Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Choices  by Laikwalâssê

Choices

Disclaimer:

See chapter 1.

Chapter 17:  epilogue

Slowly his senses returned to awareness. Only when he felt a steadying hand at his back did Legolas register that his wandering mind had found the way back to consciousness. After slowly opening his eyes, he blinked several times to focus his still swaying vision and sighed, relieved, when the room stopped spinning around him.

He was still sitting between Arwen and Galadriel. With a pounding heart he looked around the circle. All of the other elves still had their eyes closed, their chanting, however, had stopped.

Had they achieved anything? He could not say if this mental voyage was successful. He had no real memory of what had happened. Releasing the hands of his neighbours he waited patiently until the elves around him opened their eyes.

Legolas swallowed. Why was everyone silent? A bad feeling was growing in his stomach. He felt that the silence did not bode anything good. Not wanting to be the one asking questions to which all the others seemed to know the answers, he held his tongue.

His anxiety was relieved a moment later when Galadriel opened her eyes and looked around.

“We can do no more. Now it is up to them.”

Legolas’ head jerked up. What was this supposed to mean? Had they achieved something, or had they failed? Frustrated, he directed his gaze at the three Half-elves still lying on the bed.

His heart sank. Nothing had changed. Master Elrond and the twins had not responded to their attempt to call them back. They looked as pale and lifeless as before. Lowering his eyes he swallowed again, this time to fight down the tears that threatened to fall.

“Not all is lost yet,” Legolas heard Celeborn say. He raised his eyes to look at the Elf-lord and was surprised that the words were directed at him. Gazing intently at the older elf, Legolas tried desperately to judge if the words were only meant to comfort him or if there was really still hope for the peredhil.

Lord Celeborn’s face, however, remained emotionless and it was impossible for him to read anything in it. To understand the great Lord would require more familiarity with him.

Arwen was the first to rise and Legolas followed her moves with his eyes. She walked over to her father; kissed his brow, and then did the same to her brothers. Her face was as unreadable to him as that of Lord Celeborn. He wondered if her face reflected hope or despair.

Just when he thought he could not stand the uncertainty any longer Galadriel touched him on the shoulder and he nearly jumped.

“Give them some time,” she said and Legolas could only nod.

Slowly the elves cleared the room and after a last look at the Half-elves Legolas followed.

Feeling forlorn, the blond elf stood in the main corridor contemplating where to go. He was not sure if he wanted to talk to anyone in the family right now and he did not want to be an added burden to the grieving family.

Making up his mind he headed to the one place where he always found comfort. In the large gardens he could release some of his tension. He had not seen where the other family members had gone when they left the healing room.

Climbing an old oak the young archer melted into the embrace of the huge tree. Closing his eyes he opened his senses to the song of the ancient being. He attuned his soul to the music vibrating up and down the trunk and regained some sense of calm and composure.

He must have dozed off for it was already darkening when he was jerked upright by a silent call. He looked down and saw Lindir, Master Elrond’s assistant, standing at the base of the tree.

Quickly he descended down to step in front of the slender dark haired elf. Legolas swallowed. What had happened in the meantime? Had joy returned to the peaceful valley, or had utter despair finally taken up residence?

“Lady Galadriel is requesting your presence,” Lindir said abruptly and before Legolas had any chance to judge the mood of the other elf, Lindir had turned and headed back to the house.

Sighing, Legolas straightened his clothing and followed the minstrel, dreading what would await him. While hastening toward the house Legolas looked around. He could see but a few elves going about their daily chores. There were no visitors in the garden, no singers, and no couples sitting on one of the many shaded benches. He wondered if this was a good or a bad sign.

Shaking his head he directed his gaze forward. He would face whatever awaited him in the next few minutes. He was tired of this anxiety. He had to know, now and finally.

Reaching the healing ward Lindir smiled and gestured him inside. Had the elf actually smiled? Legolas’ heartbeat quickened. Hastening his steps he quickly walked down the corridor. Reaching the door to the sickroom he stopped at the sight that greeted him.

Elladan and Elrohir were sitting next to their father leaning with their backs against the headboard of the large bed. Legolas briefly closed his eyes and sent a silent thankful prayer to the Valar when he realized that the Elf-lord was also awake, and speaking quietly with the older twin. Lord Celeborn and Lady Galadriel were standing at the window watching the scene fondly.

Letting out his breath, a real smile, the first for a long time, appeared on the blond elf’s face. They had achieved the impossible. Lord Elrond’s wandering feä had found its way back into his body.

The soft sound made Arwen, who was also sitting on her father’s bed, turn. She smiled at her friend but rose quickly when Legolas made a move to leave the room. He did not want to intrude at this intimate moment.

But Arwen was having none of it. Quickly she grabbed his hand and dragged him toward the bed. Before Legolas could protest or wriggle free, Master Elrond looked up at the young archer.

