Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Glimpses of Middle-earth  by Linda Hoyland

Prompt -Through the Window

Title: Glad Tidings
Author: Linda Hoyland
Characters/Pairing: Aragorn, Faramir
Rating: PG
Warnings: None
Book/Source: LOTR book-verse
Disclaimer - These characters all belong to the estate of J.R.R. Tolkien. This story was written for pleasure and not for financial gain.

Faramir awoke with a start. For a moment he wondered where he was, before recalling the events of the night before. He had been helping Éowyn with a difficult foaling, when he had tripped on a slippery patch of straw and sprained his ankle. His wife had assisted him to his study, suggesting that he sleep on the couch rather than attempt to climb the stairs. Éowyn had then hurried back to the stables.

Sunlight streamed through the window. Faramir sat up, grimacing at the pain in his ankle. To his surprise, the King was standing outside, smiling at him broadly. He knew Aragorn was due to visit, but had not expected him until the morrow.

With some difficulty, Faramir arose from the couch, tottered unsteadily towards the window and then opened it.

“It is good to see you,” the Steward said, “However, I did not expect you yet. Is all well in the City?”

“Minas Tirith thrives in Arwen’s capable hands,” said Aragorn. ”Your lady summoned me early, on account both of your accident, and because Iavas was having great difficulties giving birth.

“How is my poor Iavas?” Faramir enquired anxiously.

“Your mare has two healthy foals.” Aragorn announced.

“Healthy twin foals? That is almost unheard of!” Faramir exclaimed.

“It seems that Iavas’ sire was part Mearh, which explains it,” said Aragorn. “The mare and her foals seem to have weathered last night far better than you, my friend!”

Faramir grinned ruefully. ”I shall never hear the last of it from Éowyn!”

“At least you tripped rather than fainted,” said Aragorn. ”I have known that happen! Now if you will just summon a servant to let me in, I will bind your ankle then you can see the foals.”

Faramir smiled back. It promised to be a lovely day.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List