Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Elf Academy Part Deux  by Fiondil

9: Tuesday Night at the Blue Petrel

The next morning after breakfast, Alex saw Derek and the others off on their field trip, then made his way to the archery field where he was surprised to see Zach, though Roy was not there. The young man was looking over some bows that had already been brought out. He looked up with a smile in greeting as Alex approached.

"Good morning."

"Morning. What are you doing here? I thought Roy was teaching me."

"He is. As I said last night, I like to keep up my archery and since Roy is giving you this lesson, I thought I would join you. It’s more fun to shoot with a partner."

"I guess," Alex said with a shrug as he looked over the bows. "I suspect that Roy is not too happy to have to give this lesson."

"No, I’m not."

The two young men looked around to see Roy walking towards them, his face set in a scowl. He was carrying a large bow, larger than the ones provided by the college, with a quiver slung over his shoulder. "Sarah and I had plans for this morning."

"Ah, Sarah," Zach said with an exaggerated sigh, giving Roy a sly smile.

"Quiet, you," Roy growled, but Alex sensed that the man wasn’t as angry as he sounded and was merely grumbling for show.

"Sorry," Alex said, "but Gil insisted I have this lesson."

Roy nodded. "And so we shall. Have you done archery before?"

Alex shook his head and then couldn’t help grinning. "The only target practice I was interested in while in college was scoring with Rachel Blumberg."

Both Zach and Roy laughed. "And did you succeed?" Roy asked.

"Now that would be telling," Alex retorted with a laugh of his own.

"Well, let’s find you a bow and get you started," Roy said and he proceeded to pick out one or two of the larger bows for him to test.

****

The lesson went well and by the end Roy was satisfied that Alex at least knew which end of the arrow was which. "Enough not to cause yourself or another an injury at any rate," was his comment as the three of them put away the equipment. Roy had taken time near the end of the lesson to give Alex a demonstration of his own skills, leaving Alex feeling a bit shell-shocked. Zach appeared competent with the bow and more often than not hit the bull’s-eye.

"After two years of practice, I hope I’ve improved," he said when Alex commented on his skills.

"You have," Roy said. "Loren is very proud of your efforts."

Alex saw Zach practically glow with pride at those words of praise. Apparently Loren’s approval was very important to the younger man. He remembered that same feeling of pride whenever Ambrose praised him and the need to keep his approval. Alex wondered what Ambrose must think of him now, but shied away from that thought. He still wasn’t sure in his own mind how he would confront the former agent.

"Well, go grab some lunch you two," Roy said once everything was put away, "and then I’ll meet you out front Alex at one o’clock and drive you over to Lookout Safari."

Alex nodded and then he and Zach headed back to the Academy for lunch.

True to his word, Roy was waiting for him out front and they were soon off towards Bettles and Lookout Safari. There was little conversation between them. Alex was feeling suddenly shy. Roy didn’t look much older than he, yet all during the archery lesson Alex had felt as if he were in the presence of someone who was much older. Even Zach had been very respectful, more so than one would expect. During the lesson it had been easy to keep their conversation limited to the subject of archery, but now Alex was at a loss. He was not sure what to say or if he should say anything, so he stared out the side window, watching the scenery go by. He almost jumped when Roy suddenly spoke.

"Gil said he found you in the woods."

Alex felt the blood drain from his face and there was a queasy feeling in the pit of his stomach as he thought of that encounter and hoped he would not be sick. He had no idea why the memory upset him as it did.

Roy glanced over at him and then brought the car to a halt by the side of the road. "Alex, look at me," he commanded softly.

Alex swallowed a couple of times, trying to get his emotions under control, not wanting to comply.

"Alex."

The sound of his name, so softly spoken, yet full of deep sympathy and understanding, broke his resolve and to his utter horror he found himself crying without knowing why. He sensed rather than saw Roy unbuckle both their seatbelts and then climb out of the car to come to the passenger side where he opened the door and drew Alex outside. For the second time in as many days, Alex found himself being hugged.

"It’s all right," Roy crooned. "It’s all right."

"This is so stupid," Alex protested as he tried to stifle his tears.

"There’s nothing stupid about honest emotions," Roy countered, rubbing Alex’s back to comfort him.

"What’s happening to me?" Alex implored.

"What happens to many people who come here," Roy replied, releasing Alex from his embrace to look him in the eye. His expression was one of compassion. "This place can change people in rather remarkable ways. It changed me."