“My Lord, I’m glad to see you awake,” Legolas said with a slight bow. While awake, the Elf-lord still looked very pale and tired. But he extended his hand and beckoned Legolas to come nearer. Stepping up to the bed the dark haired elf grasped the slender hand of the archer.

“Legolas, my sons have already told me how you aided my advisors and helped to arrest the men. But most of all I’m grateful for your help to guide me back. I’m in your debt.”

The young elf was held by the gaze of the Elf-lord. Legolas was stunned speechless. What had he done that was so remarkable?

“We also are grateful, mellon,” Elladan said seriously and Elrohir nodded. “Your presence gave the unity enough voice to break through into the shadow world. Without your help we probably would not be here.”

Legolas looked aghast from one dark haired elf to the other. ‘Could they please stop this?’ he thought. ‘He had done this to help friends he loved dearly and no thank you was required. Could they quit thanking him now before he fell apart?’

When he heard Lord Celeborn chuckle quietly Legolas relaxed. The silver haired elf patted his shoulder lightly in passing. With a wink toward his family he left the room.

Seeing the fatigue in the eyes of her son-in-law Galadriel stepped closer. She knew that despite the joyous moment the three Half-elves, and especially Elrond, were far from recovered.

Indeed, too tired to hold his eyes open much longer, Elrond looked briefly at all present and expressed his thanks where no words were necessary. The twins followed their father’s example and sank into a much needed healing sleep. After all the other elves had left the room Galadriel closed the door quietly.

Arwen accompanied Legolas to his chambers. At the door she kissed his cheek lightly and wished him a good rest. Only now did he register how tired he really was. After hugging her he closed the door and sank onto the large bed with a sigh. Before his head touched the pillow he was fast asleep.

Joy had returned to the valley, and all of the inhabitants of Rivendell rejoiced in the fortunate outcome from the tragic happenings of the past week.

 

…………………………………..

Over the next two weeks the Master of Rivendell made good progress and the healers supervising his recovery were satisfied with the pace of his healing.

The twins, while not injured physically and back on their feet much sooner, made sure that their father accepted the advice of his healers and his staff.

Also on their way to recovery, Glorfindel and Erestor often enjoyed the last rays of the autumn sun on a large balcony overlooking the valley. Long talks between themselves and with their Lord allowed all of them to come to terms with what had happened.

With Glorfindel and Erestor still not in shape to travel, Celeborn had volunteered to transport the two surviving men to Ardent and deliver them into the mayor’s justice.

When Calen learned about the crimes the two men had committed, he instantly ordered them to be placed under arrest until a final judgement could be rendered. He left no doubt that these deeds could only be answered by execution.

Although he did not agree with this punishment, Celeborn was not surprised by it when he learned that one of the original merchants who had been murdered by the thieves had been Thoren, Mayor Calen’s son. Celeborn did not object however. The men’s business was their own.

Leaving the little town quickly after assuring the mayor that the relationship between the elves from Rivendell and the little town would not suffer because of the actions of the criminals, Celeborn returned to Imladris eager to see how his family was faring.

He could feel that the Master of Rivendell was nearly recovered the moment he rode into the hidden valley. The serenity and peacefulness that the vale was known for engulfed and revived him the moment he crossed over the border.

After reporting to Erestor he quickly walked down the long corridor toward the healing ward. He smiled at the sight that greeted him when he entered the room appointed for family members.

Elrond was sitting on a comfortable settee, surrounded by his children, Galadriel and Glorfindel. His wife rose and welcomed him into the group. Even the Prince of Mirkwood seemed at peace and relaxed at this family gathering.

After all had taken their seats again Elrond listened intently to a report of all that had happened since the attack. Every participant shared his part of the story and Elrond’s emotions veered from horror to sorrow to incredulity.

After all of the details were shared and the twins had related what they had experienced in their foray into the grey world between life and death, an awkward silence stretched out. The Lord of the House gazed at each elf in the group long and intently.

“I do not know if I will ever find the right words to express my thanks to all of you, but I’m very grateful for what every one of you has done for me. Without your help I would not be here….” His voice faltered, but more words were not necessary.

Seeing her son-in-law struggle to contain his composure Galadriel cleared her throat. “I think I speak for all of us; we are glad that it turned out well and you decided to return to us.”

Waiting until Elrond had raised his eyes she continued. “Your time has not yet come, peredhil,” she said with a stern but compassionate undertone in her voice.

“A toast,” said Glorfindel, raising his glass and holding it aloft while all of the others followed his actions. “The darkness has once again been defeated and the light has prevailed.”

Drinking to the words said by the Golden warrior, and agreeing with all their hearts the elves then left the three peredhil, knowing that some words still needed to be said between them that were not meant for other ears.

After the three peredhil shared their experiences, hopes and fears Elladan retrieved his father’s circlet that Legolas had returned to him earlier, placing it into his father’s lap.

“Welcome back, Ada,” the twins whispered in unison.

The End

A/N:

I want to thank all that have followed this story and reviewed. I appreciated every comment very much. Erulisse and Selene, thank you for making this readable.

Lai





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List