Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

To The End of His Days  by GamgeeFest

35. Masterstone


So as it turns out, Tol Eresseä has a seeing stone. Gandalf comes a few days later to take me to the tower where it’s kept.

“The Masterstone is the strongest of the Palantír,” he says as we climb up the long stairs. He looks down and must’ve seen the worrit on my face since he quickly adds, “No, Samwise, it is not dangerous, in and of itself. It is a window into the East, nothing more. I pled your case before Taniquetil. You have been permitted this one glimpse. Use it well.”

“Did Frodo ever use it?” I ask.

“Anyone who wishes may request to use it, though not all are granted permission. Frodo, as with many others, had no need for it. Others may find it a temptation, using it to look back, getting lost it what was or might have been, forgetting the here and now. They must be kept away from it. Mostly, it is only those who have business yet in Middle-earth who use it.”

“Like you?”

“I have on occasion had need of it. On those instances, I bring word to those here who have loved ones there, such as Celebrían. She was always grateful for the news, but nothing seen within the orb can compare to the treasures that you brought her and Elrond. I’ve not seen her so happy since she returned from her visit with you.”

We eventually reach the top and I sit on the bench to catch my breath while Gandalf fiddles with the stone. When I’m ready, I mount the stool Gandalf had brought with us. I put my hands on the cool glass, and Gandalf places his hands over mine. He gives me a wink of encouragement. Taking a deep breath, I look into the stone.




GF 10/27/12




To be continued...





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List