Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Glimpses of Middle-earth  by Linda Hoyland

Prompt – Mercurial Monday


Title – Weary beyond Joy or Sorrow

Author: Linda Hoyland
Characters/Pairing: Aragorn,Elladan Elrohir
Rating: G
Warnings: None
Book/Source: LOTR book-verse
Disclaimer - These characters all belong to the estate of J.R.R. Tolkien. This story was written for pleasure and not for financial gain.

Aragorn swayed on his feet. Even the scent of athelas hardly refreshed him now. He could not recall ever having been so weary before.

Elladan caught him as he almost fell while Elrohir held a cup of water to his lips. ”Come, Estel, it is time you rested," he said.

“Others still need me,” Aragorn protested. “I am well enough.”

“Everyone has limits, you have reached yours,” said Elladan.”What other man could confront the Dark Lord, ride the Paths of the Dead, board the Corsair ships, fight a battle, and then spend most of the night healing the sick?”

Reluctantly Aragorn allowed them to assist him to his tent where Elrohir removed his outer garments and boots, while Elladan mixed him a soothing drink and held it to his lips. Then they settled him down on a bed of soft furs and pulled the covers around him.

“Goodnight, little brother, ” said Elladan kissing him lightly on the brow.

“These past days we have seem the Ranger become the King,” said Elrohir, doing likewise.

“Many made it possible,” Aragorn protested.

“But no man worked harder, nor more deserves their rest tonight,” Elladan smiled. “Sleep well little brother. We shall be outside.”

A/N This was inspired by Raksha's "The Tides of the World"






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List