"You? How?"

"Before I came to Wiseman, well, let’s just say that there had never been anyone like Sarah in my life."

"Ah, Sarah," Alex couldn’t help saying in the same tone of voice Zach had used as he wiped the tears from his eyes with the back of his hands.

Roy merely grinned. "Ready to go on?" he asked and when Alex nodded, they both got back into the car and were soon on their way again.

"So, just why did you apply to the Academy?" Roy asked.

Alex sighed. "I’m beginning to wonder myself." It was the only answer he was willing to give, since in truth he hadn’t applied to the Academy.

"I should tell you that not everyone was happy to know that you were staying," Roy said. "Some of the other students were rather upset by your attitude and went to Loren insisting he send you packing."

"Why didn’t he?"

"Loren is a believer in lost causes."

"Gil said something like that," Alex said with a frown. "I asked him how anyone could consider me a lost cause when I’d only been here a few days."

"Yes, well, let’s just say that you were not endearing yourself to your fellow classmates with your constant questioning."

"It just seems so odd to be learning a language and a history that is invented."

Roy chuckled in amusement. "My dear Alex, every language you’ve ever heard of is invented, and the same goes for any history you might have read about. Do you seriously think the history you’ve been taught is entirely correct and error-free? I can assure you it is not. History is an invention, like anything else. The ancient Hebrews actually invented the concept of history. It did not exist in the same sense as we know it today in the classical world of the Greeks and Romans. And each language is an invention, created out of necessity or desire or just for the hell of it."

"Just for the hell of it?" Alex couldn’t help repeating, raising an eyebrow in disbelief.

Roy flashed him a wide grin. Alex couldn’t help grinning back and then he turned his attention to the scenery rushing by as they sped down the James Dalton Highway towards Bettles. Roy remained silent, allowing him the space he needed to think, for which he was grateful.

Reaching Lookout Safari, Alex thanked Roy for the lift. "I’m sorry I ruined your day off," he said as he started to unbuckle the seatbelt.

Roy gave him a surprised look and then laughed. "Who said anything about a day off? I only said that Sarah and I had plans. But thanks anyway. I’ll see you later."

Alex waved good-bye as Roy sped away, then looked around for the others and saw the buses on the other side of the parking lot, relieved to see that people were just getting off, so he wasn’t late. Spying Derek in the crowd, he called out and Derek waved.

"Just in time," Derek said as Alex joined him. "How did the archery lesson go?"

"Well, I didn’t accidently shoot myself in the foot with an arrow, so I guess I did okay," Alex replied with a laugh. "Zach was there. Said something about it being more fun with a partner."

"Zach’s pretty cool for all that he’s still young. He just became legal last spring."

"He seems more mature than most guys that age, certainly more mature than I was."

"Tell me about it," Derek said with a wide grin. "Ah, I think the tour is about to begin."

The two of them turned their attention to the man who was addressing them, telling them about the company and directing them towards a large barn-like facility where they were introduced to the huskies and practiced sledding on artificial snow.

"Though, in a month or so, we’ll see the real thing," the owner of the safari company told them. "It’s a whole different ballgame when you’re sledding on actual trails."

Still, Alex felt more confident about his ability to handle the dogs than he had about handling the reindeer, so he came away from the lesson feeling better about himself. He noticed that some of the other students were rather cool towards him, but as he only had himself to blame for it, he tried not to let it get to him. At least Derek was willing to give him a second chance and there was his new friend, Zach, so he was grateful for small favors.

Later, after dinner, he and Derek joined many others in their first pennywhistle class. There were enough students interested in learning the instrument that they started out the meeting in the cafeteria where they were joined by Darren, Roy, Dan, Sarah and another woman named Holly. Alex assumed the two were sisters, for they could almost have passed as twins. The students were broken up into smaller groups and Alex found himself in the group being led by Roy.

"A man of many talents," he quipped with a smile. "Is there anything you can’t do?"

"Still haven’t gotten the hang of ribbon embroidery," Roy retorted with a straight face and Alex laughed.

Roy’s group made its way to one of the classrooms where they spent a happy hour learning how to play the pennywhistle. By the end of the lesson they could all pick out a simple holiday tune.

"We’ll get together again Thursday night in this room," Roy said as he dismissed them. "If any of you can read music, go ahead and see if you can play any of the songs that you are learning in the Dealing with Children class, otherwise, just concentrate on perfecting your technique. Have a good evening, everyone."

