywhere.

Looking at his father Elladan let out a sigh of relief when he saw the Elf-lord smiling. “I think it’s time to go home,” he said and walked forward to embrace both of his sons at once. Struggling for their composure the twins returned the hug with great relief.

Elrohir wiped a tear from his face and for the first time since being here he looked carefully at his father. Gone were the haggard appearance and the pale countenance they had been confronted with after the attack. No wound or trace of the ordeal remained. Their father was glowing and looked healthy, as if the attack had never happened.

Lowering his head Elrohir swallowed. As happy as he was by the decision of his father to come back with them; he was equally troubled by the knowledge of what awaited him upon their return; a badly battered body and a return of the feeling of loss without his beloved wife by his side.

Tilting the chin of his youngest son up with his finger Elrond smiled. “Do not worry, I will manage. It was an illusion. I’m glad to come back and I’m not alone. I have my children and many other friends I’m grateful for. Your mother will wait for me and one day we will be truly united.”

Elrohir could only nod, not trusting his voice right now. When he looked up and into the smiling face of his brother all three half-elves turned and quickly stepped into the water.

His senses focused towards the voices, using them as guidance, Elladan looked down with irritation when he was barely able to lift his foot to take another step. It was more difficult than before. The water seemed more restraining than when they were crossing it earlier. It was still only knee deep but hindered him nearly as much as a rope would.

Turning his head and looking at his brother told him that Elrohir struggled like himself but the frown on his father’s face caused his heartbeat to increase. “Ada, what is wrong here?” he asked when their eyes met.

“We must cross this river quickly”, Elrond answered but Elladan could clearly hear the warning undertone and the urging in his father’s voice.

Taking another straining step Elladan wondered what had happened to the river. His earlier contemplantations returned nearly painful. This was no water at all. The river was a border, a line not to cross, at any rate not if you wanted to return.

He had the distinct feeling that they had lingered too long, that the choice to return was no longer theirs. With a cry of dismay he redoubled his efforts but the more he struggled the more restraining the water became.

He turned his head sharply when he heard Elrohir´s cry. “The voices”, his brother shouted. “I can barely hear them anymore.”

Redirecting his attention Elladan trembled. Elrohir was right. The rushing of the little river had increased so much that they could barely hear any other sound.

The river became more and more a barrier they would not be able to cross. Only the voice of Legolas could still be heard from afar. Even the darkness beyond the river had increased.

When Elrohir stumbled and fell into the water Elladan was unable to take one step to help his brother. His feet were nearly immobile now. Every move was only possible with the utmost exertion.

His gaze trained on Elrohir and watching to make sure that his brother’s head was still above the surface, Elladan briefly wondered how this would end. Would they be forever frozen in the river, or would they have to turn back and vanish in the twilight or the Halls of Mandos with no chance to return to life?

Seeing his brother slipping more and more into the awful substance the older twin cried out with frustration. The water was nearly solid now, movement was no longer possible.

Was it possible for Elrohir to slip under the surface? And what would happen then? Would he drown or suffocate?

While tears of strain and fear were rolling down his face Elladan started when he felt a hand grab his firmly. He turned his head and saw his father standing not a foot away from him, his other hand firmly gripping the hand of his brother. How had Elrond managed to move and get next to them?

Blinking at his father Elladan let out another cry but this time in awe. The Elf-lord was glowing, but not with the faint light with which all elves shone. He was burning from the inside and the light was so bright that Elladan had to avert his eyes.

Elrohir had managed to come back to his feet while Elladan still felt as if rooted to the spot.

After a few minutes the bright light dimmed and an illuminating faint glow began spreading making the gloomy surroundings even more unreal. And now Elladan understood. His father had called upon the powers of Vilya and the powerful ring had responded to its master.

Feeling a tugging on his hand Elladan watched in surprise when his father slowly moved one foot in front of the other leaving him no choice but to follow along with the firm grip that was nearly crushing his fingers.

Feeling that he would fall over, Elladan realized that the water was not as restraining as before. Although it was still very tough and sticky, it was no longer solid.

Straining his tired muscles he managed to lift his foot and take a step. Looking to the side Elrohir had also managed to stumble behind their father who never relinquished his hold on their hands.

After over an hour the three Half-elves stepped out of the water and onto solid ground that was only beneath their feet. Completely out of breath and tired beyond anything they had ever experienced they sank to the ground unable to speak, and just concentrated on breathing.

After a while Elladan looked up into the face of his father. His glow had returned to normal standards and the ring’s light had become invisible as before. To his dismay his father’s eyes were closed tightly, his exhaustion appearing even greater that his own if that was even possible.

Unable to hear any voice still calling Elladan hung his head. With a trembling hand he stroked the hair of his brother’s head which was leaning against his shoulder. Could he no longer hear the voices because his body had shut down? Or had the calling stopped altogether now?

Was his father’s hunched figure and apathy a sign that they had fought and lost in the end after all? Was their way back now closed forever? Unable to hold his eyes open even a second longer Elladan sank to the ground joining his brother and father in unconsciousness.

To be continued………………………….  





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List