Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Revolution  by Laikwalâssę

Revolution


Chapter 30: pay-off

While racing after Thoran, Thranduil had to make a conscious effort not to draw his bow and shoot the fleeing elf from his horse. The fear of accidentally injuring his son stayed his hand but did nothing to dampen his fury.

He physically felt his child’s fear. But even though their bond was now reactivated he was unable to send calming thoughts through it. His son, nearly hysterical with fear, had shut down. After screaming in terror Legolas had ceased struggling and was now hanging limply in the strong grip of his tormentor. Thoran had forced the elfling to lie face down across his horse.

Subconsciously Thranduil recognized his two other sons racing above him through the trees not a breath behind. As grateful as he was for their steadying presence his focus was directed solely at Thoran. Now he would make sure that it was the last time the agitator had fooled him.

The King was ripped from his thoughts when Thoran´s horse suddenly reared up in protest. The dark haired elf had brutally forced the poor beast to an abrupt stop. With a sharp command Thranduil stopped his stallion as quickly, yet much more gently.

To his horror and without any chance to interfere Thranduil saw Thoran grab Legolas by his hair and fling him forcefully from the horse. The elfling was thrown against a tree trunk where his small body hit hard before landing limply on the forest floor.

Before the King could even blink twice Saeron had jumped from a tree and knelt beside his brother. Thoran, meanwhile, had turned his horse and was again racing away. Swallowing hard, Thranduil was torn between dismounting to ascertain the state of his child or following the fleeing elf.

“Saeron!” he shouted, his anxiousness getting the better of him. His second son looked up in irritation and shock. “He’s alive!” the dark haired young elf answered, knowing that this was the only vital information his father demanded. The King only nodded grimly.

While Saeron gently gathered the limp body of his brother into his arms Thranduil spurred his horse onward. The stallion made a mighty leap and resumed the pursuit. With a quick look upward Thranduil realized that Galadhion had also resumed the chase.

The King’s face had become a grim mask. Again he had made the mistake of underestimating Thoran. Again he had not believed that an elf could be that cruel. He would not hesitate again. As soon as the opportunity presented itself he would stop Thoran and he would not let his actions be dictated by mercy.

 

…………………………………

As soon as his father was out of sight Saeron spread a cloak on the ground and placed his brother carefully on it. He had just knelt beside the still body when he again heard hoof beats coming closer and with great speed. A few seconds later the King’s personal guards thundered past them with not so much as a glance at the two princes. Saeron grimaced. He could well sympathize with their haste. They were supposed never to leave the King’s side when accompanying him outside the fortress but his father had given them no chance to fulfil their duty when he had chased after Thoran. Now they had to make up for their negligence.

Shortly after the royal guards had passed, Glorfindel, Celeborn and the twins came into sight. Saeron let out a relieved breath. He was in dire need of a healer and with the brothers he had two competent ones at once.

He could not glimpse the six warriors but he was sure they were already guarding this spot. With a worried glance he briefly glanced into the direction that his father had gone. Thranduil was a formidable warrior and Saeron had no doubts that the King was able to handle Thoran, yet the King had left in a rage and fury was directing his actions at the moment. Hopefully his father would cool down before the fight and regain his equilibrium. Saeron did not expect Thoran to escape alive and he did not care.

As soon as the four elves had spotted him they stopped their mounts and hastened toward him. While Elladan and Elrohir instantly knelt beside Legolas and began examining him, Celeborn and Glorfindel stood, observing their surroundings.

Knowing that his brother was in capable hands Saeron rose and joined the two elder elves. ”What happened, Saeron?” Celeborn asked his tone carefully neutral. “Where is your father?”

Saeron sighed. This situation was as unnerving to him as it was to the others. “Thoran suddenly stopped and threw my brother from his horse,” Saeron explained and motioned at the tree Legolas was lying beneath.

While Celeborn did not show any outward emotions Glorfindel took a deep intake of breath. Both elves had enough imagination to guess how this had played out.

“My father resumed his pursuit. Galdhion went with him as did his two guards,” Saeron finished his brief report when no question or comment was made.

Celeborn still said nothing he only looked ahead down the path. Glorfindel placed a hand on the lower arm of silver haired elf. “This is Thranduil´s fight. I think we should not interfere.”

When a frown crossed Celeborn´s face Saeron knew that the elf of the Golden Wood had the same doubts about his father’s mental state as he did.

“I will follow him, but remain out of sight until something gets out of hand. If you would stay with the children I would be glad.” Glorfindel only inclined his head and before Saeron could utter one word the fair haired elf had vanished into the trees.

Saeron only raised an eyebrow at Celeborns words. Oddly enough, being called a child did not bother him. The ancient elf did not mean any insult; it was a simple statement of fact. Compared to him, the twins, he and Legolas were no more then children.

Hearing a sob, Saeron turned and joined the twins surrounding the young prince on the ground followed by Glorfindel. To his great relief Legolas was waking. He looked around confused while being surrounded by strange elves. Seeing his lower lip begin to tremble, Saeron quickly stepped closer making sure that his brother could see him.

When Legolas stretched out his left arm Saeron looked quickly toward Elladan, for permission to lift the boy. Elladan nodded but made a gesture for him to be careful. The boy’s right arm was broken. The older twin had already secured the limb in a tight bandage and a sling.

The elfling had a big bump on the right side of his head and dried blood from a gash to his temple was still clinging to his face. Elladan had wrapped a bandage around the child’s head to cover the injury after applying some salve. Just as Saeron was lifting his brother up Elrohir removed his hands from a prominent bruise along the elfling´s ribs after imparting some healing energy.

Saeron gathered the small body in his arms and gently rocked the sobbing child. He could barely suppress his anger. If Thoran had been here now he would have beaten him to make him feel the same pain his brother was now forced to endure.