Alex joined the exodus, trailing behind, so he was still in the room when Sarah squeezed through the crowd. He saw Roy’s eyes light up and smiled at the couple. He was just about to exit when two other people came to the door and he stepped back in dismay to let them in. Ambrose Elwood gave him a nod as he walked past and Alex hoped that meant that his former mentor did not recognize him. Della would have followed but Alex held out a hand to stay her. He was uncomfortably aware of Elwood standing behind him.

Della gave him an enquiring look and he swallowed a little nervously. "I... want to apologize for yesterday," he said.

She did not answer immediately, but stared at him with an intensity that unnerved him. It was as if she could read his very soul and he suddenly realized that she gave him the same searching look as Elwood used to when the man was training him. Alex forced himself not to break eye contact and after a moment Della spoke.

"Apology accepted," she said, then patted him on the arm. "I’ll see you next Monday then and don’t forget to read the assignment. Derek will tell you what it is."

"Yes, ma’am," Alex replied and was relieved when she turned her gaze away. He stood at the doorway for a few seconds trying to remember to breathe properly and overheard Elwood speaking to Roy and Sarah.

"Man sad anírel bado as sogad?"

"iGuin Luin?" Roy suggested and everyone else nodded.

Alex stared at Elwood in surprise, not expecting him to rattle off words in that Sindarin with such fluid ease. As the four started to leave, Alex belatedly realized he was still standing at the doorway eavesdropping and blocking their path. He felt himself reddening under four pairs of amused looking eyes.

"We’re on our way to the Blue Petrel for a drink. You’re welcome to join us," Roy said.

"Uh... thanks... but... I think I’ll pass," Alex replied, not daring to look at Elwood. "I’ll... I’ll see you later." With that he quickly made his escape and felt himself reddening even more when he heard one of the women laughing lightly. He refused to look back to see who it was. Turning the corner he nearly crashed into Derek who was with a few others, including Zach.

"Whoa! Alex, slow down. Where’s the fire?" Derek said laughingly.

"Ah... sorry... I...."

"We’re heading into town for a couple of beers," Derek said. "Care to join us?"

"Er... I.... don’t....."

"C’mon," Zach said, grabbing his arm. "All that pennywhistling makes a man thirsty."

Before Alex knew it, he was being hustled along by Zach and Derek while the others, a mix group of young men and women, followed. In spite of the fact that it was after eight o’clock, the sun was still high in the sky and the air was relatively warm, so they all decided to walk into town. He kept protesting that he was in no mood to go drinking in the middle of the week, but neither Zach nor Derek let him go, both insisting he share one drink with them.

"And then you can go beddy," Zach said with a laugh that was echoed by the others.

So, Alex gave in to the inevitable and allowed himself to be led. The group had obviously decided earlier where they were going for there was no discussion about it. It was only when they turned off the main road onto a side street and he saw the garish neon sign before him that Alex wished he’d been able to get away.

"We’re going to the Blue Petrel?" he asked faintly.

"Do you have any objections?" Derek retorted.

Alex could only shake his head as he and the others entered the bar, which was only about half full on a Tuesday night, so it wasn’t as noisy as it might otherwise have been. The jukebox was playing an old Alan Jackson tune and the ubiquitous TV monitor was showing the latest sports news, the volume turned down low. As his eyes adjusted to the dim lighting, Alex glanced around and spied Roy, Sarah, Ambrose and Della in a corner. With them were Loren, Darren, Roy’s twin brother, Dan, and another woman whose name he did not know. Darren held a guitar-like instrument that he recognized as being a lute, quietly strumming it as his companions spoke softly to one another. He saw Roy place an arm around Sarah’s shoulder, giving her a light kiss on her temple as she leaned into him. Ambrose was holding Della’s hand as he was speaking with Loren.

Alex and Derek joined the others at the bar to give their order, but Zach went over to greet the Academy teachers. Everyone smiled warmly at the young man’s approach and they all, including Zach, began speaking in Sindarin, for Alex recognized the phrase ‘mae govannen’ if nothing else they were saying.

As he was waiting for his drink, Alex watched the interplay between Zach and the teachers and saw Zach’s expression brighten when Darren nodded at something he’d said. Zach then came to the bar, calling the barman over.

"Daeron’s agreed to sing tonight," he said and the barman nodded.

