Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Revolution  by Laikwalâssê

Revolution

 
 

Chapter 15:  a line crossed

With a troubled heart Sinaht looked again into the sky to judge the night hour. They had to move on if they wanted to reach the gathering place at the agreed time. He directed his gaze at the middle of the clearing where the group had spend the last hours and smiled sadly.

Curling closely against his older brother, the youngest prince of Mirkwood had a firm hold on Galadhion, even in his sleep. After his outburst and their tearful reunion Galadhion had needed a lot of time and much convincing to calm the child down again. He had done his best to reassure the boy but had been unsuccessful in getting the young child to leave him alone for long.

What worried Sinaht most though was that neither he nor Galadhion were able to draw from the elfling why he was convinced that his father was hurt.  Legolas had never elaborated further then his initial disturbing statement. They did not even know if the King’s hurt was bodily or if his torment was of a mental nature.

Anyway in whatever manner they tortured the King, Sinaht was worried about the fact that Legolas has learned of this at all. The chief of the Home Guard knew his King as a very self-restrained elf ever determined to mask his feelings. He would never let anyone, least of all his youngest son, witness his feelings.

Yet exactly this had happened and this did not bode well. Was their resistance for naught in the end? What if Thoran killed King Thranduil? What victory would they have then?

When the dawn was heralding the new day Sinaht rose and joined the Crown prince. Galadhion was studying a map. He did this with one hand while the other was stroking the fair hair of the elfling sleeping beside him.

Galadhion looked up and nodded at the unvoiced request of his father’s warrior. With great care and with the hope that the boy would sleep on until the preparations for continuing their journey were completed, he begun untangling himself from his brother’s hold.

However at the unavoidable jostling and with the first noise the awakening camp was making, Legolas opened his eyes. He looked fearfully at his brother attempting to stride away to talk to the sentries.

“Galadhion?” he asked while scrambling to his feet. However, before he could cling to his brother, Isiwen, Sinaht’s wife caught the boy up in her arms. “Good morning, little one. I see you have slept some. That’s good. Come with me and join the other children. We are having some breakfast.”

Sinaht nodded toward his wife and sent his thanks through their bond. The immediate return of her love did much to straighten his shoulders. Legolas was about to protest but the reassuring wink from his brother and the loving arms still around him convinced him to go with the mother of his best friend.

Sinaht took a deep breath and was about to join Galadhion and the group of sentries, when they heard the sound of hoof beats coming through the underbrush.

Galadhion whirled around and readied his bow. Although they could discern that elves were nearing it would not hurt to be careful. Sinaht gave his wife a sign and she urged the other woman and children in the back of the clearing behind some fallen logs.

Sinaht and Galadhion along with the other warriors lined up shoulder to shoulder and awaited the oncoming riders. When the first elf came into sight Sinaht narrowed his eyes. He instantly recognized Galion, one of his lieutenants.

Behind the officer rode another warrior, one of the southern border guards, Sinaht hoped he was remembering correctly, although the elf’s name eluded him at the moment. He did not even think about the odd combination of a border guard riding with a warrior of the Home Guard. Normally their routines rarely allowed them to work together.

Galadhion and the sentries had also recognized who was racing towards them yet their eyes were kept alert, focused on the oncoming elves, their bows not yet relaxed. However when it seemed obvious that the two riders were not being chased down the path and that their group was not being threatened the few defenders lowered their bows and waited for the lieutenant to dismount.

After acknowledging his prince with a hasty bow Galion stepped in front of his superior. “My Lord, I bring grave tidings.” With this he retrieved a parchment from his pouch on his belt. The other warrior had dismounted as well and was speaking comfortingly to the heavily breathing beasts. When the guard lowered his eyes Sinaht frowned but grabbed the parchment and opened the ribbon holding it rolled up. He held it sideways so that Galadhion, who had stepped next to him, could read over his shoulder.

The gasp that escaped Sinaht and the grunt from the Crown Prince did not cause the messenger to look up. He was aware of the parchment’s contents did not have to look into the eyes of his chief and the Crown prince to know what had shocked them.

