Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Revolution  by Laikwalâssę

Chapter 16:  return

Elladan directed a quick glance at Elrohir riding next to him. The twin brothers and the Prince had just crossed the border into Mirkwood, and as always the older twin felt the oppressive atmosphere of the great forest immediately.

He had difficulty understanding how the wood elves could endure the twilight produced by the ever growing shadow that spread inexorably from the fortress of the Necromancer. Yet, it was their home and they would never give it up, even though they had already lost their freedom to roam freely through the once peaceful green forest.

Now, with the vague idea what had happened to the regime here, the forest seemed even more oppressive then ever. In contrast to his brother, Elrohir appeared unaffected. But Elladan knew better. He clearly sensed the same uneasiness coming through their bond.

When Saeron reined in his mount the twins followed swiftly, with no more than a whispered word to their beasts. The Prince had closed his eyes and was listening.

Knowing that the wood elves were much finer attuned with the trees and the creatures around them, the brothers did not even try to overhear the dialog their friend was holding. Instead they directed their senses outward to detect any threats.

After a few moments Saeron opened his eyes and looked into the expectant faces of his friends. Elladan could not contain his impatience any longer. “What have you learned, my friend?” he whispered his eyes never leaving their surroundings.

“The trees are not warning of an immediate threat, yet there is great unrest and discontent. Something upsetting has happened, apart from the fact that Thoran has taken the rule of this realm by force, that is!”

Elrohir directed an uneasy glance at his brother. Even if he was not satisfied with this vague statement he knew from experience that it was futile to ask for more tangible details. The information Saeron was getting from the trees was always on an empathic level, never anything specific.

Nonetheless he would not make the mistake of ignoring any warning from the ancient sentries. Even if he could not commune with the trees in the way every wood elf could, he knew about the connection and this bond had saved them from harm many times.

However before the three young elves could decide what direction to take next, Saeron jerked his head up and stared into the dark path ahead. Elladan knew that Saeron could no more see through the darkness that he could, but again he had the support of the trees to compensate his inability to pierce the gloom.

The twin brothers were readying their bows assuming that something or someone was coming their way. The still relaxed posture of his friend however made Elladan frown. Whatever was approaching seemed to mean no harm.

His assumption was confirmed a second later when Saeron held up his hand. “Stay your weapons, my friends. Members of the border guard are nearing. They are on our side.”

Elrohir nodded and unstrung his bow while Elladan followed the request more reluctantly. Saeron had been away for over six weeks and many unforeseeable things could have happened.

Regardless he would not complicate the situation further, yet he would remain cautious. After all, they had their mission; to observe and judge the current situation in King Thranduil’s realm. His father’s decision to send warriors over the mountains would depend on their evaluation.

A moment later four elves dropped from the trees just in front of Saeron. Although he had half-expected this Elladan was startled by their sudden appearance and had some difficulty holding his equally startled mount still. Elrohir swore softly under his breath.

Saeron had not blinked nor had his mount moved an inch. The great stallion had even lowered his head was being indulged with a tender stroking of his nose from the elf standing in front of him. All three elves dismounted, yet kept their horses close by.

“My Prince, we are glad that you have returned and…not alone as we see,” the elf still stroking the muzzle of Saeron´s stallion said with a bow and a flick of his eyes toward the Imladrin elves. With a fluid motion he turned and inclined his head. “I also greet the sons of Elrond. Welcome to our realm even if the hour of our meeting is not so fortunate.”

Elladan and Elrohir acknowledged the greeting with a tip of their heads and the traditional words. “We thank you for the welcome. May the light shine on your path even if that light is now obscured.”

The elf standing before them radiated serenity and calm that caused the older twin to doubt that he was a simple member of the Border Guard. Saeron’s next words confirmed his assumption.

“Elladan, Elrohir, I would like to introduce Lathron, commander of the southern section of Mirkwood.

While the elf bowed again Elladan raised an eyebrow. He knew that Mirkwood was divided into four defensive sections, each commanded by a single commander who got his orders directly from the Troop Commander, Saeron’s brother Galadhion, or the King himself.

The Southern Section was considered to be the most dangerous of the four divisions because Dol Guldűr was located there. If Lathron was now leading this small group of warriors himself, through the outer regions of Mirkwood and far away from his usual territory, something profound must have happened to the well organized structure of this realm.

“My Lord, we are at your service. My father sends his greetings,” Elrohir retorted quickly after an uncomfortable silence. Although he knew what thoughts occupied his brother’s mind he could not refrain from sending an annoyed gaze at his silent sibling. Long ago he had accepted Elladan as their spokesperson.

Saeron however seemed not to have noticed the exchange or ignored it and addressed Lathron again. “Commander, please give me a short overview of what has been happening. Has there been any news of my father?” he asked while doing a great effort to mask his feelings. He had been away for over six weeks now and so much could have changed or happened in the meantime.