Elrohir looked with sympathy at the elfling. He and his brother had provided the basic help that could be done in the field; but the child needed to be looked over by a healer at the palace and cared for properly. He most likely had a concussion and a rib was broken or at least was cracked.

After the boy had cried himself to exhaustion at his brother’s chest Glorfindel rose and whistled for their horses. Elladan had not dared to drug the elfling not knowing the exact extent of his injuries. A sleeping potion could be dangerous with a head injury. The twins gathered their healing supplies and helped Saeron to his feet.

After Saeron had mounted Elladan´s horse, the older twin placed Legolas into his arms. Elladan slipped behind his brother on the back of his horse and the four elves returned the way they had come as quickly as possible. Glorfindel brought up the rear to make sure that nothing further would befall the young elves, while the Twins rode ahead to notify the palace healers of their need.

 

………………………………………..

Thranduil was only a few paces behind Thoran. While he was guiding his stallion in perfect harmony through the dense undergrowth, Thoran was having a much harder time coaxing the horse he had stolen forward. The mare did not appreciate being forced through the trees and bushes by a rider she did not know.

With grim satisfaction Thranduil recognized that the tree limbs parted for him while they were blocking Thoran, striking him across the face more then once. With a silent thanks to the ancient trees Thranduil determined to end this race now, once and for all. He was tired of the games this elf was playing and he had no qualms about calling him to account for his crimes.

When an exceptionally sturdy branch moved into Thoran´s way Thranduil quickly ducked and smiled when the renegade elf was forcefully thrown from his horse.

Quickly Thranduil brought his stallion to a halt and nocked an arrow while dismounting. Then he swore because he was too near to his enemy to use the powerful weapon. Yet he had no time to ponder how to engage Thoran. The fallen elf had recovered quickly and was already advancing with his sword raised. Thranduil discarded his bow and drew his own sword. He got in a defensive stance and deflected the first blow effortlessly.

Thoran´s aggressive attack demonstrated that he was not going to play with Thranduil. The stroke that had been directed at him had been intended to kill.

The elven King took a deep breath. He had long rehearsed how he would handle Thoran, if he had the opportunity. The elf had already been banished and Thranduil could not think of a worse penalty, hadn’t the deeds Thoran had committed since his escape warranted a harsher sentence?

The elf had obviously thrown all rational thinking and sympathy to the wind. Was he seeking death?

Thranduil was not determined to deal out death, yet this troublemaker had to be stopped. He could not risk any other elf or man suffering from the hand of Thoran.

Before Thranduil had any chance to engage further in the fight he sensed someone approaching. While parrying another blow the King glanced to the side. He recognized one of his personal guards advancing. Bregolas slid from his horse and readied his sword.

Since Thranduil was standing between Bregolas and Thoran the guard had no direct view of his opponent. Thoran took immediate advantage of this. Before Thranduil had any chance to step back far enough Thoran had pulled a knife from his boot and thrown it at the advancing elf. The knife was thrown true, embedding itself in the chest of Bregolas and the guard was dead before his body touched the ground.

Thranduil glanced briefly at the still body but suppressed his anger into cold determination. Once again Thoran had forfeited his right to live. Now he would rid Arda of this mad elf. With a war cry Thranduil raised his sword and attacked.

 

……………………………………..

Celeborn was not far behind the two elves. He wanted to be near enough to interfere should something unexpected happen, but he wanted to stay his distance and not distract Thranduil or affect the King’s concentration. He would not let Thoran win much less escape. Thoran was mad and not an opponent to be underestimated. He would fight unfairly and unpredictably.

After the two combatants had stopped racing through the forest, he also had restrained his pursuit and had settled himself in the embrace of a great oak. The tree offered its leaves as shelter without obscuring his view.

Just when the two opponents were ready to engage one another Celeborn heard hurried hoof beats. He looked back along the path behind him and soon saw the King’s royal guards.

When they were about to pass the tree in which he was sitting, the Lord of the Golden Wood jumped down just in front of the horses. Both beasts were startled but came to a quick halt. The guards looked bewildered at the appearance of the stranger but quickly recognized him.

“My Lord, I’m Bregolas, this is my fellow guard Tharan. Please clear the way. We must be by our Lord’s side!” the guard in front said. He was barely able to restrain his urge to thunder past the Elf-lord.

Celeborn held up his hand. “I understand your desire to come to your Lord’s aid, yet I deem it most unwise to announce your presence just yet. The King must not be distracted!”

Bregolas looked in annoyance at the silver haired elf. Aside from that fact that it was his duty; he would gladly give his life for his King. Before Celeborn could react Bregolas had manoeuvred his horse around the Elf-Lord and ridden ahead.

Celeborn looked sternly at the other guard and this time he succeeded. While Tharan was not content to remain away from his King’s side, he respected the older elf’s judgement.

Celeborn motioned for the elf to follow him and together they neared the clearing silently. Celeborn froze when he heard a startled cry undoubtedly uttered from the King. Fearing the worst he took a few steps more and looked in horror at the scene unfolding.

Just when Bregolas had entered the clearing Thoran had killed the guard with a thrown knife. Tharan bit his lip hard to restrain an enraged cry.

When the King attacked Thoran, Celeborn motioned for the guard to follow him up the tree he had originally been hiding in. Briefly Celeborn took a look around and wondered where Galadhion was hiding. He could not glimpse the King’s son anywhere but he was sure he was there.

“Let us watch how this works out. We will not desert your King, this I promise!” Celeborn said to the guard. Tharan´s lips were pressed into a thin line and he only nodded.

The King was not alone, yet often a controlled situation can get out of hand much too fast……

 

To be continued…………………..

 

 

 

 

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List