Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

To The End of His Days  by GamgeeFest

4. Preparations


There’s no way of knowing what the weather will be like in Valinor. Do they even have weather there? I can only assume they must, so I pack for every type of weather I can think of, along with a couple of suits for dinner parties. I tuck a pipe and a couple of pouches of weed away, one for Gandalf, just in case. I pack my brushes: head, foot, tooth and lint. 

Case full, I call Holfast to take it to the carriage with the other packages, then go into the study for my coat.

The study’s packed floor to ceiling with the gifts to be handed out tomorrow morn. The packages for Outside were sent last month. In that shipment had been letters to Strider and Lady Arwen, King Eomer, Faramir and Eowyn, Gimli, Legolas, and many other friends. The Fellowship will be getting copies of the Red Book with instructions to send on any corrections to Elanor in Westmarch. 

To my grandchildren, I’d written down my silliest poems and some of their favorite stories. Widow Rumble’s granddaughters had made the copies for me, enjoying them nearly as much the children do.

My children will get their own letters and special gifts, of course. Some of their gifts had been easy enough to figure out. As for the others, I can only hope the gifts I chose will bring them as much comfort and joy as they’ll require. Each was chosen with care, on what I thought they’d appreciate the most or get the most use of. I’ll never know if I was right. 

Holfast is nearly standing at my ear before I hear him. “Eh?” 

“All’s ready, Granddad,” he repeats, louder this time.

I look around the Bag End study one last time before following Holfast outside.




To be continued...



GF 7/29/12





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List