Alex watched in bemusement as the barman reached up and turned off the TV and then raised his voice over the sounds of protest. "Daeron’s singing. So no more quarters in the jukebox. We’ll just let ol’ Alan here finish whining about his lost love and then we can sit back and listen to real music."

There was a general chorus of cheers from the few other patrons and several ordered more drinks, apparently wishing to be well settled for what they knew was a treat. Alex and the other students looked at each other in bemusement. Zach smiled. "Find a seat. As soon as we’re all settled Darren will sing."

"You make it sound as if hearing Darren sing is a great honor rarely bestowed upon us poor mortals," one of the young men joked.

"Oh, you have no idea," Zach retorted.

A few minutes later, a bottle of Amstel Light in his hands, Alex found a seat along with the others. Darren, in the meantime, had positioned himself so he was facing most of the rest of the bar. An unusual silence filled the room, broken by the sound of the door opening. Someone standing nearby whispered to the newcomers and Alex saw them nodding, their expressions one of delight. They quietly made their way to the bar and whispered their orders, then found some seats.

"Everyone ready?" Darren asked with a smile.

"We’re all set, Daeron," the barman replied.

Alex realized that was the third time someone had mispronounced the man’s name.... or maybe not. But his thoughts were interrupted when Darren began playing on the lute and then he raised his voice in song:

"A Elbereth Gilthoniel...."

Alex never knew how long he sat there lost in a waking dream as he listened to Darren singing one song after another in that strange language, his beer forgotten. He could not have said what the songs were about, yet his mind seemed to supply him with fantastical images of strange human-like people with bright eyes singing the universe into being. And it seemed to him that a history unfolded before him and he was lost in the wonder of waking under starlight and walking through a dense forest. Then the scene shifted again and he found himself in a bright land of many colors where he saw a dark-haired man showing others three jewels that shone brighter than the sun.

Then Darren’s song took a darker turn and Alex felt suddenly cold, a wind biting him as he slogged across an unforgiving landscape of eternal white under the indifferent gaze of distant stars. Before it became too unbearable the scene shifted again and Alex felt rather than heard the whoosh of arrows flying by him and there was suddenly a sword in his hand and he could feel the coldness of the metal pressing against his palm. Horrors rose before him and he found himself fighting alongside others whom he could not clearly see though he thought he recognized Loren, wearing strange looking braids, his eyes almost too bright as he slew one enemy after another. History seemed to unfold further and in the center of the story were the three jewels. Scene after scene sped by and he could not clearly grasp their meaning and yet he sensed their import, that somehow what he was experiencing was ‘true’. Yet, he knew it could not possibly be and deep within him, even as he sat rapt in the spell Darren was weaving, he sorrowed that it was so.

Daeron shifted to another song and now Alex found himself in a land of tall trees, taller than redwoods, their leaves golden, and on a mound covered with gold and white flowers he saw a woman who looked liked Della dressed in a long gown, her hair crowned with a garland of flowers and there was a man with her whose face he could not see at first, but then he turned and Alex found himself staring into Ambrose’s eyes and the shock of it brought him momentarily out of his fugue.

Before he could analyze what was happening, though, Ambrose began singing as well and then Della and the others at their table joined him and Darren. Alex was not the only listener to gasp in shock as the ethereal beauty of their voices, blending so perfectly, nearly overwhelmed them with the emotions that were evoked and he was lost again in wonder.

When the song came to an end, Alex found himself blinking, as if waking up from a dream. He gazed in bemusement at those sitting next to him and saw that they looked as stunned as he felt. Then his eyes fell upon the table where Darren and the others sat and, for a brief second, he thought he saw them dressed in strange clothes, their long hair braided with gems, all of them glowing with an inner light. He rubbed his hands over his eyes as if trying to erase the image and when he opened them again he was shocked to see Ambrose and Della walking towards him arm-in-arm. "See you in the morning," Ambrose said cheerfully as he and Della passed by.

Alex just sat there, stunned, unable to think clearly, not sure what had just happened. He was startled out of his reverie when Derek tapped him on the shoulder.

"C’mon, Alex, finish up your beer. It’s time to get back."

Alex nodded and started to drink but put the bottle down and stood up. "I’m ready. Let’s go."

****

Words are Sindarin:

Man sad anírel bado as sogad?: Where do you want to go for a drink?’

iGuin Luin: ‘The Blue Petrel.’





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List