Galadhion took the letter from Sinaht´s hand and re-read it:

Commander Sinaht,

 

Since your King is unwilling to order his errant warriors back and you are also unwilling to surrender your troops to serve under my command time and again, I’ve decided to remind you who IS in command now. Where the elf path crosses the river I’ve left something that will hopefully make you change your mind. When you read this it will already be too late to rescue the two poor souls who have paid for your crimes. If you have any contact with the King’s missing sons then I’m sure you will forward my message.

 

Thoran

 

His face a stony mask, Galadhion looked up when Sinaht addressed the messenger. “Galion, I guess you have already been there. Tell us what you saw.”

The guard swallowed but straightened his shoulders. Commander Sinaht had indirectly hinted at the fact that although the letter was addressed to him, it had obviously been opened beforehand.

“My Lord, the parchment was given to my father through a messenger and while not knowing your exact whereabouts and presuming that it could be something important, he opened the letter,” he said feeling the need to explain.

Sinaht only nodded and waved the remark away. Galion’s father Thalan was one of the four commanders assigned to oversee sections of the great forest.  He was a long time friend, as were the other three, and a most trusted confidant who received his orders directly from him or the King. Given the circumstances and Thalan’s fears, it was forgivable that he opened the letter, even though it had not been addressed to him.

“Continue!” he ordered with barely restrained patience. The young elf did not even blink at the strained tone of his chief.

“My father ordered the warriors at hand to depart immediately for the appointed place. With me there were six members of the northern section including Meldiron. We reached the clearing by nightfall.”

Sinaht nodded again. Meldiron was the commander of the western section. Then he clenched his jaw. He would surely not like what the young elf had to report next.

And he was proven right. The young warrior was not able to hold his gaze any longer. With lowered eyes he continued.

“When we entered the clearing we saw instantly what Thoran had meant with his threat. Bound to two huge trees were the bodies of Threlan and Erelas….”

The gasp from Galadhion interrupted the monotone flood of words. Threlan was the son of Meldiron and Erelas was the son of Sadron, commander of the eastern section. Thoran had knowingly chosen two elves who were close relations of warriors who held key positions under King Thranduil’s reign. How he had managed this was not important now.

After looking at the Crown Prince with a heavy sigh Sinaht directed his gaze back at the lieutenant.

“Please continue Galion.” 

“We had no chance to ascertain if they were still alive because we were instantly attacked by two giant spiders hovering behind the trees. We made quick work of the beasts, yet we also discovered that they had already feasted. What we had not seen from the distance was all the more obvious when we hurried over to check on the prisoners. The spiders had sucked them out alive. They were barely recognizable. Thank the Belain they had already heeded the call of Mandos before we arrived.”

Sinaht did not even blink. He had suffered many cruelties during the war against Sauron and the long years of siege at Barad-Dûr Yet, back then you could always justify the death of comrades because of the nature of war and so protect your soul from getting wounded too deeply.

But there was no such justification for such an act and Thoran had clearly crossed a line now.

Galadhion, on the other hand, did swallow hard to hold his emotions in check. Sinaht knew that the Crown prince was a friend of the two young elves and that the message had hit him hard.

Then everyone who had doubted Galadhion’s firmness was suddenly disappointed. Galadhion was with every fibre a son of his father and his next words showed this clearly.

“Galion, thank you for your report. I will depart immediately and meet with the four section commanders. Thoran wants a war and he will get one.”

The lieutenant bowed hastily while the prince was already turning away. “As you wish my Lord. The Commanders have already arrived at the gathering place.”

Galadhion nodded while facing his friend. “Sinaht please break camp immediately and lead the woman and children quickly toward the agreed place. I will ride ahead of you and make sure that all is ready.”

“Galion, Ralan,” he addressed the two guards; “you will accompany this group and increase their protection!”

Before anyone had a chance to reply Galadhion had swung up on Galion’s horse and vanished into the trees. Sinaht shook his head. Although it was already morning he was not comfortable that Galadhion had taken no guard with him. The crown prince however was more then capable of taking care of himself and speed was now of the essence Thoran had to be stopped.

With a sigh Sinaht turned, already thinking hard about how he could explain the hasty departure of his older brother to a little, frightened boy.

 

To be continued……………….

 

Thalan – commander of the north section of Mirkwood

Sadron - commander of the east section of Mirkwood

Lathron - commander of the south section of Mirkwood

Meldrion – commander of the west section of Mirkwood





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List