Saeron did not miss the flick of the Commander’s eyes toward the twin brothers standing at a respectable distance yet near enough to be able to hear every word.

“Commander, you can speak openly. Lord Elrond has granted us his full support. A troop of warriors is standing ready to aid us if necessary. They need only be summoned,” the prince added and let no room for an argument.

Lathron noticed Saeron’s tone immediately and snapped back to attention. Even if Saeron was not his Troop Commander he was a son of his King and his orders had to be followed without question.

“As you command, my Lord,” he said with a neutral tone, “but we should leave the path and retreat to a more…secluded spot. There is much to report.”

Only nodding, Saeron motioned for the twin brothers to follow the already retreating guards, while he brought up the rear. He was anxious to know what had happened while he was away.

 

 

……………………………

 

After gathering in a small clearing well off the path, and starting a small, smokeless fire, the elves sat down. Two of the warriors had returned to their posts in the trees to guard their prince and his guests. To a casual observer the scene could have been mistaken for a relaxed group around the fire, but in reality, it was anything but. The elves were neither relaxed nor were their tales merry ones to share.

After the sentries had confirmed that all was quiet Lathron begun to report what had happened while the prince had been away. Elladan and Elrohir listened intently their uneasiness growing with every additional word from the warrior.

“The Troop Commander and Chief of the Home Guard were able to gather many of the women and children and brought them safely to the old gathering place,” he began. 

Saeron nodded grimly.  So far their actions had agreed with what Galadhion and he had formulated before he had left for Imladris.  For the benefit of the twins Lathron had the grace to use names and point out details the brothers were not familiar with.

“In the meantime we established a defensible position and daily more refugees still loyal to our King arrive.” Saeron did not have to ask how difficult it must have been to supply so many elves with bare essentials. Yet with every day the risk increased that Thoran would detect them or send a spy amongst them and the atmosphere in the camp was accordingly tense.

When Lathron paused to take a sip of the tea they had boiled over the fire Saeron took a deep breath. “Any news of the King?” he asked. He could barely contain his anxiety any longer.

The twin brothers avoided the gaze of their friend because they could well sympathize with him and even the stern face of Lathron softened.

“Your brother was able to deliver a message to the King, although we do not know if it reached him.” Saeron only nodded. His father was alive but that was all he could say for sure. Thranduil would never transfer any discomfort through the bond he shared with his children. So he could not judge the state his father was in. Knowing Thoran he would surely made the imprisonment as trying as possible.

Saeron clenched his fists. He was used to action, to looking his opponent in the eyes. This cat and mouse game was wrecking his nerves.

“Is there any information about how the situation presents itself at the palace? How many followers does Thoran have around him?” Saeron asked determined to bring his focus back.

“Again the only reliable information came from your brother as sparse as it is. Thoran’s fellows are spread all over the palace but they cannot be enough to cover the whole area, yet he must have some benefit we do not know of…..”

Saeron narrowed his eyes. “What do you mean by that?” he interrupted in a carefully neutral tone. The foreboding let Saeron’s innards knot. Thoran was mad and unpredictable. Even Elladan and Elrohir had stiffened. How could this elf control as huge an area as the palace grounds without enough men? What foulness did they have to consider?

“Two days ago we attempted an assault against the palace to test the real strength of Thoran,” Lathron continued evenly but Saeron could catch the flashing of the Commander’s eyes for a fleeting moment. He swallowed. The strained tone of the Commander predicted nothing pleasant and the word choice “attempt” disturbed him greatly.

After refilling his cup Lathron continued. “Some of our warriors had barely crossed the bridge in front of the palace when the doors opened and an ellith appeared on the steps; one of the kitchen servants I have learned. She begged us not to attack because Thoran was holding all elflings within the palace as hostage and would kill them if we set one foot inside.”

Lathron had barely finished his last word when Saeron sprung up. “What?” he cried heedless of the annoyed gazes the sentries on the trees were giving him.

“Has he now completely lost his mind?” the prince asked again although in a much quieter voice. Knowing that he would not get an answer he clenched his fists in frustration. Elladan and Elrohir had also risen in shock and looked aghast at the section commander.

This was incredulous but it made one thing clear for them. Thoran was not worth negotiating with. He had already crossed a line of no return; there was no longer a basis to consider this elf a reasonable opponent. He was mad and had to be handled like the criminal he was.

Yet they did not have the right to judge or act in any way. The decisions had to come from their friend and the responsible elves at this realm. Yet another thing had become clear. Thoran could not be stopped with a great number of warriors. He had to be defeated with his own weapons.

 

To be continued…………….

 

 

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List