Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

To The End of His Days  by GamgeeFest

5. Feast


Not since the Birthday Party has such a gathering been seen in the Shire, but we Gamgees, Gardners and Cottons are a large brood. There are Tooks and Brandybucks in attendance, Bolgers, Boffins, Bagginses, Goodloves, Rumbles, Twofoots and Goodchilds. Only Elanor and her family are missing, but I’ll see them soon enough.

Of my siblings, only Goldie is still around, a widow herself. I don't like leaving her alone, but she’s got her children and grandchildren, plus Jolly, Nick and Nibs. I know she’ll be all right. 

The feast begins at teatime. The children play games and there’s much dancing and food. The cake they haul out is bigger than any I’d seen afore. I watch them carrying it and wonder if anyone will be talking about this party in the years to follow, outside the family. It makes me blush, but I think maybe they will.

The only things missing are the fireworks. Only a few of us here remember them. No one but Gandalf could make such wonders. I hope he’s still got a few rockets in Valinor, as I’d dearly love to see them again. 

Robin comes to get me at nine. Everyone’s distracted with a dance, and I slip away, my own attempt at a disappearance trick. It almost works, but then I’m surrounded by my children, grandchildren, Peregrin and Meriadoc. No tears for now, just smiles, good wishes and hugs for our friends in Valinor.

I say goodbye a couple times over afore Robin can get me in the carriage. Then we’re off, and I’m looking back at my family and Bag End for the last time. I look until the hill bends and takes them from view, but the Party Tree can still be seen for miles, white and glowing against the night sky.




To be continued...



GF 8/1/12





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List