Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

B2MeM 2012: A Spirit in Shadows  by Mirach

56. Forgiveness

They faced each other – an elven prince, the former king and founder of Nargothrond, and the one who imprisoned him in his own fortress, Tol Sirion turned to Tol-in-Gaurhoth. With no pretension, no secrets, they faced each other this time, and Sauron's spirit seemed to diminish in the light of Felagund's face, for the blood of all three houses of Eldar was in his veins, and wisdom was in his eyes. Yet Finrod could not hide the distant pain in his eyes at the terrible memory of his death.

Sauron didn't move. He stood before the elven prince, as if awaiting his doom.

"Why did you come?" Finrod asked finally.

"To ask for forgiveness," Sauron replied simply.

Finrod just stared at him, unsure what to think.

"A dwarf told me to do it…" Sauron shrugged slightly, almost elegantly.

At that, Finrod found it really hard to hide his surprise.

"An old acquaintance," Sauron smiled. "It seems he was quite fond of you."

"Oh…" Finrod nodded in sudden understanding. "But why now?"

"Well, there was no chance before. I was occupied elsewhere."

"With the Rings…" Finrod said wryly.

"Yes." Sauron replied shortly. "With the Ring."

"And now you come here, asking for forgiveness…" Finrod shook his head slightly, as if it would be too much to take in.

"And you don't understand…"

Finrod nodded.

"A crown is like a ring. It binds… it gives power… What did the crown of Nargothrond mean to you?" the Maia asked quietly.

"Much." Finrod replied, looking at Sauron sharply.

"But you gave it up for a mortal. Your crown, your kingdom. You foretold your death, and yet you went with him. You gave your life for him. I… want to understand…"

Finrod sighed, and sat down at a bench near the fountain, knowing that the Maia has no power to harm him anymore. "When Galadriel married Celeborn, she asked me why I don't marry as well. It was then that I saw for the first time where the path of my life is going…"

"But you didn't turn back."

Finrod shook his head, and looked up sharply. "I still have nightmares about you and your werewolf," he stated flatly.

Sauron averted his eyes. "Even here, in Valinor?" he asked quietly.

"Does it surprise you?" Finrod raised his eyebrows.

"I just thought… that Irmo would assure you do not suffer anymore. You don't deserve it."

Now it was Finrod's turn to be surprised, and the surprise was genuine. "He… did not."

"I am sorry."

"You are?"

Sauron nodded. "When you were born in the noontide of Valinor, among Tirion's white walls, I was hiding in the ruins of Utumno, my Master a prisoner of the Valar. I was too afraid to reveal myself to be taken with him. You did it willingly, for a Mortal."

"For a friend…" Finrod said quietly.

Sauron looked at him for a long time. "For a friend…" he repeated even more quietly, and sighed.

There was a long silence between them.

"Will you give it to me, then?"

"Forgiveness?"

Sauron nodded.

"I don't know if I can. But I will try…"





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List